Rear khorns

chambers1517

I'm sort of in same boat as far as my plans go. I currently have pair of Khorns & pair of LaScalas. What I'm intending on doing is making the Khorns my rear...but ALSO use them for 2 channel. I bought a Peach so I can do that (it has a HT pass through).

Just my .02

I think just about anyone who has gotten rid of K horns has regretted it. Use em someplace else...

That said, having the same up front as been debated 1 million times... It IS the perfect way to go.

So three La Scalas...yes, is your dream system. Everything else is a compromise. You will need subs, however, in a HT environment.

OK I am going to be a minor voice of dissent here. What limits you to using La Scala's up front but not Klipschorns? Aside for height limitations, the Klipschorns will essentially occupy less space. If you lack corners you can build false corners. I agree three identical front speakers is ideal, I run a three La Scala front my self and it is incredible, but the sonic difference between the Klipschorn and the La Scala is so understated in that type of setting Id be tempted to dismiss it entirely. As a matter of fact when I mange to acquire a set of Klipschorns I will be pushing my La Scalas to the side surrounds. Now I agree the rear/side surrounds should be elevated and the Klipschorns do put the squawker/tweeter slightly off vertical axis. But those channels also pull less duty and IMO you want you best performers up front. Now for two channel listening having your Klipschorns up front is to me the ideal configuration in a multi-function system. Unless you cannot accommodate corner/false corner placement, Id say find a way to put the Klipschorns up front. If it is an impossible arrangement then yes rear corners is the way to go. Either way you will need a sub in the HT environment but the Klipschorns up front will reproduce a better base for two channel listening.

R/Jim

J.4knee,

I guess I was in a mello mood when I answered that question. Maybe I slould have said this.

Sure, 3 LaScalas will work just fine up front as long as you have a good sub. You will want to cross over to the LaScalas at 65 to 80Hz.. BUT, that is the Lazy mans way to do it.

Klipschorns will give you more up front, now the sub can be set from 40 to 50Hz. Get off of your butt and build some false corners for the Klipschorns and toe them into the sweet spot. Now build 5' tall cabinets to put under the rear surround LaScalas . Place the LaScalas upside down on top of the cabinets. Experiment with the LaScalas in the rear corners. If you want more envelopement, face them into the corners. If you prefer a more direct sound face them into the room, or across the back of the room . EXPERIMENT, it's fun and you learn things.

I got into this with a single pair of LaScalas. Now I have 3 Klipschorns and 2 LaScalas up front. In the rear is a pair of Jensen Imperials (something like Klipschorns), and a pair of LaScalas. The rear LaScalas are on 5' cabinets and face the front of the room. The Imperials are about 3' in front of the LaScalas and fire across the back of the room. I use one rear center speaker, a University Classic. See, I've been lazy too. I need to put a Klipschorn in the rear center spot, instead of the Classic.

My system is ever changing. Don't ever get stuck in a rut, and start to think outside of the box.

To explain in more detail. I have a front projector. It is a high end unit. In my old theater room I had a center lascala positioned behind an acoustic screen. The khorns were in the corners. I trialed a solid screen and noticed a noticable improvement in picture quality. I also found due to my room width, I was sitting too far back for the khorns. My new room will be about 17 ft wide and have 2 rows of seats with the first row about 14ft back. I have been considering putting the 3 lascalas on the ground with the screen above them. Then surrounding the screen with an acoustic fabric with the lascalas behind it. This will solve several issues. First I can get a solid screen material for improved video. The 3 lascalas will all have the tweeters at the same height, they will also be hidden behind the fabric. The L and R lascala can also be angled for optimal sound.

chambers1517

I think were on the same path... I have all 8 split la scalas... (so dialing them in will be fine.)

17 foot wide room..

30 foot before skrims.. 3 feet up front 3 feet in the rears on angles.. in depth front to back

seating 14 - 16 feet back to the screen

Klipsch KA 100 THX amp and the KW (2) subs..

I will know soon.... carpet any day...then the fun sets in... Hooking everything up!

It is my idea of a dream system, I just hope I am right?