Several days of good friends, music and gear!

boomac

A good place to start your Von Freeman album collection is with the 2003 release "The Improvisor" on Premonition records:

B00006GA5C.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I love the sound of a sax, and will give this a try. And you guys are having too much fun [;)], thanks for sharing.

Allan Songer said: A good place to start your Von Freeman album collection is with the 2003 release "The Improvisor" on Premonition records.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wallmart does have the CD and I ordered mine last night. It should be here within a few days. I havent been able to locate a copy of the LP but I suppose one will surface on eBay sometime in the near future. I received Doin It Right Now today and it looks like it was a bargin at the $1.99 auction price. A good cleaning and it will look like new! Wow! Von was only 50 years old when this was recorded in 1972.

Allan Songer said: A good place to start your Von Freeman album collection is with the 2003 release "The Improvisor" on Premonition records.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wallmart does have the CD and I ordered mine last night. It should be here within a few days. I havent been able to locate a copy of the LP but I suppose one will surface on eBay sometime in the near future. I received Doin It Right Now today and it looks like it was a bargin at the $1.99 auction price. A good cleaning and it will look like new! Wow! Von was only 50 years old when this was recorded in 1972.

I pulled out my "Doin' It Right Now" LP and noticed that yes, Mr. John Young was on the piano back then. A much younger Mr. Young then we saw the other night. And yes Allan, my copy does have a small cut-out in the top left corner, about a quarter inch long.[:(] How about yours Scott?

Mine has the same cut out or maybe it's more like a notch. I'll bet ole' John Young was a hellova piano player in 1972. Heck, he'd have been in his late 50s!

The cover not only has a notch but that isn't the most flattering picture of Von either.

Glad you're feelin' better G-man![:)]

Scott,

I seriously doubt Von ever expected to be on the cover of GQ.[;)] In person he looks exactly like he does on his album covers! Exactly! Hat-hair and all!!! Still, he's a very charming guy and a major chick-magnet on stage.

Bruce,
Get ready for some serious random horn-blowing (as ol' Craig would say!).[:D]

I've never come across a copy of "Doin' it Right Now" that DIDN'T have a cut out! VERY slow seller--the only reason Atlantic even released this one was becuase Roland Kirk asked them to!! Kirk was selling a lot of records for the label and they did it as a favor to him I am sure.

John Young is on ALL of Von Freeman's albums from the 70's until the early 90's. You could hear flashes of his brilliant playing from years past at Andy's the other night--especially when he was pounding out the theme with his left hand WAY down on the keyboard while going off with his right hand--he did this to great effect on the two Von Freeman LPs on Nessa in the 70's.

I have a GREAT trio record on Argo from the mid-50's where Young is the leader called "Young John Young" and another on Delmark from the 60's called Serenata. I think there are other Argo records where Young is the leader, as Argo was a Chicago label, but I have yet to come across any of them--must be exceedingly rare. Young was quite a player--he can sound like Red Garland one minute and then McCoy Tyner the next, but that's not really fair--he really had his own voice.

And I looked it up, John Young is only 85 years old, not 90!!

Yeah, he looks the same on the CD covers but on "Doin it Right Now" it just don't look like the cool old dude I saw on stage. Even if it was 33 years ago. I just figure they could have come up with a better cover for the LP.