What's a good reciever to get under 800?

micah_james

I got a real crappy reciever and I was wanting to get a better one if

possible. The reciever i'm using a cheap one at walmart.com by

pioneer with supposedly 1000watts at 100 watt rms per channel,

5.1. My center speaker is the Synergy C-3 and the sub is

the Synergy Sub-12.

This is the website for the reciever

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3880829

I'm using the other speakers it came with for now.

I was wondering, should I go Synergy all the way? With the S-3's and the F-3's?

Any help would be great!

Micah,

Yes Get the F3 and the S3 speakers, you will be thrilled by them. It is important that your main and center channel speakers match .

A Great HT receiver is the Yamaha HTR 58060 (BEST BUY), OR the Yamaha RX-V 657 sold at online stores. Finally look at Onkyo TX-SR 602. (newer model is the 702).

Welcome to the madness. Seems your getting an audio education the hard way. Good Luck

Look into used or last years models, for example the yamaha reciever that I purchased a year ago was supersceded by the htr-5890 and the only difference was some cosmetics and it was satradio ready. You can get the htr-5790 for like $400 bucks online NIB as opposed to the latest model for $800 at BB. Just a thought.

I am personally kinda partial to Pioneer. Many of their higher end models are virtually the same reciever as the Pioneer Elite modes, without the fancy chasis.

I currently run Pioneer's flagship the 1015tx. Less than 500 bucks at Best Buy. THX Select2 Certified. This is the first receiver to recieve this certification.

(The difference between Select 2 and Ultra 2 is the room size it is rated for. Select 2 is certified by THX for use in rooms up to 2000 Square feet)

A used HK did the trick for me. I did the factory direct with warranty on ebay, or you could find something on audiogon.

I have actually been perusing for the last few weeks for a buddy who is putting together a budget hometheater and your price range is about where he is at as well.

Most everything in the last few years in this price range is going to have all of the bells and whistles one needs. I like the high current capabilities of HK for the dynamics of movies but that may not be a factor for you.

How about a Denon AVR-3805? $690 on Agon.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1134066129

Micah, welcome to the forum. [:)]

I agree with rcarlton. If you can find a Denon AVR-3805 (from a reliable source) for under $800, that would be a good option. IMHO, if you can find a Denon AVR 3803 (discontinued) for under $400 you would be equally as happy and have a few more cents to spend on DVD's. [;)] Good luck on your search.

HK and Denon are good brands. www.onecall.com has a deal on an Onkyo TXNR 801. It has an MSRP of $999 but they have it for $554.77 including the coupon code for the current sale. THX Select 7.1 certification. You can connect Ethernet so you can play MP3s or streaming Internet radio from your PC. Multizone support. 100 watts per channel at 0.08%THD. Although it has tons of digital optical, component and S-video connections it does NOT have DVI or HDMI. That's the only thing I wish it had. Still, for $555 it's a pretty good deal.

I am personally kinda partial to Pioneer. Many of their higher end models are virtually the same reciever as the Pioneer Elite modes, without the fancy chasis.

I currently run Pioneer's flagship the 1015tx. Less than 500 bucks at Best Buy. THX Select2 Certified. This is the first receiver to recieve this certification.

(The difference between Select 2 and Ultra 2 is the room size it is rated for. Select 2 is certified by THX for use in rooms up to 2000 Square feet)

My guess is that the rating is actually for rooms up to 2,000 CUBIC ft. being that a 2,000 sq ft room would easily contain my entire house, LOL