Decorator Heresey- PIX ARE UP!

colterphoto1

It looks like there's enough veneer there for a pair of slanted riser bases. But I'm in no hurry. Maybe on your next trip up this way I could meet ya for lunch and blast your eardrums one more time....

Michael,

Didn't know if you already had risers..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Heresy-Walnut-Risers_W0QQitemZ5825550893QQcategoryZ61378QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem .

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks BIll, that beats building them myself. Although I'm probably going to be doing a few for Cornwalls next spring. Also looks like I'll be in the grille business (but not for this pair). Got lots of broken, stained, torn CW grilles with the latest purchases.

Be on the lookout for a pair of Forte II's for me, will ya?

M

Todd, Greg or others,

How much do you think that Titebond sank into the veneer in that one spot? Even with heat applied, that's pretty thick glue, I'll be some careful sanding could at least minimize that band of off-color or feather the edges a bit so it's not so noticeable.

Todd, I'll take your suggestion and not attack this spot unless I hear that it's pretty possible to minimize this effect. I'd hate to butcher up the finish even worse trying to minimize this.

It looks like there's enough veneer there for a pair of slanted riser bases. But I'm in no hurry. Maybe on your next trip up this way I could meet ya for lunch and blast your eardrums one more time....

btw, congrats on those beauty LS's. Now aren't you glad you waited it out and didn't con me into selling mine? See you came out much better. AL3's- dude I'm jealous.

Michael

Yes to all, but the jealousy part. The La Scala's really open things up. I think that I may return to the B-3 in the Cornwalls. Seriously. I'm that convinced. And now for the finishing touch, the Klipsch Badges...

Nice work Michael, those look great! Man that is some pretty veneer.

BS,

After I did the Cornwall's which now belong to St. Patrick, I did my Rosewood Khorns. Then, I bought a set of '76 walnut Belles and started the "full Enchilada" refurb, but had to stop and put them in storage. We sold our home and are in the process of moving into a rental until our new home is finished. Hopefully I will get back to the Belles by March or so once we are in the new place.

Jordan

Nice work Michael, those look great! Man that is some pretty veneer.

BS,

After I did the Cornwall's which now belong to St. Patrick, I did my Rosewood Khorns. Then, I bought a set of '76 walnut Belles and started the "full Enchilada" refurb, but had to stop and put them in storage. We sold our home and are in the process of moving into a rental until our new home is finished. Hopefully I will get back to the Belles by March or so once we are in the new place.

Jordan

The Norm Abrahms of Klipsch has spoken. Gosh Jorjen, where you been?

No way BS, Greg has that distinction, I have only attempted to follow in his footsteps. But thanks for the compliment just the same.

Geez, for the last couple of months all I have been doing is getting the house ready to go on the market. Home sales have slowed to a crawl here due to excessive inventory so I have been very concerned. But, our home sold in less than a week, go figure. I guess all the little things I did paid off. Maybe it sold so fast because I included the Khorns in the deal.....yeah right![;)].

Now comes the fun part. Since our home sold much faster than anticipated, we are having to move TWICE. Once into a rental and then again in February when the new place is finished. The worst part of it all is it has left little to no time for playing with the toys, damn! Oh, but I did finally find the time today to ship off my Blueberry to Mark for the "Xtreme" upgrade. So I guess I have'nt lost site of ALL my priorities.

The Belles are in storage in pieces and it breaks my heart. But, I will get back to them asap. Once they are complete, I will offer them to the family unless for some reason they just do a better job than the Khorns in the room I will have my gear in. I don't imagine that will be the case though.

Thanks man, when I saw you posted I beelined for it. You sir are one of the most revered woodworkers of Klipsch here and I appreciate your comments as I'm sure Todd BSBUTTON does.

I'll be backing up to step one and asking you and Greg for the full tutorial when I tear into my CW's this winter/spring. I think I prefer the Teak wood with cane or tweed look grille. Trying to brighten up the looks a bit and figure that wood will be available, work easily as most, and give a nice contemporary look that will go with my 50's home. I'll be doing 2 Heresy for practice, then 5 CW cabinets.

Thanks again,

Michael

No way BS, Greg has that distinction, I have only attempted to follow in his footsteps. But thanks for the compliment just the same.

Geez, for the last couple of months all I have been doing is getting the house ready to go on the market. Home sales have slowed to a crawl here due to excessive inventory so I have been very concerned. But, our home sold in less than a week, go figure. I guess all the little things I did paid off. Maybe it sold so fast because I included the Khorns in the deal.....yeah right![;)].

Now comes the fun part. Since our home sold much faster than anticipated, we are having to move TWICE. Once into a rental and then again in February when the new place is finished. The worst part of it all is it has left little to no time for playing with the toys, damn! Oh, but I did finally find the time today to ship off my Blueberry to Mark for the "Xtreme" upgrade. So I guess I have'nt lost site of ALL my priorities.

The Belles are in storage in pieces and it breaks my heart. But, I will get back to them asap. Once they are complete, I will offer them to the family unless for some reason they just do a better job than the Khorns in the room I will have my gear in. I don't imagine that will be the case though.

I just want to know how to "iron on veneer" the "dog house" area of a La Scala? And you are correct, Jorjen. You and Greg the porsche man are the leaders here. These Heresy's are/were a good place to start for me and brother Colter. I too admire the teak look, but those Cherry Cornwalls are a masterpiece!

Michael, to get the glue out or off, you're going to have to carefully remove the finish from that whole side of the speaker. Not an easy thing to do without affecting the other sides.

Once you've got the finish off, you should try different methods, starting with the least drastic. I would suggest Naptha? I think that's what it's called. It won't rais the grain and it will clean the wood and darken it the same as the clear finish so you can tell if you've fixed the problem or not. In fact, no matter what methods you try, if you put a little Naptha on it, you can tell if it's fixed or not.

Mineral spirits might also be good to try. There's a product that I use called "Cleanwoode" that is an excellent strong solvent. You have to be very careful not to drip any of these solvents onto any other finished parts of the speaker or you'll be stripping those sides down too!

If solvents don't work, I think you should try sanding. I would use a small block with 180 grit paper on it and carefully hand sand it. Don't dig the edge of the block in, keep it flat. You should lightly sand the entire side so the finish is the same on the whole side.

My guess is that you'll end up sanding and that will improve it but not completely fix it. You could just leave it as is. I wish I had a magical solution for you. Good luck.

Greg

Don't forget people, Jordan has done all his work in a makeshift shop in his garage. I can only imagine what quality work he'd turn out if he had a dedicated woodworking shop.

Nice to hear from you Jordan.

Greg