Cornwalls rewired (hotwired)

Jim Cornell

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My concern with rewiring is, does it make a diff in choice of wire?

I would not want any wire that would cause a significant coloration to my present sound. I only want to for a lack of better works, enhance the sound I currently have. Should I be concerned with type of wire or is my fear unfounded?

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

SS--

One could call it a fear, and others could call it an uncertainty. In either case, after I did my 20's there was a significant change in coloration (I'm still not real sure what that means). There was a LOT more bass. I didn't realize it at first because I was marveling in the amount of it without touching any controls. After doing some reading here and there I read where too much bass can counter-act midrange. I did notice that the midrange wasn't as prominent as before. A little too much. Went to the trusty EQ and the analyzer and looked to see what fequency had the high attn. in the bass area. For this system it was about 50 to 63Hz. Kicked that slider down a db or so and since last night everything seems to be as it should. It does still have that deep-reaching-down-to-the-durges bass. Only a multitude of cd's in many a veriety will tell but so far things look good.

BTW! How's the quartets:0 .

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany (Cornell Hotwired)

McIntosh C33 Preamp

McIntosh MVP-841 CD/DVD

Rotel RB-1080 Amp

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300mk II

Monster Video 2 (DVD to TV)

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

This message has been edited by tblasing on 10-17-2001 at 09:21 AM

tblasing, your starting to sound like your sorry you did it!

I dont think there is a pair of Klipsch that have coloration!

To my knowledge they are raw sound!

You did get all the + and - hooked up correct right?

What the hotwire did was give the speakers an easier signal, with less resistance!

So, they are stronger on the sound now, then they were before!

I dont use an EQ here, i keep all the settings flat, have you tried that!

Regards Jim

Wes

I used braided copper wire here, got it from radio shack in the automotive area!

I got the flat wire, 50 ft for $20.00!

Its amazing what the hotwire does for the bass, so if people dont want more bass, then dont do it!

Thats all i have to say on that!

It really is unreal, what these speakers will do after better wire is installed!

Beware, A lot more sound is on the way, more than one would expect!

tblasing, i hope you come out happy in the end!

Regards Jim

Sorry to pose as if I regreted the modification, I'm not. Just with the new sound there is the search for even further fine tuning. I know, that's what this hobby is all about. The constant search for the Holy Grail of auditory bliss. Please, don't get me wrong, doing this was definitely a move in the right direction.

At this minute I'm playing Lary Carlton's "Discovery" disc. I'm not looking for "Rock the House" bass. Just bass with a little a** behind it and smooth little thumps when the volume is the lower attenuation. I do admit that I don't spend much or my off hours patroning the audio salons in my area sampling other speakers and equipment. The girlfriend sometimes says I over-analyze things.

In light of this lack of auditions with equipment I guess I realy don't know what "coloration" is, it seams that owning a member of the Klipsch line will never give me a clue. Definitely a good thing.

As far as the EQ goes, the more I tweek this thing the closer it's getting to being flat. Again, it'll just take some time.

Having been around two monster systems of the day (two older brothers) when I was, say, between 8 and 16 years old I have become somewhat complacent and arrogent in thinking "seen that, heard that" with the brute systems made available to me (well, when the brothers weren't home and if they didn't find out I played with their stuff Smile.gif ).

For instance:

BGW 202 preamp

2-Phase Linear 400's bi-amped

JBL L-300 industrials with 15" Altec woofers

Technics SL-1200

Stanton 681

and not even a cassette deck!

I'll get off the psych couch now.

I really do like my father! Really!!

This message has been edited by tblasing on 10-18-2001 at 10:19 AM

Very pleased to hear the outcome, tblasing, isnt it amazing how much youve noticed, the improvement in sound!

Double the efficiency, what a difference!

Just about what the hotwire does!

I think some other Klipsch owners are ganna do the same to thier Klipsch, if they do, i hope they post the outcome!

Regards Jim

tblasing/Jim, Thanks for commenting on your personal listening experiences. So stronger through all frequency ranges would be fine with me. But having any frequency range overpowering another would not. I would want mine to still have their trademark Cornwall sounds, but just be possibly livelier through all freq ranges. I hope my explanation make sense. I'm now thinking I will hold off making any wiring upgrades until I get both pair upgraded with ALK Networks. I feel I should let my ears get use to the upgraded sound from new networks first. Then determine if I'll hotwire the pairs?

tblasing, those Quartets are some wonderful sounding speakers. They produce great sounds from bottom to top. Using them with a KV2.2V for three channel stereo now. Going to disconnect the Quintet surrounds from that setup & just use the Quartets and KV2.2V. I owe you big time for turning me on to those. The guys at Audible Elegance were really super to work with too. Many Thanks!

Later.Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Wes

No problem, with a new amp on the way ALKs, and a rewire, thats 3 modifications at one time, and that would change them drastically!

I wouldnt do all that at one time Wow, come to think of it, i dont have the money to do that anyway LOL!

My cornwalls are set flat, and honesly to me, the overall difference is there absolutely clear, and absolutely no distortion, BUT at about 10 watts they will blow you out of the room! MIDRANGE

Also the bass is stronger like tblasing had mentioned!

Let me know how the new amp works out Wes!

Regards Jim

Just found another decent bass cd for easy listening. It's Windham Hill's "Winter Solstice: Volume I Silver Anniversary Edition"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005NNDN/qid=1003543511/sr=1 -1/ref=sr_1_15_1/103-0172999-2680637

It really brings out the that low volume bass thata now very relaxing knowing that very little is left to the immagination.

SS-- I'm really glad to hear that they're what you expected. It honestly had me a little worriedcwm29.gif

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany (Cornell Hotwired)

McIntosh C33 Preamp

McIntosh MVP-841 CD/DVD

Rotel RB-1080 Amp

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300mk II

Monster Video 2 (DVD to TV)

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

This message has been edited by tblasing on 10-19-2001 at 09:17 PM

I am still debating on whether or not to rewire my Quartets and Academy. The Quartets don't look "too" difficult, but the Academy is another story. I had the Academy out of the ent. center the other day, and while I did I took a woofer out to see the insides. The way the crossover is mounted to the wall of the speaker just makes it that much more difficult to do this.

If I ever get a burst of energy and really have a desire to rewire them....then I will do it. This is something I have been thinking about for about a year now, and I still haven't done it.

------------------

Home Theater Page