Evaluating A Stylus??

cjgeraci

I guess the recommended approach when you purchase a used turntable or acquire a used cartridge is to replace the stylus to make sure that you are not using an overly worn one (to prevent record damage). Or acquire those items from a seller that knows the history/usage of same.

But, if you do not have those options, can you visibly inspect the stylus to determine the condition/wear? If so, would you use a jeweler's loop (or higher) - and what would you look for??

I'm just curious because I've picked up a Shure V15II cartridge (unknown history) that I cannot find a replacement stylus for. I wanted to try it on my Kenwood table, but wanted to make sure it was in decent enough shape to even try on a record (to prevent damage). Any thoughts on inspecting it?

Carl.

Visually it would be next to impossible to check for wear or damage, unless you have a high powered microscope along with the correct lighting, in the end you would still have to know what your're looking for in a way of wear or damage. I think your ears will tell you if theres any problems with your stylus, install it, make your correct adjustments, put on a LP you don't value much and give it a good listen for any abnormalities.

Tom

I have checked styli using a surgical microscope. I just look at the overall shape and for wear facets - amazing detail. It is incredible how finely cut those little diamonds are.

Realizing everyone may not have access to a stereo operating microscope, try using a SLR camera lense (without the camera) as an up close magnifier. Oberserve the stylus under the lense using good lighting.

I keep an old, wide angle camera lense lying around to use as a powerful magnifying tool.

Best regards,

Andy

One of these from Radio Shack for $10 works:

63-1133.jpg
The RadioShack Illuminated Microscope magnifies objects so you can see the finer details. View butterfly wings, the design of a leaf or a thread of hair up close. It's an ideal gift for nature lovers!

PRODUCT FEATURES:

60-100× magnification

Size: 50×18×81mm

Adjustable focus and zoom/td>

Light with on/off switch

Includes carry pouch and bulb replacement tool

Requires 2 AAA batteries
Rick

Work !

That's a four letter word. i'm reporting you to the modulators!!!

I think it was Thebes who posted about that little scope a while ago. The local RS is in a small strip style mall. I can just park in the fire lane, run in, and run out. If it were in one of those big shopping malls, i'd never go. The only thing worse than that is a trip to the dentist. Which reminds me 11AM tomorrow......

Rick

One of these from Radio Shack for $10 works:

63-1133.jpg

The RadioShack Illuminated Microscope magnifies objects so you can see the finer details. View butterfly wings, the design of a leaf or a thread of hair up close.

Rick

I was afraid I would hit the stylus or cantilever with it because you almost have to put the stylus into the small opening of the clear plastic nose to focus it. It seems to be designed to be be set right the on the object, and I can't hold it that steady that close to a stylus.

It takes a long focal length to do strong magnification from a distance. I know a manufacturer who bought a $400 magnifying telescope to be able to inspect styli and cartridge cantilevers without getting right on top of them. A microscope is probably best as suggested above, but you have to know how to tell a flat spot from the intended stylus shape. So, I, too, judge by age of the cart and whether it's starting to deteriorate.