Just when you thought they were all gone....a gem of an audio store

Tom Adams

Ive been meaning to write about this experience for some time now, but better late than never.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

After I sold my Sherbourn 7/2100A earlier this year I began a search for a HT amp(s). I pretty much had heard the offerings (Mac, Bryston, B&K) at my local Klipsch dealer, but I wanted to check out NADs offering. That search led me to Read Brothers Stereo in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Charleston, SC (only a 2 hour drive away).

I called Read Brothers and spoke to David about my needs and what I was looking for. During our conversation he mentioned that at one time Read Brothers carried Klipsch and that one of the guys there had a pair of KHorns. I felt this was a plus since they knew and understood that horn sound. After a very nice conversation, David said he would put together some ideas for amps based on what we talked about and send it to me. To be honest, I wasnt prepared for what he sent. In essence, it was a 3 page MS Word document that listed 4 different power amps, his commentary about each one, their pros & cons, the price, pictures, and links to the manufacturers website!

I made arrangements with David to audition some of what he suggested and stated I would be bringing a pair of Heresys. In the mean time, I contacted Sunburnwilly since I knew he lived in Charleston. We conversed and said he might be able to meet up with us when we came up for the audition. In one of Willys emails he eluded to Read Brothers being a trip. Man, was THAT ever an understatement. Willy asked if I knew that the store was a cloth outlet on one side and stereo on the other? Uh no. Again, Willys description of the place didnt do the experience justice.

We get to Charleston and in finding the place I say to Laura that there is just no way a high end audio store could be in this area i.e. darn near the slums. The building that Read Brothers is in is the place theyve been in for over 100 years! And it looks every bit of its age. Walking through a heavy set of doors on old timey swinging hinges youre greeted with an old musty smell and one gets the feeling theyve just stepped back in time to the 40s. The place is rather large and there are bolts of fabric all over the place and stacked 5 high in some places. Laura looks at me and asks if this is really the right place.

A lady asks us if we need some help and I say were looking for the stereo shop. She directs us to a dimly lit connector hallway that takes us to another portion of the building that, while a bit newer, is still OH-EL-DEE old. Its there that we meet Willy and David. We haul in my Heresys and for the next 3 hours Laura, Willy, and myself listen to several different types of music played through 3 different amps all with Davids undivided attention. Im serious folks, I dont know if Ive ever experienced that level or personal service. David never made us feel like we had to buy anything nor did he ever give us the impression that we were imposing. Quite the contrary, we felt like David was a friend. Oh, and we saw Tom Read. He looked to be in character with the building and business i.e. a bit eccentric.

And Willy..talk about a small world. Both Laura & I felt from the start that he looked very familiar. In conversation, Willy tells us hes a waiter at Magnolias (very, very nice upper end restaurant in Charleston). BINGO! The last time Laura & I were in Charleston we ate at Magnolias and he waited on us! We had a good laugh about that. Willy hung out with us until we left and we both felt he was a really cool guy. It was nice jawing with him about audio & music and I appreciated his input about the amps we auditioned. And he also made a good suggestion for Sushi.

I wont bore you with any more commentary, but will say that Read Brothers is one of those places that has to be experienced. From the outside one would never know the level of quality audio gear and personnel that exists inside. Outsidejust an old, old run down building. Inside..Jolida tube gear, Lexicon, Martin-Logan, Parasound. So many audio stores today are so sales driven that they fail to understand that they could make just as much money if they'd just slow down a bit. Use to be a time when the goal of a business was to establish a relationship with a customer to ensure they came back over & over. Oh well, guess I'm old fashion.

Oh and we bought 2 amps. A Parasound Halo A52 and A23. Should be here next week.

Tom

Nice little write-up on the store. It sure is good to hear that

there are actually a few (well, at least one) places that are still

interested in developing a relationship with, and serving, the

customer. Sounds like a great experience. I just might have

to stop in there sometime, as I'm not too far away.

Oh....and at one point, this very pleasant lady (who, with all due respect, honestly looked like she was still stuck in the Hippies 60's) stopped as she was walking by and said something to the effect, "Wow.....Klipsch Heresy's....uh, no....uh, are these Heresy's?" I said yes they are. She then pointed out that the cabinets had rounded over edges (which I did during my refinishing project) which threw her off. She then complimented my work, said nice sound, and walked off.

David (my salesman) informed us that that was Tom Read's wife and that she personally listens to any new piece of audio gear that comes in the store. David said she has one of the most critical ears he's ever known.

I'm serious, if any of you guys are ever in Charleston, you need to stop by Read Brothers. As sunburnwilly says, "It's a trip man."

www.readbrothers.com

Tom

Tom,

Nice write up.

When I first read it I had to find this place so I googled the store.

How did you end up with Parasound? It's not one of the products they list.

Did they really listen to your wants and could recommend something they were not a dealer for, but knew you would be happy with.

I will call them in the future and thanks for the heads up.

Danny

Ha , Ha , Tom , What threw Marion off was the binding posts in the back of your Heresys . She walked by and says , Heresys . Then looked around the back and says , no Heresy II's . " Tom's beautiful , black , Heresys have the modern binding posts " . Hey Tom , you got a picture that you can post of those speakers ? Folks , they are the nicest Heresys I have ever seen ! I had a great time with Tom and his wife Laura . Allthough Tom , I believe we spent 4 hours there , not 3 . [:D]

Tom,

Nice write up.

When I first read it I had to find this place so I googled the store.

How did you end up with Parasound? It's not one of the products they list.

Did they really listen to your wants and could recommend something they were not a dealer for, but knew you would be happy with.

I will call them in the future and thanks for the heads up.

Danny

By golly you're right Danny, they don't list Parasound! But they sure have it and I'm sure they're a bonafide dealer.

As for my choice....when I spoke to David, I told him that I wasn't looking for BIG power. I wanted an amp that had a very clean & musical first watt since I planned to use my HT for two channel. I told him what speakers I was using (Cornwall mains, Heresy's for surrounds) and that's when he mentioned having heard Klipsch Heritage many times and one of the guys there owning KHorns. He seemed very intuned with high sensitivity speakers and what type of amplification yeilded good results. His perspective was to sacrifice a few watts for higher quality. He recommended the Parasound New Classic, Parasound Halo, and Audio Refinement (spin-off company of YBA). We listened to the Halo first and were quite impressed (as a side note, it was interesting that many of the CD's we brought along for the audition were the same ones they use. And we even turned Willy on to Alyson Krauss and Union Station!). Next, we listened to the Audio Refinement and while it was a different sound, it was very nice and produced a very "warm" and smooth sound. I hate using the term refined, but that's all I can come up with. Now, I know some here that think Heresy's can be a bit edgey and that's all right. What I was looking for was a subjective evaluation of how each amp sounded with the same speaker and one I know the sound of very well. Anyhow........

The last amp we listened to that I figured would be just as good as the Halo was the New Classic. David hooked it up, we dropped in Alyson Krauss, and in 20 seconds the wife was saying, "Oh hell no. Unhook that thing." Now, I'm not saying that the New Classic isn't a good piece of gear, but when compared to the other two offerings it wasn't close. In the end it was a real struggle which one to go with. And to make matters worst, I was leaning towards the Audio Refinement and the wife liked the Halo! In the end we felt that the Halo was just a bit more accurate and neutral (and it was close to $900 less than the AR) so that's what we chose. I also like the fact that we have separate 2-channel and 5-channel amps. The 2-channel will drive the Corns and the 5-channel doing the surrounds.

As for other stuff they carry that's not listed......ho boy, help me out here Willy. Jolida, Martin-Logan, Parasound, Audio Refinement, Lexicon.....that's all I can remember. I didn't even spend much time over in the area where a lot of that gear was. Interestingly, while talking about various gear, David made the comment that he had a hard time demo'ing some gear 'cause Tom Read had it loaned out to customers. When the last time you were in an audio store that said, "Here take this home. Bring it back when you're through."?

Hope this helps.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks.

I am going to have to get in touch with them.

You are going to love Parasound. I have only read good things about the amps you bought.

I have a Parasound HCA1500 hooked up to my Heresy's in my bedroom system. This was my main system for awhile. I love Parasound.Built like a tank. I leave the system on 24/7 for the last 4 years (turn off when I leave town for more than a day or bad storms are coming into town). I have never had a problem with it.

If I ever get back into HT it will be all Parasound, with Cornwalls for front and Heresy for everything else.

Report back when you get your system.

Danny

That's a great story Tom and it's nice to know that business folks like

that are still out there, although it sounds like ti more their own

honest personality than some sort of marketing approach. Great

read.

Tom , as far as the equipment they carry you covered all the important stuff . Yes they were an authorized Klipsch dealer for 28 years . In fact my sister and brother inlaw have the very last Klipsch speakers that they sold ; " not counting the Heritage line that they still will order for people , but don't display in their shop " , my old KG 1.2's . Both Marion and Tom still have a fondness for the old Klipsch line . Marion absolutely lit up when I told her I purchased a pair of Belles a few months ago . They are an authorized Parasound dealer , in '96 I purchased a P/SP 1000 pre/proc. from them ; it's now sitting in it's original double box in my closet . " I'm somewhat of an audio hoarder " . Thanks for turning me on to Alison Krauss !!! 2 days after I met you and Laura I found the double live CD at the local library . " Please don't tell anybody , but I burnt it before taking it back " [:#] A few weeks ago I picked up the DVD , You Have To Get It ! It's Fantastic ! Willy P. PS , Alison Krauss and Union Station will be playing here Dec. 4th , I am going ! PM me if you and Laura want to go ...

Willy.....might be in touch with you about that AKUS concert.

Some folks have asked about posting pics of my Heresy's I refinished, so here's some. BTW, I am absolutely humbled by the kind words Willy and Marion Read have said to me about what I did. Personally, I think they came out looking very nice, but being the critical anal person that I am, my eye tends to go to the flaws.

Anyhow, wasn't sure if I should post these here or in another forum. So, I'll probably waste bandwidth and increase my post count by posting over on the Architectural forum. [:)]

Oh - and I'm sure it will be painfully obvious that I am not a good photographer. Hopefully though, these will give you an idea.

Tom

post-4338-13819274119424_thumb.jpg