Older pioneer receiver, best pioneer of its day?

33klfan

Whell is correct! I bought a Kenwood KR-9600 that was advertised in the pennysaver. I already owned one that I bought new in the mid-70s. It's one of those great monster SS receivers from the good old days. One of the channels didn't work at all so I got it for $50. I cleaned the inside, dexoited all the knobs and switches, fired it back up and it was as good as new.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stumbled upon an old SX-750 in a local swap sheet for $25. Called right away and went to get it. It was dirty and dusty, but everything worked but for one indicator lamp. All I did was took off the cover and cleaned it with an air nozzle at the shop. I have it hooked to an old pair of SB-2's and have an old Samsung DVD player hooked in too so I can listen to CD's too if desired while working in the shop. I still have the SX-6 receiver, PL-7 turntable, and CT-5 cassette deck too. Also an EQ but I would have to check on the model. The old Pioneer stuff was pretty decent, and still is 25 years later. The turntable is still in use with my main system upstairs. The SX-6 may get used for our daughter's room for a small 2-channel system with a pair of SB-1's if I do not sell them.

Here's a trick I learned on Audiokarma: Turn the volume pot left to right about 40 times, quickly (less than 2 seconds for 0 to max to 0). Static was gone on mine after that. Also, a few shots of deoxit, which you can buy at Radioshack, might fix it.

I have an SX-3700 myself and while I've never coupled it with any Klipsch, it's a very well-built receiver, supposedly one of the last good Pioneers made. Once I get some Klipsch (Christmas is coming up, oh yeah), maybe I'll have someone recap it for me, I've heard that improves the sound.

The Pioneer SX line is famous for volume pot problems. Cleaning it, and definitely turning the knob quickly numerous times gets it to work again. If it has wood, and is built in the 70's it should be an sx series. More than likely the larger wattage ones. I just dropped off my SX1250 (160wpc) for a volume pot fix, and possible line stage cap replacement Yeah, I thought the HK series was good. This blows them away at higher volumes.

IS THIS A FAD...NO. Would it make a great rock-n-roll system...yes. I have many SS amps and the Pioneer SX1250, old, dusty, bad volume knob and all hangs in there with the best. When I get it back I will give it a real test. For the SX1250 and up they start at over $300.00 depending on condition. I know, it took 2 months to get a $325.00 one that needs work. $500.00 for one in good order. Make quick to relatives and pick receiver before it is too late.

My first receiver was a Pioneer SX-3700 or 3800 it was 60W per channel with the blue flourescent power meters, I had a pair of AR 18a's that I used with it.

I liked it very much, and never had any trouble with it. My buddy had the integrated version of it with the same power rating. The blue meters were the rage in 1980.

Sumo Electra pre-amp and Polaris power amp

I dont think I have ever seen anyone else mention Sumo in here before. I had a sampling of Sumo gear from the mid 80s. Actually, only have one piece left, which is the Sumo Aurora tuner, which was supposedly an upgrade of their famous "Charlie" tuner. The beast is sitting behind me - sounds very nice in "Wide" mode but a '59 EICO HFT-90 Mono FM tuner is more musical and gets used in the main system (no range or selectivity to speak of so outer limits country & city dwellers need not apply).

At one time, I had the Sumo Polaris and the Sumo NINE PLUS in house. The NINE PLUS was the more natural sounding amp of the two and had the right stuff for specs if that happens to float your boat. It was supposedly a Class A, Direct Coupled from input to output beast that doubled its output of 65w when moving from 8 to 4ohms. It was a very sweet amp when used within its limits. More musical than the beefy Adcom 555 or 535 of the day with a better top end. The SUMO Athena preamp was also a nice sample with passive switching capability, bypassing the active line stage. The MM phono was ok, too. With the active stage switched out, it was a decent SS preamp. I sold all of this stuff except the tuner. In my view, the cheaper 140Wpc B&K ST-202 Mosfet amp was a better deal and surely better for rock. Two better, though more expensive, amps at that time were the Class A Forte 4a (a Threshold design) and the Classe DR-9 - both made major steps up and are good in the use market.

The vintage SS receiver stuff is fun and seems to have something going for it but in my view, it's not in the same league as any of the above. While others disagree, I think that some of vintage tube integrateds from the era back do a better job at reproducing instruments' natural tone, timbre, and color. Specs and blindfolds notwithstanding, a sax sounds more like a sax, a Stratocaster more like a Stratocaster.

kh

And for critical listening, no amount of power is too much. You need all you can buy.

Indeed, I agree. Listen to Parrot's quote here. There is nothing like some serious watts into a pair of Khorns to make the cannon blast in the Telarc edition of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture come to life in your own room. Drop a pair of the Klipsch Forum A List Dynaco Stereo 400s with the MBI-400 Bridge Kits to produce 600 glorious "straight wire with gain" watts! Why pray to the Lord when you can hear him speak in your own home?

My first receiver was a Pioneer SX-3700

or 3800 it was 60W per channel with the blue flourescent power meters,

I had a pair of AR 18a's that I used with it.

I liked it

very much, and never had any trouble with it. My buddy had the

integrated version of it with the same power rating. The blue

meters were the rage in 1980.

3800 .... i have a mint one still .....