Classic Yes or 90125

colterphoto1

On the same lines, did you prefer the classic Yes sound with Wakeman, Howe, and Alan White on Drums, or one of the later incantations with Bill Bruford, Trevor on guitars and/or other miscellaneous players? Remember the bands only #1 hit came with the 90125 lineup.

Michael

On the same lines, did you prefer the classic Yes sound with Wakeman, Howe, and Alan White on Drums, or one of the later incantations with Bill Bruford, Trevor on guitars and/or other miscellaneous players? Remember the bands only #1 hit came with the 90125 lineup.

Michael

The band that did Yessongs. Bruford seemd to be a better studio drummer, Alan White's smacking was perfect live.

90125 was such a good album, though--

I bet alot of people like both--

I agree.. I like most of the the incarnations too. Owner of a lonely heart had a remix in 2005?? Was amazing!!

The thing is... most of the songs are still listenable many years later...

Every non guitar player has picked out Roundabout with the harmonics...

And no one really duplicatable to the voice of Jon Anderson.

Sad and yet incredibly exciting that MTV helped spawn the number one hit, much like Jefferson Starship also did in the same vain.. For me it was that a new generation could explore the groups all over again. Kinda like Pink Floyd at the concert this summer.. maybe a 3rd or in some cases a 4th generation to experience Pink Floyd... THAT was cool. Now, if only they would tour?

I had Keys To Ascension 1 with a different, but great version of Starship Trooper, among others, and a song off Tales from Topographic Oceans--

Do you know where I can find this bootleg of the Topographic shows? I've looked everywhere and haven't been able to find it--

Here's a review:

Review

by Bruce Eder

Yes's Tales From Topographic Oceans was the one major 1970's-era work by the group that failed to get captured on any official concert release. That fact is doubly astonishing when one considers that they did an entire tour, during the winter of 1974, on which their repertory was drawn from that release, and that the same tour marked the end of Rick Wakeman's original tenure with the band and that the group had already proven with Yessongs, in the summer of 1973, that fans by the millions would buy their live recordings. The bootleg double-CD Topographic fills in the missing hole in their repertory, between Yessongs and Yesshows, presenting live performances of the entire Tales From Topographic Oceans, recorded in Detroit on Feb. 28,1974, coupled with a live BBC performance of "The Revealing Science Of God" from November 1, 1973. If the Detroit sides are typical of Yes's work on this tour, then it's a crying shame that no live album ever was issued they do an astonishingly good job of expanding on the compositions, presenting them in versions that manage to be faithful to the final studio edits while adding energy and flash that transcends anything that they were capable of in the studio; additionally, as they are limited here to what they could actually play live, without any overdubs, there's a leanness to the sound that gives these performances a bracing quality greater than that found on the studio versions of the same songs. There are also flaws, to be sure Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, and Chris Squire miss more than a fair number of notes in their singing, and the highs are barely there on "The Remembering", though the playing is spot-on; and Rick Wakeman, for all of his reported unhappiness with this repertory, does a superb job of expanding the scope and intensity of his playing from the studio originals, adding major flourishes that were only hinted at on the record. The tape, aside from some signs of a "wow" at certain spots, is of above average quality, and on a par with the best bootlegs of the era. Given the inevitable flaws in the singing on pieces as complex as these, one can understand why Atlantic Records (and perhaps even the group) might not have wanted an official release made from this tour, but at this late date the group should seriously consider a limited edition, subscription-type release along the lines that King Crimson and Emerson, Lake & Palmerhave been doing with their vintage live tapes. In the meantime, this bootleg will suffice.

I'd kill to get a copy--you?

Yes, let's find that one.

On a sadder note, the film to DVD Yessongs is one to miss. Horrible lighting and very grainy filming, coupled with a horribly crippling edit to a short 76 minutes misses the mark of this great concert film. Fish is edited out and the on screen video for that track was mind bending, if you recall seeing the film as a midnight movie in the mid 70's.

Michael

Michael

Guess I'm stuck in the 70's[;)]

I'm not a fan of the Trevor Rabin era Yes. My fav by them is "Close To The Edge" That one and Genesis' "The Lamb" are THE prog standard. I agree if Chris Squire is there it can't be to bad. I just love the sound of the classic line-up.

I know its been played to death but "Roundabout" still stops me in my tracks. Wakeman...what can you say? THE MAN!!!!!

Yes, let's find that one.

On a sadder note, the film to DVD Yessongs is one to miss. Horrible lighting and very grainy filming, coupled with a horribly crippling edit to a short 76 minutes misses the mark of this great concert film. Fish is edited out and the on screen video for that track was mind bending, if you recall seeing the film as a midnight movie in the mid 70's.

Michael

Ouch -- yes, I know. I bought that a couple years ago off eBay--

The performance is pretty darn good, but the quality of sound and the claustrophobic camera work detracts from it dramatically---

I still have it--you want it?

Michael

I'm not a fan of the Trevor Rabin era Yes. My fav by them is "Close To The Edge" That one and Genesis' "The Lamb" are THE prog standard. I agree if Chris Squire is there it can't be to bad. I just love the sound of the classic line-up.

I know its been played to death but "Roundabout" still stops me in my tracks. Wakeman...what can you say? THE MAN!!!!!

TRon--you have any Wakeman solo stuff? Wives of Henry the 8th is very very good--amazing how he paints the personalities of the wives into the songs--

I'm sure you have some--what else is worth getting?

Michael

TRon--you have any Wakeman solo stuff? Wives of Henry the 8th is very very good--amazing how he paints the personalities of the wives into the songs--

I'm sure you have some--what else is worth getting?

Journey to the center of the earth.. lots of orchestration

No Earthly Connection... NO orchestration

Night Airs...if you're in a mellow mood

find some samples and check them out[:D]

I don't know.

I guess I tended to lean more towards the newer Yes stuff (Union, was one my favorite albums - 90125 got

overplayed, but I certainly still like to listen to it, as I have a

copy around here somewhere), but have listened to plenty of the older

stuff (well, I actually have that four-disk box set that I bought back

in my college days). In fact, Yes was one of the first bands I

tried on my Klipsch setup after I got it all up (and before I bought

most of the stuff that I currently have, such as those Aryeon

CDs). However, I do have a copy of Open Your Eyes, of

which I was not particularly impressed with. I think I listened

to it once, but pretty much forgot about it. I guess I'll have to

dig it out and give it another listen to see if my opinion changes.

I am a fan of almost all things Yes, but I'm partial to the older stuff. Relayer, Tales From Topographic Oceans, Fragile, CTTE....it's all great stuff.....not much Yes I DON'T like.

As for 90125, it's a good release, but that lineup's "sound" grows old on me after a while. It's hard not to recall the band "Asia" when listening to later Yes......OK for a rare spin or two, but if I had 'em on vinyl, I would have no worry of wearing them out.

Bruford + Wakeman = YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! I remember seeing the Anderson/Bruford/Wakeman/Howe lineup in the late 80's, and that was REEEEEEALLLY good.

I had Keys To Ascension 1 with a different, but great version of Starship Trooper, among others, and a song off Tales from Topographic Oceans--

Do you know where I can find this bootleg of the Topographic shows? I've looked everywhere and haven't been able to find it--

Here's a review:

Review

by Bruce Eder

Yes's Tales From Topographic Oceans was the one major 1970's-era work by the group that failed to get captured on any official concert release. That fact is doubly astonishing when one considers that they did an entire tour, during the winter of 1974, on which their repertory was drawn from that release, and that the same tour marked the end of Rick Wakeman's original tenure with the band and that the group had already proven with Yessongs, in the summer of 1973, that fans by the millions would buy their live recordings. The bootleg double-CD Topographic fills in the missing hole in their repertory, between Yessongs and Yesshows, presenting live performances of the entire Tales From Topographic Oceans, recorded in Detroit on Feb. 28,1974, coupled with a live BBC performance of "The Revealing Science Of God" from November 1, 1973. If the Detroit sides are typical of Yes's work on this tour, then it's a crying shame that no live album ever was issued they do an astonishingly good job of expanding on the compositions, presenting them in versions that manage to be faithful to the final studio edits while adding energy and flash that transcends anything that they were capable of in the studio; additionally, as they are limited here to what they could actually play live, without any overdubs, there's a leanness to the sound that gives these performances a bracing quality greater than that found on the studio versions of the same songs. There are also flaws, to be sure Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, and Chris Squire miss more than a fair number of notes in their singing, and the highs are barely there on "The Remembering", though the playing is spot-on; and Rick Wakeman, for all of his reported unhappiness with this repertory, does a superb job of expanding the scope and intensity of his playing from the studio originals, adding major flourishes that were only hinted at on the record. The tape, aside from some signs of a "wow" at certain spots, is of above average quality, and on a par with the best bootlegs of the era. Given the inevitable flaws in the singing on pieces as complex as these, one can understand why Atlantic Records (and perhaps even the group) might not have wanted an official release made from this tour, but at this late date the group should seriously consider a limited edition, subscription-type release along the lines that King Crimson and Emerson, Lake & Palmerhave been doing with their vintage live tapes. In the meantime, this bootleg will suffice.

I'd kill to get a copy--you?

I spent 3 hours on the net looking last night, best I came up with was the cover art and track listing for it.

Wow--three hours?

I've probably spent that much time looking over the past few years--with no luck. the review was off AMG--allmusic.com

Maybe it will be released by their label sometime--there's definitley an audience for it--

FOUND IT!!! Well close anyway. He has it under another title. "Topographic ocean view" Says the sound quality is decent, we'll see. I'll let you know when it comes in.

Oh oh!

Pardon me, but I am sure to p!ss everyone off here![:P]

While I would never challenge the musical and technical prowess of the musicians involved, between the lyrics and the arrogance of the actual group (re: the 1972 tour with the Eagles opening - talk about heads up the @ss from reading their own press!!) combined with their employment of one of the ex-Chipmunks for lead vocals (after their split with Alvin - ironically with another ex-Chipmunk clandestinely laying done the vox tracks for a lip syncing Geddy Lee [:P] ), I just never could stand Anderson - and neither could the band judging from their history!

A talented band playing music far too pompous for its 'meaning'. Pretense for the sake of pretense...

And Wakeman's solo concerts with the orchestra and chorus in his wizard garb.....Oh brother!

OK, pile on![:P][:P][:D]

Thats' okay Dragon, I like pomp and arrogance, that's what rock and roll is all about, the posturing, the clothes, the astral travelling. Yes just took it all to the Nth degree. Fine by me. I enjoy drama and theatre and glowing fibreglass rocks and gold lame capes and too many guitars and piled up keyboards. It's the stuff that rock dreams are made of.

Yes was my first concert. I've seen every tour ever sense. They may be pompous, but they have absolute mastery of their instruments and I enjoy their writing style.

So you're right, but I STILL like it.

Michael