Sarah McLachlan Afterglow DVD

Zen Traveler

For those of you that like female vocalists and want a REAL treat, pick up Sarah McLachlan's "Afterglow Live" DVD. If you like Sarah and already own the disk I would like to hear your opinion. I picked this up about 6 months ago after I saw her on the "Lilith Fair" DVD, and fell in love with her voice and personality (not to mention she's easy on the eyes).

My favorite song on both DVD's is "Building a Mystery." This song always brings a tear to my eye for awesome, inspired song writing, that is delivered with finesse. I like the way she sings it on "Lilith Fair" because it was new to her at the time and you could tell she enjoyed singing it. On the "Afterglow," DVD rendition of the song, she is more mature and the disk is better recorded--sheer sublime [A]. There's not alot coming out of the side surrounds on this disk (DD 5.1) but my three front speakers really do her voice and her band justice. Don't let anyone tell you that Klipsch speakers don't reproduce female vocals well![6]

There are also some songs on "Afterglow" which I didn't realize were hers that I enjoyed hearing on the radio (Angel and I will Remember You). Out of 22 songs, at least 16 of them show off Sarah's talent (even a rendition of the Beatles song "Blackbird') and I can play them over and over again. Included in with the DVD is a bonus CD, but I can't tell you much about it because I don't play CD's anymore.[H]

Ah... Sarah MacLachlan!

Yes, she is a rare treat!

If you haven't yet discovered her, you should! (And she is definitely cuter with long hair then in her dykey short hair phase!)

And may I suggest, get the Afterglow studio CD! Even with the' Live version', you will be blown away by the production! They do not 'replace' one another! She is akin to Seal in this respect. And it is rare to find someone who is not a studio creation these days. Especially when one brings added dimensions to each environment sufficient to necessitate having 'both' studio and live versions. I will add, that her EP releases, like Peter Gabriel's, offer different versions and compliment those which are available on the 'albums'...So...

And while many will be attracted to the greatest hits like Mirror Ball, may I suggest first getting Surfacing (CD) and the VH1 Storytellers: Sarah MacLachlan and the Video Collection 1989-1998 DVDs.

Aside from a band that is amazing - her music is reminiscent of Peter Gabriel in the layering of textures -(as well as evocative psychological portraits) - and there is allot of very LF energy that I suspect most would not expect. Again reminiscent of Peter Gabriel. I apologize if I have missed others' reference, but it seems to me that only Michael Hurd and your self have mentioned her works in the forum (but as Mike's Canadian as well as Sarah, I think they are obliged to buy them! [:P]) . And as Michael has made deft reference, her work offers plenty of demo material for a system. While it may perhaps seem to be an unlikely source, her work (like Chris Isaak's) provides ample material to give a system a good workout.

Her studio 'albums' are impeccably produced. A rare treat in a day of music commoditization.

But one question! If you can play DVDs, why can't you play CDs????

Oh, and if you are into Concert DVDs, check out the Seal Live In Paris & Roxy Music's Live at the Apollo DVDs!

Ah... Sarah MacLachlan!

Yes, she is a rare treat!

But one question! If you can play DVDs, why can't you play CDs????

I didn't say I can't play CD's. I don't play CD's because I like video with my aural stimulation. When I first set up my HomeTheater I played a few CD's from my ancient collection but became a DVD concert junkie after my first multichannel experience. The first DVD I played was "Rattle and Hum" and from that point on I have kept buying DVD's and don't even go into the CD section anymore. Given that Sarah hasn't left my entertainment rotation and on your recommendation I may have to venture over there again. I'm jonesin' for something new. [:)]

I have several Peter Gabriel SACD's and all his DVD's, which at one time or another have stayed on the rotation as well. I equate the experience I have appreciating Sarah with how I feel listening to Bono's voice bellow through my system. Both highly inspired. [A] As much as I like U2, there was a little to much crowd reaction on ther concert DVD's for my prolonged listening pleasure as of lately. Now that I think about it, Peter Gabriel replaced U2 when "Secret World" came out and Pete may be my most played male artist in the last several years.

Insofar as female vocalist that aren't in the mainstream is concerned, I also like Jewel. Her DVD "Live at Humphrey's by the Bay," has some inspired songs, and her playfulness makes her seem like the girl next door (with a really good voice). Thanks for the CD recommendations. I will post back if you converted me back to the 2 channel realm--However I think I may be to civil to post in their forum. [6]

I'm going to have to agree, Sarah McLachlan in my opinion is the best

female artist out right now, and is one of my favorite artists of all

time. She has a lot of emotion in her vocals and on top of that a great

piano player. Fallen, is definately in my top 5 for my favorite songs.

And yes, these Klipsch speakers definately do her voice/music justice.

:)

Hey cmay119 were are almost neighbors. Would have loved to see Sarah in MInneapolis for her afterglow tour. I'd have been there but I had company that weekend.

I guess I'll have to settle for Bon Jovi this Friday night. [:$] I hope they play some old stuff. That new song on the radio really sucks. "have a nice day"

I agree, just watching and listening to her Mirrorball DVD is

intoxicating. I just picked up the Afterglow DVD and will watch it

tonight. The sound in Mirrorball leaves a little to be desired, but she

more than makes up for it with the renditions of her songs and the

close-ups showing her expressions and graceful hand movements as she is

singing - as my dear uncle Joe used to say, translated from spanish

(may he rest in peace... ): "Catch me Lord, because I'm slipping... "

• 2 weeks later...

I posted earlier that I am pretty much a multichannel guy, but on Dragonfyrs recommendation I picked up 3 of her CD's. I agree that "Surfacing," and "Afterglow" are excellent, but I definitely think the songs on the "fumbling towards ecstasy," come across better live on the "Afterglow" DVD. I still prefer watching her sing ALL of her songs than just listening to her and "Afterglow live" seems to never get old. [;)]

I also purchased her VH1, "Storytellers" DVD for $6.99 at Bestbuy--well worth the cost, but not as good as the "Afterglow" DVD. A while back I picked up "A life in Music," on DVD but it was more of a biography that was interesting, but something I wouldn't buy for the music. Thanks for the recommendations [:)]