frequency response curves

alchemist

Those curves are all sanitized, they don't mean anything.

Sound and Vision had weighted curves for the RF-7 -- you'd have to order the back issue.

Here are some plots for the old RB-5 -- a speaker they shouldn't have quit making.

http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/loudspeakers/klipsch-rb5.html

Thanks for posting that link.[:)] I purchased a pair of RB-5's when ultimate electronics went out of business. I was planning on using them as rear surrounds (7.1) in my bedroom but it was too much (for my wife). I have them in a 2-channel set up and they sound great. If I found them before the RB-75's that I'm using as rears in my main HT, Klipsch would have lost that sale. (BTW: RB-75's are good speakers but not markedly better than the RB-5's IMHO)

Dragonfyr,

I appreciate your plan and I look forward to the fruits of your labor.

Let me point out a few things which are meant to be helpful, although I suspect you have already thought about them anyway.

For the case of simple frequency domain descriptions. Sure you can put in a boad band signal and get a transfer function of the unit. But there is so much contamination. If it is in an anechoic chamber, you get rid of room effects. But if it is a K-Horn you want some of the room effects, i.e., you want the corners.

If it is a time domain description (and will I lump a number of techniques in here) then folks will have difficulty in interpretting the results ( I am not being snide, I am being realistic - in fact even a frequency domain based transfer function can be confusing to people. I have actually heard misguided people mention the "degradation" they heard with a phase shift at 17kHz...... another story).

Measuring a speaker is interesting; however, the speaker is part of a system. The system includes the amp driving it, but more importantly, it includes the room that the cabinet is in. All speaker charactersistics are convolved with these two other components of the system. How does one communicate that and how does one give an idea about which effects are actually perceptible.

I guess my concern is how to communicate the results to others (although perhaps this is not your prime consideration). Basically, how does an individual recognize which attributes/anomalies (transfer function, coherence etc) are important). Again, I will refer to my anecdote about the individual troubled by the phase shift at 17kHz.

I am intrigued by your endeavor. If it is any help, although I no longer have access to an anechoic chamber, I might in the next year or so (with a 2 channel recording set up: analyzer with Bruel & Kajer mics etc). I do have K-Horns, Corwall 2, and a Hersey. If I do some digging I also have some software for both transfer measures (frequency domain) and Golay code -based measures.

I am interested in what you are up to.

Good Luck,

-Tom