Setup DVD For Video?

tidmack

Hi Everyone,

I'm familiar with audio setup discs and was wondering if the same exists for video? I'm pleased with the settings on my TV, but it'd be fantastic to tweak them if I'm maybe off a hair with color, contrast, etc. Anyone heard of such a thing? I tried doing a search, but no luck. If it's been discussed, please lead me to the right spot! Thanks!

Jeff

Hi, Avia and Digital Video Essentials are the two that I know of, but I've no experience with either. I've read they sometimes dive into the service menus, where mear mortals should fear. [:|]

If it looks good.....it is good.

Anyways, there's a start. Good luck.

Ok, so far it looks like the Dig. Video

Essentials DVD covers more ground than the Avia

DVD. But descriptions online of course say each is the

best one. If anyone out there has experience with either/both,

please chime in.

Jeff

I have both disks. AVIA is more user friendly compared to DVE, easier

to navigate through the tests. However, DVE can test for BTB (Blacker

than Black) which AVIA lacks. I think both were designed initially for

the older type of TV (not DLP, LCD or PLASMA) however, some of the

major test you would be able to use if you have one of those types of

TVs I mentioned as well.

If you have a THX DVD (i.e. star wars), it has a THX optimizer that you

can use initially to tweak your video settings until you get either one

of the disks. If I'll make a choice all over again, I'll get DVE

because of the BTB tester (I got AVIA before DVE).

Here's some more info for you.

Here's another thing to consider - sometimes (OK, rarely) the settings from the factory are very close to the ideal. I got the InFocus 61md10 and set it to the Professional preset display setting and I was unable to improve on it using AVIA.

I read two reviews of the RCA Scenium, which is the identical HDTV, and they pointed out that the Professional preset was very close except for the grey-scale (which should be set to 6,500 lumens). Only a professional calibrator has the equipment to let you tweak your lumens setting. AVIA and DVE will not let you do it.

I suppose the $37 I spent on AVIA was largely wasted. I will probably sell it on half.com.

Here's another thing fellas: My TV isn't anything special. It's a Sony tube 34HS420. I don't sit far from my screen (8') and the depth of the TV wasn't a huge deal, so I stuck with tube. Will I still benefit from using these DVD's, or is it mostly for LCD, DLP, and plasma stuff?

Here's another thing fellas: My TV isn't

anything special. It's a Sony tube 34HS420. I don't sit far

from my screen (8') and the depth of the TV wasn't a huge

deal, so I stuck with tube. Will I still benefit from using these

DVD's, or is it mostly for LCD, DLP, and plasma stuff?

Yes. They were both designed primarily for tubes. AVIA was released 1999 and DVE on 2001 but was updated 2003. HTH

I have only ever used the THX optimizer to set up our 25" tv. Does it make a difference? You bet, but probably not much far off of using a test disc. I could be just blowing some smoke here, never have experienced an ISF calibrated display. Service menu adjustments can literally ruin your television, and shoud be left to professionals, like those from the Imaging Science Foundation.

Make sure the television has been on for at least a half hour first, so that everything has come up to temperature, and has stabilized. Next, set the television contrast, sharpness, tint, etc, according to the directions. Most importantly, adjust the television with the same lighting conditions that you will use while watching the set.

JM,

Is it a software (Essentials DVD)

issue that throws your green off, or did you mean that green was the

only one that needed adjustment?

They give you a filter to look thru where you can adjust each color

setting until all the bars look equal giving you true acurate color.

You start with your grey scale since that actually has more information

than color. You then move to blue since that is the primary with

the most information. Then red then green. The instructions

on the disk are great. It is really not too hard to do.

In my case, I could not shift my green enough to make it even. It is close, but not dead on like the other colors.

The picture looks great.

I am not sure how you could eyeball this without some sort of tool for reference.

JM

I received my DVD yesterday! Great service too, less than 48 hours and it was in my player. I'm pleased with the results, but interestingly, my TV wasn't too far off. My sharpness and brightness needed the most adjustment, but overall the factory settings would definitely be ok in my case. For $20 I think it's worth taking a look, even from an informational aspect alone. This sounds way too much like an info-mercial!! Thanks to all for the recomendations-

Jeff

The picture looks great.

I am not sure how you could eyeball this without some sort of tool for reference.

JM

Most everyone knows what skin/flesh-tones should look like, and are most critical to the observer, so that's my reference. Working in the graphics/printing field may also aid in my guesstimations here, however we typically work and color correct in a CMYK mode, not RGB. It's a whole different world, but I'm still learnin' [8-|]