what to use for cleaning plexiglass plinth

joessportster

Meguiars. They have a plastic cleaner with some very light abrasive that will take out scratches, then a plastic polish to take it back up to a nice lustre.

Look for it in auto parts stores. I used to work in Learjet parts depo. They used it on the windshields of corporate jets, should be good enough for your turntable. Also there is a product 403D I think by Permatex that is similar.

Michael

Both Gary and I have Basis's own acrylic polish and polishing cloth. It does a nice job and uses so little each time that it will take ages for it to run out. It costs, though (Basis, after all!), so you can certainly borrow mine and Gary might offer as well.

Larry

When it comes to cleaning and polishing plastic NOVUS is the best available! The #1 is the polish, the #2 is the spray treament after using #1. I think the #3 is for heavy scratches but I am not certain. I use the #1 and #2. It has many other uses as well.

When I was working as a Biomedical equipment technician it is what we used to clean displays and scratched plastic, and I liked it so much I bought some to clean up plastic displays on electronic components and it works wonders.

EDIT: I would use what the manufacturer recommends or has before going with an alternate product, as Gary has stated below. It is probably made for Basis by Novus or another company since you said it was pricey, they certainly don't give the NOVUS stuff away.

I'm the type of person who won't use anything but the manufactuer's product for something like this. It may be cheaper to get some thing else. May even be better. I won't take the chance. The Basis cleaning solution and cloth is the only thing I'll ever use on my Basis table. Probably doesn't hurt that they threw in a lifetime supply when I bought the table.[;)] Oh yeah, it works great too! A little goes a long way.

Here ya go. http://www.theturntablefactory.com/cover.html I have used this method with very pleasing results. I just found equivalent products and even skipped a couple of steps in some cases. All you want to do is make the scratches smaller and smaller and smaller and smaller and....... well you get the idea. Let us know how it turns (no pun intended) out.

HF

CAREFUL. The Novus products reccomended are for repairing already scratched plastics. #3 for heavy scratches, followed by #2, then to #1. But it sounds like you just need something to keep your Basis, clean and pristine and avoid scratching it to begin with. Do not touch an already nice surface with Novus #2 or #3 or you'll just scratch it! #1 probably wouldn't hurt it but I'd just go with the Basis products to be safe.

I've used those Novus products to bring some pretty nasty dustcovers back to life. They work great for hazy and lightly scratched plastic.

Joe,

You do have to get it through a dealer -- SoundWorks in Kensington (301-929-8600) says they can order it for you. The only other nearby dealer I know of who deals regularly with Basis is Boulevard Audio in Alexandria, VA, http://www.boulevardaudio.com/, and I'm sure he (Lynn Hopffgarten) would order the fluid/polishing cloth and send it to you.

However, it costs $50, so I'd also be glad to loan it to you since only a few drops will do the trick.

Larry