Beatles Blue Box Question

rplace

Looking to pick up a Beatles Blue Box collection BC-13. I see one on ebay with reasonable BIN, however it is the Australian version. I really don't care about the collectability or the difference in boxes, but I do care about the sound. I have been told that the Parlaphon/Apple recordings in the UK version are pretty good.

- Anyone know if the different versions (I have seen German, Swedish, Australian) have different LPs and thus different sounds or are they all the same with different packaging.?

- If there is a difference anyone know what is the "best"?

- Might as well ask...anyone here have one to sell?

If I remember correctly at least JoeS, Parrot and Fini have them don't ya? How do you like em?

cant give you a comparison based on sound, i can say be careful of deals from australia i had a couple bad experiences with scams from there. i can also say i have heard the parlorphone, apple sets were best i have one and will say the sound is very good at least as good as some digital remastered albums i have Joe

Joe, thanks for the heads up on Australia. The guy selling is actually in the U.S. He is not the original owner. This makes me a little suspicious as to the quality/care given to the LPs. Not sure why he would be getting rid of it so soon. Still his feedback is 100% and the auction sounds decent, so I am considering it. I am most curious to know if they are the same LPs repackaged for different markets or if they are pressed in different parts of the world with different sound quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beatles-Blue-Box-BC-13-Australian-Pressing-All-Inserts_W0QQitemZ4789102985QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemv

Don't you have a set? How do you like if? I saw you bidding on it a few months back so did not bid myself. That looked like a nice set and if I remember correctly it was on the east coast too.

Wow, lots of good infor at that site...not much talk about sound quality. They did mention that the Holland issue was slightly better "quality" then the UK. Not sure if that means sound or the quality of the box, posters, etc.

I'd get either the UK set or the US set. The US set was pressed in the

UK anyway and the only difference is the labels (Capitol instead of

Parlophone). Not that there would be anything wrong with sets from

other countries, but there's always a slight possibility they wouldn't

have used the right tapes.

The Japanese set is mastered a little brighter, in the typical Japanese

taste, but has supposedly quieter vinyl. An old friend of mine had the

Japanese set and it was great but her speakers weren't Klipsch so it's

hard to say anything definitive on the EQ score. One thing especially

enjoyable about the set was reading the hilarious attempts on the lyric

sheets that the Japanese made in trying to render the English lyrics.

On eBay the way to get a bargain is to search for the set under lots of

different headings: blue box beatles, beatles collection, beatles 13,

beatles 14 (because there are actually 14 LPs since one of the 13

titles is a double), beatles BC13. Sometimes you'll find one that isn't

getting much attention. I got mine with BuyItNow after it had only been

up a few minutes. I think it was $65-70, something like that. It's the

best way to listen to The Beatles, within reason.

Joe, thanks for the heads up on Australia. The guy selling is actually in the U.S. He is not the original owner. This makes me a little suspicious as to the quality/care given to the LPs. Not sure why he would be getting rid of it so soon. Still his feedback is 100% and the auction sounds decent, so I am considering it. I am most curious to know if they are the same LPs repackaged for different markets or if they are pressed in different parts of the world with different sound quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beatles-Blue-Box-BC-13-Australian-Pressing-All-Inserts_W0QQitemZ4789102985QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemv

Don't you have a set? How do you like if? I saw you bidding on it a few months back so did not bid myself. That looked like a nice set and if I remember correctly it was on the east coast too.

If this is the auction you are refering to,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4789102985

Then jump over to the SH.TV forum and ask the seller about the condition. There is a thread going over there regarding this auction.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=65019&highlight=australian