sort of like the new Beetle. I can't imagine Steve McQueen

driving one. It is a fine and fun car but is it the name that

feminizes it? When you think about it, Corvette also sounds a bit

feminine but it has a more macho image (and HP). Also, the Miata is a bit

small for taller drivers. The old Mazda RX-7s are also worth a

look.

I still vote for a "71-'73 Datsun 240z. I think it's one of the

best bargains for a true sports car that is reliable and even

practical. It's also a very good looking car from every angle.

post-17394-13819275900628_thumb.jpg

Another idea . Look into an early 70's BMW 2002. I think

they can still be had fairly cheap. A non rusty one will probably

run higher than 3 kilobucks though. They are a blast to drive but

can have fatal rust problems (check the shock towers). There is

also plenty of room for Jr.

Some, perhaps all of you will laugh and my next 2 suggestions don't fit the vintage criterea. A Nissan pickup that has been lowered about 2" inches overall and a set of lower profile tires on a bigger rim does very well and will surprise many more powerful cars in peformance. I raced my last pickup in the above configuration in SCCA Solo Two events for a couple of years with amazing results. Alot of times I was getting as good or even better times than Cameros, Mustangs, Firebirds and Corvettes and had no problem staying with the smaller RWD formats either (Miatas& Cellicas). I currently drive a beat up bone stock Nissan pickup like I stole it everyday and have a blast doing it. If you know nothing of Solo events they usually favor smaller cars and front wheel drive. My second suggestion is the Dodge Omni GLH Turbo or Charger Turbo especially the Shelby versions easily matches the straight line performance of the V-8's of its day and drives like its on rails. I had a non turbo version and loved it, run off many a 305 Iroc/Z28 and earlier 80's Mustangs with it. Transmissions are hard to keep in em though. Oh heres another suggestion but out of the price requirements. The GMC Cyclones and Typhoons.

HF

A lot depends on how much work you can do yourself, or are willing to spend to have done. The most fun car I ever drove was a 1974-ish Fiat 124 Sport Spyder convertible, but I replaced wheel bearings on every even week and alternators on every odd week, with the occational head gasget and timing belt thrown in once every other month or so.

Triumph Spitfire, TR-6, TR-4a, MGB, MG Midget, Sunbeam, older Alpha Romeo are all a blast to drive and require a full-time support staff to keep running.

old version Volkswagon Beetle convertible might be had for that money, and it tends to keep running.

If you just want something fun to drive that actually works, I'd have to jump on the Miata bandwagon. Another choice would be the original series Toyota MR2, not sure what those are going for. Or a Honda Del Sol.

Older Porsche are fun but you need to adjust the valves every 3,000 miles. Not bad when you finally figure out how to do it.. 6 bolts and the engine is free to drop and can be done in about 2 hours and back in running like a top. Had a 70 911 T for about 6 years. Basically a VW with more go to it. You can drop a nice exhaust, holly-webbers, koni shocks and have a great weekend driver. Put a 2 " bar across the front shock towers for better stability in the corners. Great car, wish I still had it. Something about the wife not liking it cause it did not have AC. Boy I sure miss here, the Porsche.

Older bugs are great as well. Like a Porsche, adjust those valves. Get an external oil cooler as well if you live in a hot area. Will save you a lot of seized valves.

I remember buying a Triumph motorcycle back in the late 70's and had to buy tools that were called Wentworth or something like that. Not quite metric and not standard. That thing leaked oil not matter how many times I changed the gasket. The machining was just a hair off. Fun bike but a lot of headaches. Wiring were not the best as well. I would rewire it every year. That rectifier with the big fins on the front would get so hot as to burn a few hands now a nd then. Have fun chosing your car, errr, money pit. And get the wifes approval.

Some good stuff here, guys. Thanks. I wouldn't mind if the thing's a bit of a roach cosmetically, but I do want something fun to drive for next summer, and that doesn't include having it break down all the time! The Datsun might make sense. Thanks for the advice.

Edwin-you kill me!