Al K. done good, REAL GOOD

D-MAN

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, are we forgetting who is paying for these things?![;)]

DM

{edit} Horror stories aside, fuses degrade the sound. Period.

I can't say anything else about it because I don't want to make anyone mad, and everything that I can think of on the matter would just do only that, and that is not my intention.

Dean, the Jubilee plot (#2) I did have questions about, so thank you.

{edit} in thinking about this, nobody would test a speaker without a crossover - you would blow up the high frequency drivers - so NOPE, Dean, I'm not buying it.

But the first one (from SB article) is correctly labelled - it's the corrected version. Note the improved performance at 400Hz caused by the narrow(er) slot.

P.S. - Al K - what, exactly is the point of putting a fuse on the woofer circuit? Frankly, it isn't the woofer that I would worry about. The woofer is cheap in comparison to the high-end drivers that I'm using. The woofer is the cheapest thing in the whole cabinet, and the high-freq drivers are independent! What is the point?! Seems to me there is none and that it's just HABIT.

Fuses are OK for PA applications, not hi-fi!

DM

• 5 months later...

Hey, Mike, thanks for digging this thread out - I've got more to add to it now...

As I stated before, the upper frequency bandpass capability of the bass horn causes problems with a low-order crossover which forced me to throw some money at the problem.

Came up with this as a possible solution so that a first-order crossover can be used. The major consideration of this is that it is a driver-specific solution, but so is the ES crossover, now that I think about it. The physical solution is certainly cheaper, though.

Haven't tried it yet, as I don't have a crying need for it (yet), but thought I'd post for youse guys...

Dana

post-13458-13819298439372_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...