Klipsch ..."revealing" ...or ..just Harsh ...??

Duke Spinner

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a tough question ; I've heard both instances (i.e., the "good" and "bad") and it depends on the gear and the room they are in.

I have heard LS's in both instances, one I liked and thought about buying them, and one placement (the same horns!) I actually HATED - they were everything that I wouldn't consider buying! So placement is paramount in getting a good sound out of them, IMO.

As for Khorns, I have never heard a pair that I didn't like! Even on the same gear that "ruined" the LS's in the same room...

Well, they are not speakers that you can just put anywhere and have them sound good. They are just too placement-dependent, but that's part of the designs.

DM

Some of the best sound guys I've met are completely deaf above 5, or

8kHz - the mind is very powerful in that it can compensate for lack of

sensory perception capability. Think about it...mixing every day your

ears gradually get worse, but at the same time all the natural sounds

you hear throughout the day change slightly too. Since you're spending

more time listening to real sounds than recorded ones, you naturally

make things sound "natural" to your ears - which means ear damage

really doesn't affect ones listening abilities.

Now if you were to lose your hearing quickly or temporarily (like a

sinus cold or if a dumb drummer whacks the snare while your head is

right next to it), then your mind hasn't had time to recalibrate and if

you're not conscious of the difference you will still make it sound

natural to you, which ends up sounding like crap to everyone else.

I think what's more imporant here is ear training and the ability to

decipher between various sounds. For example, it took me about 6 months

to be able to instantly (without thinking about it) decipher between an

electronic piano and an acoustic guitar running via line level...it

really is a lot harder than you might think (especially with all the

other noise happening at the same time). But once I obtained that

threshold, I could probably take a crap load of damage to my ears and

still be able to tell the difference. The more time you spend playing

with this stuff, the better trained your ears get (hopefully) [;)]

Dude, what did you expect with that gear? CDs and SS aren't really backwards compatible with Klipsch Heritage. PKW's genius was fostered in the vinly and tube era. You need to revert to the technology that was current when the Klipsch Heritage was born, man. Heritage Klipsh are beautifully revealing of what good old vinyl and tube can do. Trying to drive then with gear that didn't really exist when they were designed is like - what, somebody help me out here....?

Pauln

Dude, what did you expect with that gear? CDs and SS aren't really backwards compatible with Klipsch Heritage. PKW's genius was fostered in the vinly and tube era. You need to revert to the technology that was current when the Klipsch Heritage was born, man. Heritage Klipsh are beautifully revealing of what good old vinyl and tube can do. Trying to drive then with gear that didn't really exist when they were designed is like - what, somebody help me out here....?

Pauln

B.S. My Belles with Deans mildly upgraded AA networks , and a SS amp will blow you away !!! PS seems to me that when I was growing up Reel to Reel was the audiophile standard . What do you think about that ?

I am always amazed at the performance of Klipsch Heritage. Even with some "modern" gear. It is simillar to the experience with records. The fidelity captured in records 50 years ago exceeded the capabilities of the gear at that time. Only later did it become apparent that the capabilities of "modern" gear could do so much with them. Likewise with the Heritage speakers. Playing Heritage with SS and CDs is outside the original design spec - what a pleasure to dicover that PWK's genious extends so far into the future.