Great deal on inter-connects

NOSValves

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another good place for reasonably priced, well built cables is Markertek.

http://markertek.com/

They also sell all the supplies for anyone that wants to try them themselves.

Erik,

I haven't tried them yet but I keep meaning to pick up a pair of the Neutrik Pro/Fi RCA connectors to try out. Have you ever used them? They are expensive at around $16 a pair but the neat trick with them is you can *hot* plug them without causing noise problems like what happens when you hot plug any normal RCA connection.

For hot plugging you would likely only need them at one end of the cable and as long as you disconnect that end first/connect that end last it would be hot pluggable without noise problems.

For those that don't know the reason you can't hot plug RCAs is the hot disconnects last with the ground disconnecting first. Once the ground path is broken between the two devices you end up with a very loud ground loop until the hot connection breaks. When plugging them in hot connects first before ground and you get the same condition. The Neutrik Pro/Fi connectors have extending ground connectors on them. It makes it so hot disconnects first when unplugging them which avoids the ground loop and on insertion ground makes contact first so again no ground loop noise.

Granted hot plugging isn't terrible needed but for someone that runs multiple pre-amps or amps it could come in handy for a set of interconnects. Ditto with a bench setup so you don't need to keep turning the equipment on/off when changing connections around.

Shawn

I just hot plug them it helps blow the dust off the drivers[;)]

Shawn:

I haven't used those cables before, but I can see how for some they would be very useful. The price isn't too bad, either. I have a friend, a guy who builds turntables, who emailed me a couple of weeks ago with information/link on pure silver RCA jacks for also $16. I'm sure they are nice jacks, and the cost seems really low for pure silver, but I would rather not spend that much just for the difference in material. I made a pair of ICs and speaker cable using all silver wire(very fine coax with both silver conductor and silver braided shield and solid silver wire with Teflon insulation for the speaker cable) and I didn't notice a difference between the silver and similar lengths and AWGs of copper. I'm using Teflon insulated silver-plated copper for the wiring between the drivers and crossover in the Klipschorns, and there is no significant difference there, either. I used it because it's what I happened to have at the time. It's just wire.

Marvel: Sure, I'm familiar with Risch's work. I corresponded with him about ten years ago (it's amazing that it has been that long)about all of this. He's done a considerable amount of testing and comparison of different cable types, although I didn't come to all of the same conclusions he did with regard to how certain different materials and designs 'sound.' He is the one responsible for the so-called 'cross-connected' Belden 89259 (I think that's the right part number) speaker cable. I still have the 9 foot pair I made. (I didn't use the 89259 cable, but another with PE dielectric materials rather than Teflon) I actually preferred the twisted pair of stranded 14AWG Romex I bought for next to nothing at Home Depot. The 89259 does use Teflon insulation for both the center conductor and outer jacket, and Teflon isn't cheap. Risch also very much dislikes copper-clad steel as a conductor in coax, but I tried it and didn't find that much of a difference between another pair I made that uses pure copper.

The cable I used for Jim's and another forum member's ICs (Parts Express) is under $40 for a 100ft roll. With the connectors Jim provided a link for above, the cost savings are obvious. For those who don't know how to build for themselves (or would rather not) I did mention that I thought the cables Craig shared looked good for the cost. Compared to the hi-end stuff, they are a great bargain.

Re: Parrot:

Erik

Anyone looking for premium build quality, twisted pair design, silver plated wire, double shielding and a sexy sheith all at a very reasonable price should check out the eKs at www.knukonceptz.com. I've been using their cables for three years and I find they compare very well to the likes of Straight Wire and Tributary and other esoteric brands at nearly 1/10 th the price.

Jerry R

Anyone looking for premium build quality, twisted pair design, silver plated wire, double shielding and a sexy sheith all at a very reasonable price should check out the eKs at www.knukonceptz.com. I've been using their cables for three years and I find they compare very well to the likes of Straight Wire and Tributary and other esoteric brands at nearly 1/10 th the price.

Jerry R

Now those are cheap prices! How the hell you figure they do that? 1 meter pait for $3.99? The darn terminaion cost near that much. Wish they supplied some specs on them.

What the heck does this mean?

This 1 Meter (39") RCA cable also has a built in remote turn on lead.

Craig

Shawn:

Looking again at those 'hot' connect/disconnect, I think they would actually be useful here. We have that cross-entranceway run for the rear channels, and it's something that would enable me to just pull the cord out and out of the way if needed -- whenever, without worry. I think they would be good for anyone who moves gear and/or cables around often.

Erik

Craig, I can't find the eKs you're looking at:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=eKs-R1

This is possibly Jerry's ICs and what I found at $39.99 (not as good as $3.99 but still a bargain). I did find a Y-cable for $3.99 if I'm not mistaken. Don't know anything about a remote turnon...

Found these interconnects, Craig...

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KLA-1M

"Klarity Kable offers high end performance and feel for a fraction of the cost. Featuring a braided copper shield, covering 95% of the surface area, offers an solid barrier from noise. The ends of the kable are injection molded metal with strain relief for a solid, dependable connection. The kable is finished in a translucent blue PVC jacket and gold plated RCA connections. This 1 Meter (39") RCA cable also has a built in remote turn on lead."

For that $3.99 price alone it'd be cool to investigate what a remote turn on lead does. But I already have all the ICs I need so I won't be buying 'em.

From looking at their products section, it looks like these guys are

mostly aimed at car audio. A remote turn on lead is a wire that runs

from an aftermarket car radio to a seperate amp. The radio will then

send out a certain voltage over the turn on lead to, well, tell the amp

to turn on. Their built in turn on lead is most likely a 22 ga wire

attached to the rca cables.

Their prices on interconnects do look pretty good.

Jerry R

Now those are cheap prices! How the hell you figure they do that? 1 meter pait for $3.99? The darn terminaion cost near that much. Wish they supplied some specs on them.

What the heck does this mean?

This 1 Meter (39") RCA cable also has a built in remote turn on lead.

Craig

Craig, that's the extra single wire used in automotive installations for remote switch on for amps, so they don't give the surge 'thump' to your speakers.

Found these interconnects, Craig...

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KLA-1M

"Klarity Kable offers high end performance and feel for a fraction of the cost. Featuring a braided copper shield, covering 95% of the surface area, offers an solid barrier from noise. The ends of the kable are injection molded metal with strain relief for a solid, dependable connection. The kable is finished in a translucent blue PVC jacket and gold plated RCA connections. This 1 Meter (39") RCA cable also has a built in remote turn on lead."

For that $3.99 price alone it'd be cool to investigate what a remote turn on lead does. But I already have all the ICs I need so I won't be buying 'em.

Yup those are the ones I'm talking about. WTF how can they sell a IC with descent termination for $3.99??

Your system would first have to actually have HF response and second you personally would need the ability to hear it, I would think.

Well yes he may be baiting but he may also have a valid point...........

That Pual...what a character. Smart as a whip, he is. Paul is indeed a true master baiter (like a Master Jedi...or is that Jedi Master?)![:S]

Craig:

"Well yes he may be baiting but he may also have a valid point........... "

Really? please carefully elaborate, and use very specific examples. Furthermore, and in detail, please describe how my system is currently being used. In all cases, correlate all information with Paul's ignorant observation.

I've got lots of time on hands....

Erik

Craig:

A better idea: In the time you would have taken to outline all the failings of my system, including the Baldwin PP 6L6 front L/R amplifier, the 8 watt (bridged) 6BQ5 single ended amp I built this summer on the center La Scala, my own version of JFL's Horus (with AVVT meshplates) on the sides, and the Moth Audio si2A3 (with KR Enterprise 2A3s) powering the Lowther rear-loaded horns in the back, you would have been able to get a little more work done on the equipment waiting in line for your labor. I would rather you spend time on that. I certainly would. In fact, I'm trying to finish braiding a pair of CAT 5 speaker cables for another forum member I told him I would get to him by Thanksgiving.

I'm not going to waste time with this kind of ignorant, arrogant baiting (with your follow up reinforcement), and I hereby willingly, happily, and preferably jump into the 90% crowd that hasn't clue about what they thought they knew about their own music listening styles and choices of equipment. (However, my gut level feeling is that those who have been flung into that heap know much, much better)[:D]

Erik

ooops! Not to forget the heart of the system! The Lexicon digital processor.