Cornwall 511B "voice of the Corn"[:)]

travisc

jw,

well I had been following the the herescala thread or whatever it was called for ideas but it looks as though the project went into limbo.

I use two Heresy as a center right now. My thoughts are building a cabinet roughly the size of the two put together, with twin k-22-k's a 511b and a k-77. I would think a sealed cab, but what do I know.

now, again the pateince would have to be a big factor. This would be a learning experience for me and quite frankly when you and dr who start in with the graphs and plots I get lost real quick.

thanks

It can be done. Couple of things to consider and it was my big delimma. Two k22 side by side possibly could have some of this comb filtering every loves to talk about. However, your crossing of the woofer would be lower since you will put the midrange to 400Hz. The lower the frequencies, the less of the comb filtering. Vertical arrangement would be best only for the argument sake.

Do you want the 511b on top of the cabinet or in the cabinet. One thing to note is that the 511b is hard to "seal" but it can be done.

Great Idea. I think you should do it. I think two speakers side by side like you have it now is not very good from my experience. I did it to "catch up" to my front speakers but the sound was not that great. The Herescala fixed that.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok here goes...long post. Sorry the thread is going this direction but you Altec mid horn guys may want to read this for possibilities of center channels. I spent a few months belaboring this topic.

I ended up just using one K22 because of space limitations. This would basically be a Heresy like center channel with a midrange crossed down to 400Hz just as you have or will do with your modified Cornwalls (except I used the K401..for now).

For a simple approach to match your speakers now, you could use an 811 as the midhorn and leave the XO just like a Type E with the mid crossed at the standard 700Hz. The K22 and the tweeter will run the same. Note, this is first order for the 811/K55 crossed at 700. I assume the 811 will handle it. Chime in anyone. This speaker wouldn't be that large.

The other possibility is the way you are trying to do and that is to incorporate the 511. Just 3.3uF mid cap instead of 2uF for a Type E network. Now just a little larger to accomidate the 511 which is slightly bigger than the 811.

Now to get where I originally wanted but couldn't due to space problems for a center. Use your 511. Cross at 400Hz. But instead use two K22's and run them parallel. This will cut the low pass impedence to 1/2 which will be close to what a K33 is. Therefore you could use the same network others have suggested for your current FRONT setup. This is the type B with the mid cap at 6.8uF. Now the advantage of this will be that the dB of that center channel is the same as your FRONTS. Now this is a good match. Wish I could have done it. I still have an extra Alnico K22 sittin here.

jc

JW,

thats what I wanted to hear!! Until I can practice some woodworking skills a little, I am wondering, if I took the two Heresy, ran the 22's parallel in thier own cabs and built a top hat for the altec 511b and a single k-77 I could use a b network with a 6.8 instead of a four? Are you saying this would work? Or would the cabinet dimension(s) need to change? I have two more 511b's in the mail.

God I love this forum!!

Yes you could do that. Just run the woofer wires to the back of the heresy cabinets and disconnect the networks. Remove one tweeter and fill the hole with something. Remove one K55 and fill the hole on the K700. Put one 511 on top and one tweeter. Don't build a "top hat" yet. Do just what you said and I previously said with the modified Type B network. Now you get to hear it out w/o the woodworking.

The volume w/o the drivers in one of the woofer cabinets will change very little and this wouldn't make much difference since this is a sealed enclosure (not vented).

You can either change one of the type E networks (removed) to the type B or just start from scratch. If converting the Type E, You would have to move two taps on the autoformer and change the midcap from 2uF to 6.8uF. Not that hard.

alright consider it a plan in action!! This will cost next to nothing and for the network I can just morph one of my E's into a B

thank you for the guidance

Btw guys I really like what I am hearing. It is what I was hoping for. Little less in your face and more open

I have been eyeballing and smelling the sound dampening paint on these horns, and I think it is the same as the rubberized undercoating I used on the blocks of wood. just a thought if you are planning on painting the horns. 3m makes some good stuff available at any auto parts store

well i'm not exactly an expert painter, so i'm not sure how good a light color would come out. if i go the bronze/copper route it'd need to be nice and smooth looking, otherwise it'll look cheesey.

i could bring it to an auto-body shop, but they might have trouble spraying toward the inner-back "tunnel" of the horn.

I showed one of my horns to the autobody guy I know he said no problem. I say have them chromed or that retro seventies Dukes of hazard shiny speckled gold color.

just kidding, I think the copper will have to be just the right color....but if you pull it off they will look amazing!!