Almost done.........

Tom Adams

Tom: I'm amazed. It looks terrific.The burgundy and gray really works and I think you will love your screen even more after having painted the surround black. I did the whole front wall black and it made a major difference. In your case, there's no need to do the entire wall. Nice job, man. Thanks for sharing.

the wife says it will NEVER be truly complete. Sadly - I think she's right

Yeah... but if you're anything like me, you'd be looking for a new project if it were complete...

I still have access to behind the rack, but it's via the attic and a bit of a PITA.

Just curious if you've had a chance to plug things in a see how you

like the sliders? I hadn't thought of those... and I'm curious to

how you like them.

I was considering allowing my whole unit to pull out in a single piece...

ROb

Tom: I'm amazed. It looks terrific.The burgundy and gray really works and I think you will love your screen even more after having painted the surround black. I did the whole front wall black and it made a major difference. In your case, there's no need to do the entire wall. Nice job, man. Thanks for sharing.

Actually picky, what you're looking at is a wall covered in black marine grade carpet from Lowe's! I didn't think I could paint the wall black and get as good or consistant "finish" as with the black carpet since it would hide any wall imperfections. Used a 6' wide by 13' long piece and 2 quarts of indoor/outdoor carpet glue and the cost was less than $60. And the black of the carpet is almost identical to the black trim of the screen frame.

Tom

Thanks guys for the kind words. I must tell you that when the screen went up it was a rather emotional moment for me. I mean, after months & months of thinking, planning, fabricating, constructing, creating solutions, etc., hanging the screen represented a major milestone culmination. The wife looked at it, then around the room, sat down, looked at me and said, "Tom.....it looks sooooo good. I know you kept trying to tell me what your vision was and I thought I had an idea of what it would look like, but I had no idea it would be this nice. Tom....you are amazing."

And then we cried (happy tears of course). [:)]

jm - Yeah, I plan to leave what is termed as a "service loop" in my cables so I don't disconnect when the drawer is slide all the way out.

formica - I also considered what is called a box within a box type rack. The inner box being what houses the equipment and is the box that is pulled out. But after looking at hardware and construction, it got kinda pricey and complicated from a construction point of view. My solution isn't perfect, but does the trick. Besides, the money I saved goes towards a new DVD player! [:)]

BTW, I've come to the conclusion that projects like these actually serve only one purpose. And that is to let us know what we CAN NOT make a living at! LOL....[:D] I mean, I think I do very good work, but good lord does it ever take me forever. LOL...[:D]

Tom

Actually picky, what you're looking at is a wall covered in black marine grade carpet from Lowe's! I didn't think I could paint the wall black and get as good or consistant "finish" as with the black carpet since it would hide any wall imperfections. Used a 6' wide by 13' long piece and 2 quarts of indoor/outdoor carpet glue and the cost was less than $60. And the black of the carpet is almost identical to the black trim of the screen frame.

Tom

That's excellent, Tom! I love to see people use their ingenuity. I guess I'm always going to be a die-hard "gearhead" (engineer)! Nice going! I simply used Benjamin Moore interior latex flat black. Yes, it probably appears splotchier than your carpet probably looks. I applied 2 to 3 coats and the manner in which I light my room (accent lighting) helps to conceal any flaws in the paint.

Tom,

You and the Missus ROCK. That settles it. We're coming over for a Christmas holiday cocktail [:D]

The bar is stocked. Come on over! Hell, we even have several wines that don't have twist off caps!! Yep - ain't nothing too good for my friends. LMAO.........

scooter - believe me....I'll be spending plenty of time in that room over the Christmas holiday break. If that room had a bathroom and a frig, it could be days before I'd come out of there. And that's only to take a shower! LOL..........

BTW, these are the theater seats we've settled on:

http://www.lanefurniture.com/products/ProdInfoDet.asp?MasterNo=12690

Oh....and I got the green light last night from the wife to pull the trigger on a Denon 2910!

Tom

Well, my 2 year HT project is nearing completion (the wife says it will NEVER be truly complete. Sadly - I think she's right). Here's a few pics now that the screen and screen wall are done. Enjoy......... [:)]

Tom

You are going to love your new screen and projector.

It looks great and should sound good too!!

Congratulations on all the hard work and the understanding wife.

Tom,

I didn't realize until now, just where you live. My best friend worked

at a state historic site in Midway for a few years, ended up working at

the museum at Ft. Stewart, and is now up in Pennsylvania.

My wife has relatives over in Ludowici. We haven't been that way in

years though. Pretty neat area down there, even if it is flat.

The theater is looking awesome! Just my take, but I think I would have

made the back of your 'rack' a door. Then you could look at all the

wiring and how it's plugged in without pulling out the equipment.

Bruce

BTW, I've come to the conclusion that projects like these actually serve only one purpose. And that is to let us know what we CAN NOT make a living at! LOL....[:D] I mean, I think I do very good work, but good lord does it ever take me forever. LOL...[:D]

Tom

A good friend of mine who is a custom cabinet maker (and a Very Good One!) once told me that the hardest thing for him to develope when he first started out was a good sense of when on time out weighs perfect!

I Love the carpet idea, too. Given my (Lack of) painting skills, that is the kind of ideas that come in handy for me!