with solid state similar to mine?

Klipsch speakers in general are SO dang efficient. You will have great

listening pleasure with your 1605, or whatever it is. If you went to

the Denon 3806 it would make the RF-7's sound extra good. If you went

Denon 5805 you would crap your pants. And if you went separates with a

Rotel or Carver amp you would probably self-combust with so much

listening pleasure.

Yes Yamaha is the way to go.

I totally disagree and have 3 yamaha receivers sitting in the garage that I have replaced with Denons. I didn't think there was a difference until I actually brought a Denon home and tried it out. If I am remembering right, BobbyT is the only one that actually had a Denon and decided to exchange it for a Yamaha. I feel there are more people that have upgraded to Denon from their Yamahas.There is nothing wrong with the Yamaha at lower volumes but the high current design of the Denons give you more clean power at higher levels.

I feel the upper end Denons are the happy medium between what Mr. McGoo is talking about on the 2 channel discussion (with the same topic) of headroom, verses spending slightly less money for a Yamaha whose watt per channel claims doesn't correspond equally with the Denons, IMO.

That being said I have no experience with the newer model Yammi's but can recommend the Denons on the afor mentioned thread. [:)]

tkd,

I don't know which Yamaha(s) you owned, but I had the 5560 (75wpc) and was ok with it at moderate volume but it got a tad painful to listen to when it was pushed. Granted, it was a lower end model, but it just didn't get the job done. On the other hand, I have heard Denon on a pair of KLF-30s and it sounded really nice. If I were in the market for a receiver, I would take a look at B&K, Denon, Integra and Marantz to get started.

David

The RF-7's are probably the only speaker in Klipsch's lineup that needs

big horsepower to be optimized. A low end reciever will work, but there

is a big difference between "working" and making them deliver what they

are capable of....and they are capable of some mighty fine sound

indeed!

As for recievers, Denon will work...or you can buy from the guys who actually MAKE the recievers for Denon...

Sherwood. Their NewCastle line works great with the Ref series and the

bigger R-865 and R-965 actually do a credible job on RF-7's.

Well, I posted this originally on both the 2-channel and home theater

forums, not sure that was such a good idea but I did get a good mix of

responses, all very much appreciated. As noted on the 2 channel

forum, I'm sticking with the Denon 1804 and the RF-35 system for now,

easier on the family situation this close to the holidays.

Someday it would be good to hear RF-7s with a capable amp and decent

room acoustics. I've put them on my wish list for future

upgrade/possible home theater. Till then what I have is quite

enjoyable. Thanks everyone.

One final thought for you, lo. Will your dealer allow you to take a pair of RF-7s home to demo them in your room with your equipment? If so, you could A-B the RF-7s with your RF-35s and decide which sounds best to you. Good luck and keep us posted on your search...

David

Went out looking at subs last night and found RF-7s new for $750 on sale, which seems like a good deal. Currently have surround components matched to my RF-35s. Have a two year old Denon 6 channel receiver, model 1605?? 1805??, I think it's 70-90 watts per channel. Do the RF-7s need a tube amp to get good response? I've read posts regarding big impedance changes across frequency and some implied limitations on using solid state amps. Anyone have experience with these speakers with solid state similar to mine?

Sound and Vision Magazine wrote an article on the Denon 3805 that convinced me that it was the best recevier for my reference series at this price point.

They recorded 107 watts through all 5 channels and some of the lowest distortion numbers I have ever seen in this price range for digital and analog processing. Lower than most SACD and DVD Audio players available!!!!

I find the Denon very neutral, which is my preference. Some prefer a warmer sounding receiver with the Klipsch brand but it is really up to your listening preference so audition as many receivers as you can with your setup.

With such an efficient and sensitive speaker like the reference series, low distortion should be high on your priority list, IMO!!!!