TV Recommendatios

boomac

I'ts not that I'm lazy and don't want to research all this but quite frankly, when I get to a big store, they all look pretty good to me.

The HT room (from the front of the TV) to the rear wall is 22 feet and the first row of seating will be 9 to 11 feet from the screen. There will be a row of 3 seats behind that but they will not be used on a regular basis. The room width is 14' 2". A Cornwall will be positioned underneath the screen.

I'm thinkin' a 55 to 62 inch screen and $2000 to $3500 is the price range. Plasma is probably not an option so I guess it's either DLP or LCD.

Wacha think?

I must echo what Dougdrake said, that sounds like a setup for a 100"

projection rig if I ever heard one. Move the main seating to the rear

seats as you want about 1.5 x the diag of the picture as a minimum

seating position, this would be 150" or about 12.5 feet. At this

distance or slightly more, you ARE IN THE MOVIES! Too bad if light

control is the spoiling factor. You can get a REAL NICE projector and

screen for that amount of money.

I have seen the 50" Samsung DLP and it's ok. The rumor mill has it that the new DLP and Sony and Toshiba's & Mitsubichis that are 1080P (not 1080i) are "kick-***". I have a 34" CRT Sony model and it was much better than the Samsung. I also have a Sony 23" LCD new model which compares very closely to the CRT.

JJK

OK, what are the advantages of having a front projection unit? I assume you get a larger image but what do you sacrifice in picture quality? For movies, I wouldn't really be too concerned but if I'm paying for HD, I would expect an HD picture.

I just (like 5 minutes ago) got done reading a review of a good DLP 1080p Mitsubishi in volume 22 (Jan '06) of the AV Guide (www.avguide.com). I was surprised by pricing.

You've got a big room so even 61" is less than ideal. 52" is even tougher.

Big problem with front projectors is controlling ambient light. I came soooo close to buying an Optoma H27 or H31 or an InFocus 4805 but didn't do it because of the ambient light problem. I ended up going with a 61" InFocus rear projection DLP which I love. My seating position is about 13' from the TV. I would have been dissatisfied with anything smaller than 61" and to be honest I will eventually go with something like a 72".

I saw this Sony tonight and it looked fantastic. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Sony 60" HDTV (KDS-R60XBR1)

It seemed good as any plasma in the joint. I was told I would have to spend at least twice the money for a matching quality front projection system. This model exceeds my proposed budget but it is the only one where I could notice a big difference.

Pause:

My kid just called and said he saw a 73" Mitsubishi for under 5K. He said they make a Diamond Model but that was way up there in cost.
I really don't want to move the seating back too far because I have a row of old theater seats that I got from an antique dealer and I would like to have them elivated directly behind the regular seating.

Boomac - If you can't control the light, I guess it's moot about a PJ's

picture quality. Can you control the light? If so, you can

get a stunning image, and a large one. If you haven't seen a

projected image from a decent HD projector, you should try to find a

dealer that has one so you can see it. And it doesn't have to be

expensive. I have a Panasonic AE700 that was $1750 and I think

the HD content I watch on it is great - the World Series was really

cool. And the picture quality is good enough that I don't have to

sit 1.5x the width of the screen if I don't want to.

Take a drive over to www.projectorcentral.com - you'll find lots to read.

You have the perfect size room for a front projector. My room is 26x18

and I have an Infocus 4805 and a 106"diag screen (soon to be 132").

Picture quality is outstanding especially with HD TV. DVD's look

freakin awesome too. I wouldn't even bother looking at anything but a

front projector personally.

Thats my 2cents

By control the light, do you mean - can I achieve total darkness? Actually, I can. There are no windows and all but the 6' entry will be dry-walled. The entry will be covered by heavy curtins that the boss lady will make for the opening. I'd like to have an exit light and of course, there will be lights from the components.

You have my attention though and I will take a look at these projecters.

By all means then go FRONT projection!

Our room has a 4 x 12 picture window on one side wall and the back of

the room is open to light coming in from the side and the picture is

awesome. As to detail, we had some repair guys over to the house to fix

the stove and talk turned to HT. One of the guys had just bought a HD

50" set and was thrilled with it. We cranked up our PJ and in less than

perfect light, (drapes closed but light in the back of the room) he was

BLOWN AWAY with our 100" PJ system. As luck would have it, he had just

watched "Star wars 3" the night before on his set and that is what I

used as a demo. He said he saw detail in the image (which was 4 times

larger than his!) that was not in his viewing at home. He couldn't wait

to get off work and buy a PJ THAT NIGHT and put his 50" up for sale! NO

KIDDING!!

High quality PJs have nothing to apologize for. After all, isn't it a

projected image that you go to see in a movie theater? As to price, our

PJ (Hitachi PJ-TX 100) had a MSRP 2 years ago of $3900 but they can be bought mail order

over the net with full warranty etc, for about $1750. Add to that a

screen (manual operation, automatic is more and fixed is less) of about

$300 and you better make some popcorn and settle in!

Boomac

I think a front projector will work great in your room, and I have been in your developing HT space.

In my HT, I have outside windows and it is open to the kitchen above,

and you have seen what it looks like. Also remember that my

projector is over 3 years old. The newer ones look even better

than mine.

I'll call you tonight after the kids go to bed.

JM

Do your homework and check prices. You could be looking at 100-110in screen for 3500.00. Projector is the way to go. In your budget you could probably do both. I have a DLP projector and the picture quality is superb. If you will be using HDTV, it will blow you away on how awesome it is. The one thing with going projector is to have the room dark. The other is sitting back far enough.

Jeff

Boomac,

I just put in a Benq PE7700. It works great with light in the back round. As long as I don't have the spots on right in front of the screen. DVD and HD are fantastic and regular TV is just as good as any other display. We can have on room lights and I have a walk out double doors next to it. I have it set up as a 92" diaganol and couldn't be happier. The projector and mount were around 2500 not hard to set up. I built a screen frame and bought screen material from AVS total screen cost 150. I used a 0.8 gain screen since the brightness of the projector needed that. The new projectors have more lumins and now the 720p naitive resolution ones are very competetive priced. I have my forte II's to the sides and rears and a academy under the screen. To me it looks as good as a plasma. I believe these newer projectors don't have near the lighting issues that the older ones have. In the price range your talking you could get an excellent projector. There is one down side and that is running cables to the projector but in my situtation it was just a little effort with a drop ceiling in my basement. If your anywere near the quad cities you are more than welcome to come take a look. If you go DLP you don't have to worry much about the 1.5 distance from the screen either and the viewing angle is great also. I can be way to the side and not get any dimming of the picture like in a rear projection unit. The lamp replacement is a concern but is no worse than any rear projection. Floor space is near zero. I would encourage you to at least look at front projection before you pull the trigger. Of course these are just my opinions and I may be bias.

Keith

Thanks for all the recommendations and information. Im now leaning toward a front projection set-up and John Malotky is stopping by on Saturday to check the room out and make some further recommendations. By using a front projection system, I can actually gain a foot, or more, of room length so the space should be able to accommodate a fairly large screen.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

What I am planning on doing today at Boomacs is measure his room.

I then am going to draw it in Autocad where it is very easy to do all

the math of a HT room. In that, I'll calculate the screen size,

location of projector , speakers furnature etc. to get the most

out of his space.

I think the location he picked is going to be good. You head down

the stairs and the entrance to the theater is on the left, to the right

is his nice sized pool hall (filled with Klipsch speakers and various

tube amps)[:D]

Another killer Heritage HT in the making[:D]

With Damon and FlyingV all building nice Heritage HTs in the coming

year, north western Milwaukee WI burbs will probably have the best

collection of Heritage HT's per mile in the US.[:D]

I was talking to FlyingV a few weeks back and he is planning another

subwoofer riser in his new house. New and improved over his last

one with 4 drivers. What a great idea. You hear and feel

the bass, and no subs boxes to hide. I remember the first time me

and my wife were over to his old house to see his old HT, my wife

turned to me and said, if you want to improve our sex life, you should

build one of these.

I'll see if Scott wants to post pics of his progress. I could also post my autocad work for others to learn too.

JM