Forte X over mod

dstrachan

I have done the cap upgrade on my Fortes and am pleased with teh results.

Is it worth replaceing the old resistors?

Al Klappenberger, while not offering any upgrades to the Fortes, has suggested I replace the inductor in the tweeter filter. Has anyone done this? Does it make for an improvement?

ANything else X over related that I should try?

What about basket damping etc?

Thanks fo your help.

Dave

A - exposed trace for soldering pad for inductor

B - removed some extraneous trace to allow a slot to be cut to pass foil inductor lead.

C - "elliptical" hole for inductor zip strap.

These modifications were accomplished using a dermel tool (cutting wheel, grinding heads), small set of files, X-acto knife, soldering iron and a little patience.

post-4037-13819276439998_thumb.jpg

This diaphragm's (+) wire seemed to have broken AT the connector. I took a single strand of copper wire from an electrical cord and managed to re-solder it to the connector (easy) and the original voice coil wire (that was a B!TCH). I applied clear fingernail polish over the 'new' wire and connection. Now it measures 8.6 ohms, the same as it's mate.... yeah DOES it work again....

post-4037-13819276441378_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

This is strange ,yesterday i loadid a pic of my Forte ll crosover in my computer but could not get it on the forum? Have to go back and read about putting the pic on the forum.

I was going to ask if there was anything i could change that would make a difference in the mid and high freq, a little more high freq would help.

How does it sound with the new parts, mine is 1992 model is that old enough to have a change in the xover from original.

Now THIS is a modified Forte II network....naw, really Jerohm, nice work on the changes. No sign of excessive hot glue or parts munging. These networks CAN be modified neatly in some cases, though I prefer to rework them completely. Of course, hearing a difference IS the point...

Chris

post-14415-1381927645878_thumb.jpg

I have built these networks for several speakers - Forte I and II, Chorus I and II, Academy, KLF20, KLF30 and KLF-C7. The improvements I personally have noticed are tighter bass, and cleaner midrange/highs; others have confirmed the same. Movie soundtracks are far more lifelike than they ever were before the mods. I am convinced that the most effective changes are those which address the entire frequency spectrum, not just part of it, which is why I chose to rebuild the entire crossover as opposed to doing only a partial rebuild. I DO however agree a partial rebuild WILL enhance the sound quality, as many have done.

Chris

"a little more high freq would help"

Add a 1µF cap from the input of the first 2µF cap in the tweeter circuit to the output of the second 2µF cap feeding the tweeter. This will change it from a Chebychev to a Cauer, and boost it a small amount (only 1dB~2dB).

I have built these networks for several speakers - Forte I and II, Chorus I and II, Academy, KLF20, KLF30 and KLF-C7. The improvements I personally have noticed are tighter bass, and cleaner midrange/highs; others have confirmed the same. Movie soundtracks are far more lifelike than they ever were before the mods. I am convinced that the most effective changes are those which address the entire frequency spectrum, not just part of it, which is why I chose to rebuild the entire crossover as opposed to doing only a partial rebuild. I DO however agree a partial rebuild WILL enhance the sound quality, as many have done.

Chris

I have Chris's Kstack in my KLF-C7 and it is beautiful for dialog. Keeps up with my Cornwalls and is crystal clear. Very punchy across the entire spectrum. It had more effect on the low end than I would have thought possible. I would highly recommend his work. Easy swap out too!

Michael

Now THIS is a modified Forte II network....naw, really Jerohm, nice work on the changes.

Chris

Hands DOWN Chris, you (and the other guys implementation I have seen) win in the beauty contest! I KNOW NOW, that the alpha-core foils are a pain to work with. The Sonicaps are nice because of their size. The pictures were posted pretty much only to spark others with possible implementation ideas. My goal was to keep costs to a minimum and be completely reversible.

• 1 month later...

Honch,

welcome buddy those crossovers posted on page one were built for me, I sold them and the speakers to another forum member. Those crossovers are worth every cent and really not very pricey.

I suggest e-mailing Chris, though he may lurk I dont see him around as frequently lately.