SVS CS-Ultra subwoofers

Kain

Since the RSW-15 has little chance that it will be available for export, I am considering the SVS Ultra subwoofers.

My question is that what does the Samson amp do? Can't I just directly connect the subwoofer to my receiver?

------------------

Home Theater (getting soon):

TV: Sony KV-ES34M80 (34" FD Trinitron WEGA)

DVD Player: Toshiba SD-5200

VCR: Sony SLV-ED100 (Hi-Fi VCR)

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V3000 or Denon AVR-4802

Speakers -

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7

Subwoofer: Klipsch RSW-15

The Samson Amp powers the subwoofer, the Ultra's don't have built in amps. And no you can't directely hook the sub to your reciever.

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KG4 Surrounds

Klipsch KSB 1.1 Front Effects

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

ART 351 Eq.

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

Ah okay. Smile.gif

But how do you think the SVS Ultras will compare to the RSW-15?

------------------

Speakers -

Subwoofer: Klipsch RSW-15

We'll i remember drooling in anticipation over all the hype that klipsch was saying about the LF-10 and LF-12 subs last year, They too were supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread!!! But no they were flopps all recalled because of Air Leaks ect.. I'm a real Klipsch fan but i've never been impreseed with there subs, and i didn't feel like waiting aroung and get dissapointed again. My opinion of the SVS Ultra over the RSW-15? No Contest SVS Hands Down.

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KG4 Surrounds

Klipsch KSB 1.1 Front Effects

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

ART 351 Eq.

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

KAIN64,

if you are not too much in a hurry with your sub, you might like to know that SVS seems to be working on a powered Ultra. As far as I know plans for such a beauty exist, but TV of SVS wrote me a message saying that I shouldn't expect market introduction before some time next year - so Tom, how is it going? Wink.gif.

Wolfram

This message has been edited by dubai2000 on 10-10-2001 at 04:37 PM

For maximum performance/cost ratio from svs...go with the dual CS_U/S1000 combo. We have 220-230v S1000s in stock.

Connection wise, you'd simply run the subwoofer preout from your receiver to the channel #1 input on the Samson...and then speaker wire from the S1000 to the sub(s). Crank the S1000 to full-gain,and calibrate normally. Takes all of 3 minutes probably...Smile.gif

our (old)20-39cs sub package(dual 20-39s) was Nousained a while back...

111.8dB/25hz and 115.5dB 25-63hz(avg). That's in a huge 7500 cu-ft room...2 meters from the subs...using a rather strict 10% thd limit. For comparison...the $2500 HGS15 hit 102-103dB at 25hz and 107.7dB from 25-63hz.(so it would take about 3 HGS15s to equal our $1199 package).

the CS_U package is being looked over by Nousaine right now,but we probably won't see anything in print for months.(typical industry lead time).

The CS_Ultras will undoubtedly prove to be a definite step up performance wise(over the 20-39cs).

nothing new on a CS_U_PC. maybe 2002.

TV

TV dont stop making the Ultra as it is now,I prefer the Ultra with no internal amp.The electronics(amp)should last longer(vibrations dont help in the long run).

Fine sub the Ultra(s).And with a Carver TFM-75 it shines!Outshines the Revel B15(finesse)and Aerial SW12(output).A very impressive feat!

The great thing is the tube design takes so little space.You can fit with ease two in small rooms(like my HT room).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

The "sound quality" of the powered Ultra will be the same as the current Ultra, right?

------------------

Speakers -

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

we have NO plans to discontinue the current CS_U model...they are selling very well...and I feel the cost/performance ratio would be hard for me to beat.

The Powered version will likely be the equal or nearly so to the passive unit.(there might be measureable differences...but probably not audible)

TV

quote:

Originally posted by TVodhanel:

The Powered version will likely be the equal or nearly so to the passive unit.(there might be measureable differences...but probably not audible)

TV

i'm sure there would be an audible dif for theear(s).

just jokin ears Biggrin.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

Klipsch KLF C7 (center)

Klipsch Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HT200 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

Monster HTS1000 powercenter

rock on!

Boa there may be,remember I dont use dinky amps to drive subs(or sats).I will use the Carver TFM-75 with 1000W RMS per channel(full bandwith)this dual mono pro monster can rip.And if it does not get the SVS Ultras to the max a Crown Marco Reference may replace it!The Crown Macro Reference has a damping to make any other amp "pee over itself". LOL

Long live true bass power.

Boa the HGS18 is quite impressive down low,and its true its very very clean.Just has to be cut at 60Hz to perform well,its a subsub to go with a subwoofer.

Now only the SVS Ultra is missing.The KSW subs are backordered(the Klipsch dealer told me).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

ears, i'm hoping the hgs-18 will jive well w/ the klf-30 when i get it cut right. been using my marantz sr8000 as a preamp & it has that dang fixed 80hz crossover. that cuts both the 30s & the hgs

too freakin high. though i switch the hgs' crossover out so as not to cut any LFE.

however, should get my new B&K reference 30 pre/pro tomorrow which'll let me set the sub low pass at 10hz increments all the way down to 20hz (i think), as well as an adjustable slope. should be best somewhere between 40-60hz. it also has a frequency sweep & EQ for taking

out the notches. can even control the sub phase from the ref 30. will experiment & see.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

Klipsch KLF C7 (center)

Klipsch Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HT200 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

Monster HTS1000 powercenter

rock on!

Boa the HGS15 and 18 match well with almost all large speakers.The KLF30's are very large and can go quite low in the bass.I possible I would cut the KLF30's around 40Hz and let the big Velo take the rest of the load.

Results depend on the room,and where you position your speakers and sub.

I place my subs along the front wall(at least 2-3 feet from corners).This way the sub bass response is more even.No nasty BOOMY or DEAD spots.

The speakers are 3 feet in room(from back of speaker)and give me very good results.From Klipsch to Dynes it works quite well.

TheEAR(s) Now theears