Say good bye to all other subs,Thiis sub will move the entire house !

Paul

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The THX Ultras are only a 12" driver and have similar specs (for just one unit).

I'd like to know what they're doing with their DSP and how the heck they keep port noise quiet enough with such a small port. I would bet good money they're implementing an EQ that changes based on volume - like reducing LF extension as the volume increases. And that super flat frequency response has gotta be a product of the DSP too....hopefully no compromises were made to achieve such a nice graph.

For $1750 you could still build a better performer in a smaller cabinet, but it definetly looks like a legit performer.

how the heck they keep port noise quiet enough with such a small port.

Not that your points are not valid, but I'm not sure I'd call it a

"small" port given it looks to be about 12x4"....... which is actually

pretty big for an enclosure with a single 12". Are my eyes

failing me?[;)]

12x4 looks to be the flared mouth size....I dunno, more like 8x2 on the inside? A 12x4 port would need to be 4 feet long (actually longer because the port itself takes up volume too) - and even with a 12x4 port you're pushing the air velocity threshold (at maxSPL).

Out of a non scientific, my playing arounf with winisd and such. I

think that 15 inches are the optimal size for the depth and loudness.

Most 18 inch woofers are just too demanding of a huge box and to port it is even harder.

12 inches get good size but they are ported and to be ported deep they need space

15 inches gets inbetween most cases.

this is a non scientific my opinion. Who cares is there is a rsw 18

coming out soon if a 15 inch can do the job in a small package. Yeah

sure the 18 can go louder and deeper but like cars are you really going

to use 100% of the engine and that 200 mph really necessary when a

corvette can go 180 and is like 4 times cheaper?

Paul,

Relax,you are posting too much hype now,this subwoofer in no way eats a HGS18.The tried tested and true SVS Ultra powered by a 1000W RMS power amp does not eat an HGS18.And same with the Axiom,the HGS18 is a cleaner more refined sub,no9 matter what you may post here.

I heard the smaller btother of the Axiom you talk about(SAME WOOFER in a smaller cabinet powered by a sliglthy less powerful amp of the same design).OK and it is one hell of a sub,competes directly with the SVS Ultra/HSU VTF3 and the best subs using a 12" woofer.

Now you have much more subs to hear and to OWN before making statements like in your post "subject".

BTW I will after I get(pay)my three tube amps buy three to four massive subs next year,including this one.(one HSU VTF3HO/Turbo,SVS PB2-Ultra,and two to decide upon).I like to have all good subs in my collection [:D]

So again,this sub is VERY VERY potent and among the finest under $2000,but in no way bests a HGS18 or a DD18.NO WAY,ok.

I have many,many subs and many units over 2 grand and heard all that there is to hear.FYI I spend 10-15 hours each week testing and listening to audio gear.Ok,comprende? I am not impressed easy,and there is no best of the best that beats all commers in each test.

Well to be honest theres one sub that will be better than the AX is definitive tech Trinity Signature sub,Nice and tight how i like it and DEEPP !And yes this one by far will Eat the hgs18 for just a snack.LOL

Paul,

Hype, stop posting hype.The HGS18 is cleaner,distorts less and in a league above the Axiom.Unless you value BOOM LOUD BOUM BOUM [:P]

What is better a Dynaudio Contour 1.1 or a Klipsch RB25 ? When quality is paramount the answer is too easy,when loudness is the answer is also easy.I value QUALITY over quantity.And the same applies to the HGS18 over your Axiom [:D]

Quality would be a crazy IB!

You mean 25 litres of displacement crazy?

http://photobucket.com/albums/y290/cecaa850/

That's what cracks me up about these posts. If any sub should move the entire house , this one should, but that's not the case. People tend to get carried away when they hear a truly good sub and the house moving, slab cracking, wall crumbling, paint peeling posts come out. I'm sure the ep600 is a fine sub for the money, but I wouldn't fear for the integrity of my house unless I lived with Malabu Barbie.

For me the best I've ever heard and/or used in my own system were a

pair of BassMaxx B1 18" bass horns loaded with McCauley 6174 subs.

Yes, they were large (48" wide by 22.5" high by 48" deep) and

heavy at over 240 lbs each. The upside was a sensitivity of 110dB,

responce of 20Hz to 90Hz. +-5dB and max

output of 135dB. They were very quick and musical but at the same time

could literally shake the house. No they were never intended for home

theater use. They were developed for concert sound reinforcement, theme

park applications and dance clubs. The only reason I no longer use them

is to keep my wife. Have to admit she was good about them for several

years until we remodeled.

You mean 25 litres of displacement crazy?

To put that into perspective for those who missed it, a SVS Plus driver

displaces about 2 litres... so you'd need about 12 tubes to match

Carl's displacement... or 6 PB12/2 Plus.

I've got 16 litres of displacement going into mine... but my room is

also quite a bit smaller. I'll be starting a thread on it's

construction in the coming weeks.

Obviously an IB will dig deeper and therefore requires more displacement...

ROb

CECAA850,

Exactly,the first time anyone hears a sub they prefer they thibnk it is a giant killer. And all of a sudden the whole house is moved...true if anyone lives in the house made of cards.

I just finished listening to a few tracks with plenty of deep bass...my HGS18 is one heck of a sub.Any subs that eats it must be quite huge and have large teeth. [:)]