New record for 1980 Heresy on eBay?

Corvette6769

"I'm checking into that, where is exactly where you are? Stephen"

strange english for someone in NC

With bids coming in that high, I'd have a very hard time with my vocabulary also..... prolly something closer to speechless.

Vette6769 ; He bought those '80's in '78? hmmmm, maybe that's why the bidding's so high. [;)]

Took me a minute, but then I figured out your question.

I am not the seller in the above auction (forgot to put the standard disclaimer in my original post - I am in no way connected to the seller "myjoann" ).

Same as here, my eBay user name is Corvette6769 and while I have bought well over 1000 items through eBay over the last 8 years, I have never been an eBay seller.

To answer your question, I am in Illinois and I live in a van down by the river.

;)

I'm very skeptical of the bids on this. The high bidder has NINE bids in a row, the next-highest being $395. Given the way proxy bidding works, I don't even know how this is possible. Smells like shill bidding, to me.

I'm very skeptical of the bids on this. The high bidder has NINE bids in a row, the next-highest being $395. Given the way proxy bidding works, I don't even know how this is possible. Smells like shill bidding, to me.

Actually, how this happens is the reserve must have been a "conservative" $800.00 and the bidder stepped it up until the reserve was met.

No shill bidding since the bidder's first bid exceeded the next highest bid - his 8 additional bids were to reach the reserve. Only a fool would shill bid his own auction to gain additional final value fees.

Corvette6769 wrote:

Actually, how this happens is the reserve must have been a "conservative" $800.00 and the bidder stepped it up until the reserve was met. No shill bidding since the bidder's first bid exceeded the next highest bid - his 8 additional bids were to reach the reserve. Only a fool would shill bid his own auction to gain additional final value fees.

Ah yes, the reserve! Forgot about that possibility. I'd look for retractions...

(BTW, there are LOTS of fools on eBay... ;^)

MC wrote: "And those don't even look like Klipsch Risers. Arent' H risers like 7/8" high in back? " And aren't they usually on the BOTTOM??

His last reply was "risers are not made by Klipsch but are identical as I built them out of raw birch wood exactly like the speaker cabinets."

First of all they they must have shrunk in the wash because the risers pictured are smaller than my Heresy slant base risers which measure .768" rear and 2.435" in the front.

Perhaps when he hung them on the to dry they stretched to 3 times the .738" thickness of the cabinet plywood.

My question is where did he go to buy the "raw birch wood exactly like the speaker cabinets", how did he hide the end plys, and why would he then make the risers look like pine boards that are a completely different color and grain than the cabinets they "match exactly"?

Yeh,

I thought that looked odd, too. The reserve at 800 would explain that and also assuming the buyer was not savvy.

It could also be that the buyer was a shill, somehow hoping to get the bidding up to meet the reserve. Maybe that is the most likely scenario.

Who knows. I'm a practitioner of two of the worlds oldest religions... cynicism and skepticism.

Apparently raised a few eyebrows - 1188 page views.

Now watch this seller start bidding $600-700 on every pair of Heresys he sees on eBay, thinking he can easily re-sell them for $800. After he purchases a couple pair of $300.00 heresy's for $700 + shipping, his profit will turn to pain the same way looking the rabbit card will do a novice Poker player.

I love the way these sellers throw the "as new" comment into their auctions. I've got a pair of '76 Heresys, and my labels don't look like a cat clawed and pee'd on them. Maybe Klipsch was having a rodent infestation at the time, and set a few cats loose in their warehouse.