Center for KG4's

Chris91

I have a home theater setup anchored by KG 4s. I have had the KG4s since the late eightys and I love them. I recently set up a home theater using SC-1 and SS-1s. The amp is a Yamaha HTR-5280 purducing 100w per channel. I choose the surround speakers from Klipsch's website recommendation chart which I can no longer find. Does anyone know if it still exists and if so where do I find it? My main question is the center speaker, I am a little dissappointed in its performance. It seems a little subdued and not quite as clear and crisp I would like. Does anyone have a recommendation for a different model that matches tonally(?) with the KG 4s and the SS-1s? Thanks in advance for the feedback. How did we ever make make informed decisions before these forums were available?

Oh yeah one other thing. I just upgraded to HDTV. My TV, Sony XBR 34" CRT, has only one HDMI input. My amp obviously doesn't handle HDMI but with I would like to also upgrade my DVD to one that handles this type of connection. Is there anything out there that will allow you to manage more than one HDMI (or DVI) output device when you have only one input on your TV. I know some amps will now do this but they are expensive and out of my budget for now. Thanks agian.

Newbie,

Chris

Austin, TX

If you have the room and the ability the best choice would be another KG4. Not always possible due to space and wives. Next in line would be one of the centers designed for the KG line....the models escape me now...perhaps KVsomething. Others will chime in here and help you.

Welcome to the forum. Stick around for lots of good info. Find a 2nd job you are going to need the extra cash for you money pit, er home theater.

Good Luck!

welcome to the madness Chris.

THe KG4's are a good starter Klipsch speaker. Glad you like them. There will be more in your future, just look at my sig line. I started with a single pair of Cornwalls like 4 years ago.

You can go up on the menu to Products, discontinued, and type in KG4, look up the specs and there will be a table with the most correct center (per Klipsch) for that speaker. Or just use the SEARCH for KG4 and see what's been said about them. There's been a lot of talk about this speaker lately.

Michael

"Then center speaker that will work best for you is the KV 4."

Wrong, wrong, wrong! The KV-4 is mated to the Epic Series Line (CF-1, CF-2, CF-3, & CF-4) and will NOT match the KG4's in any shape or form.

The CORRECT center channel for the KG4's in the KG 2.2V or the latter KG 2.5V, the KV-2 or 3 is workable but the KG series center is the BEST choice.

Don't be doling out bad info people.

I've used the KV-2 (OK) and the KV-3 (better) with the KG-4 and they were fine. I eventually sold these when I upgraded to Forte IIs and went with a synergy set-up for HT and use the Forts for 2 channel only now.

Personally I have not found a center speaker I've liked much. I'm using an SC-1 now with SB-2 mains. All the Klipsch centers in the entry level line-up I think are unimpressive. Wife and I always ask each other during movies: "what did he say". Only when the movie soundtrack is a particularly good recording do the voices boom in. I even boosted the center output on my amp. Don't get me wrong, the center's I've used aren't bad--just acceptable and unimpressive.

I would really like to hear the Reference line. But then, we would be doling out more cash on this endless hobby:)

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chris...welcome to the forum.

I opted for the KV3 with my set up, reason being, I didn't have the space for another KG4. Ideally that is the best center channel. I read in other threads that the KV2 was good but the KV3 was much better, and that the KV4 wasn't very impressive. That said, I went for the KV3's....

Go with a Academy a great match and you won't be dissaponted. It has punch, it is the best center channel for your system. I see them on Audiogon.com from time to time; you can also post it wanted, on AG or look on ebay. I have one and it was great with my Klipsch Heritage. Now I have Tractrix's Horn's it's not a match. I might be interested in selling it, the color is black, contact me if your interested.

Hemihorn