A horn siren......

Speedball

In my house I occupy the bedroom on the top floor and I often have to walk downstairs to the basement when that roomate gets a call... I've been wondering what else I can do to get his attention instead of going downstairs every time... and BAM! the chrysler air raid siren. This bad boy ought'a do the job [;)] don't you think?

Ranjith

Siren day is the first Wednesday of every month at 9AM.

Make no mistake, those things are loud. Bone conduction will get to you even if you are wearing ear protection.

If you are stupid enough to answer the phone at 8AM on siren day, my friends will drag you around to a different siren location every month. They sound interesting while the whole thing rotates, and when the chopper free-wheels to a halt at the end of the test.

The electronic ones are boring, but voice is loud enough to make your teeth rattle.

Years ago my late uncle told me about the Chrysler Bell Victory siren which was mounted on top of the RCA building during WW2. (same siren) During a test procedure with ideal conditions it was said to be heard 50 miles away, fortunately it was never used under wartime/seige conditions.........

http://www.victorysiren.com/x/index.htm

This is a link to a very old horn type siren, supposedly the loudest ever made. Just something a little different for a change. Powered by a 180 H.P. motor and the thing is six feet tall. Can you say, where are the earplugs?

BTW. I notice after my 6th or 7th visit to the web page.... there are exactly zero women in any of the pictures.

Suppose the interest in these old relics is limited to one gender. Not a surprise, though.

Some of you might remember me mentioning this before, but just south of Picayune, MS is a NASA facility where they test the Space Shuttle's main engines. It's also the place that all of the Apollo engines were test fired. In order to determine "hot spots" (atmospheric caused concentrations of sounds kinda like a room node) they use a huge - and I mean HUGE - exponential horn to blast tones in certain directions. The azimuth is determined by weather ballons sent up carrying weather transponders that send info back to computers that model where and what intensity these "nodes" will be. The purpose is to predict potential damge that might occur during engine test firing due to the intense low frequency energy generated by the engines. During test firing of the Apollo stage one engines, there were documented cases where windows were shattered in buildings in Mobile, AL. That's a distance of over 100 miles. LOL....there were some local farmers that tried to sue NASA claiming the engine test firings were making their cattle sterile. Some of the old guys I worked with at Stennis Space center use to say it was more like the cows were saying, "Who can f*ck with all that noise going on." LOL....(sorry for the crude language). Anyhow..........

I can't remember specific numbers, but the horn has a single compression driver that's driven by compressed air around 3000psi. I'm fairly certain the guys told me that they could dial it down to 8Hz, but most test tones were in the 15 to 18Hz range. I wish I could remember or find the horn's dimensions, but the mouth was like 16 feet or so wide. I don't recall what sound pressure level it could develop, but I can tell you that if you were within 100 yards when it went off and you weren't expecting it, you'd crap your pants! I should've paid more attention and learned more about that horn, but at the time I was a 20 year old college summer intern more concerned with the female units running around than some dang horn.

Tom

That horn had a 12' square mouth, was made from 1/2" plate, with stiffening ribs.

It was written up in the JAES. Used a 4" coil on the throttle valve, and a 100W amplifier. The pressure was no where near 3000psi, it was a low pressure, high volume device.

The self-noise was only about 30dB down, IOW it made about 120dB of noise with no signal!

The JAES had pictures of structural damage done in test with this device.

You can download from JAES for $5 or so.

But at a measley 138dB it isn't the loudest horn system out there....

One that comes to mind is installed below this fountain thing in Michigan (I wanna say Grand Haven or around there). It plays music that has to shoot across a big river and still be loud and full range - those bass horns are pumping over 145dB at "normal" listening levels. (and there are signs and fences and warning bells all over the place to keep people away from the bass of this fountain...at least the side shooting out over the river).