Which Sub?

J Tanman

I am in the market for a new subwoofer. Currently I have the Velodyne CT 120 which is quite good, but I'm looking for something better. I've pretty much narrowed it down to two choices, the Sunfire Mark II and the SVS Ultra (SVS was suggested on this forum). No doubt, the SVS Ultra probably is the "best" sub out there, but it is quite frankly "huge" for me and my living quarters. It is about as big as my KLF 20s, whereas the sunfire is extremely small (11" cubed). Would I be disappointed in going with the Sunfire over the SVS? I realize this is a Klipsch forum, but from reading it seems many of you own and use these subs. Thanks for any suggestions.

Now we are talking!

Surprise surprise I have the whole Sunfire line and had the SVS Ultras on test last week.

If you want big,clean output and can fit the cylinder near a wall(corner not recomended)and get the Samson 1000 then the SVS is the way to go.Did I say the punch is great.

Now if you want a easy to hide sub,with huge punch for its tiny size(no other compact sub gives you this much sub bass,not even the Velo HGS-10)the Mark II is the only choice.

I dont know much about your sub budget but I would get a Sunfire Signature(for HT it eats the velo HGS-12).

This sub is only a bit larger and GIVES an impact that makes the Paradigm Servo-15 run for cover.

In my HT I use all four(including the Carver Knight Shadow...BARGAIN).

Know the Sunfire subs have to be cut low(not over 80Hz,and I cut them lower)to give their best.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks for the suggestions. It's nice to get feedback from someone who owns/uses them. Needless to say, if ever I have another subwoofer question, its gonna be directed at you, after all, you own all the good onescwm16.gif I think I will get the SVS Ultra because I want a great HT sub as well as a very musical sub. From what I read, it seems the SVS is more musical than the Sunfire, but I know eventually I will have to own both of them. I'll just create another system for the other sub.

The EAR says,

If you want big,clean output and can fit the cylinder near a wall(corner not recomended)and get the Samson 1000 then the SVS is the way to go.Did I say the punch is great.

I'm just curious why you say not to put the SVS in the corner?

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KG4 Surrounds

Klipsch KSB 1.1 Front Effects

Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

ART 351 Eq.

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

From the SVS website on the SVS Ultra sub: "Expect twice the performance of the standard twin 20-39PC package performance down low (a whopping 7.5dBs at 20Hz!)." So from this it seems that one SVS Ultra plays as good as four standard 20-39 subs. Is this true? With as good as the 20-39 subs seem to be themselves, the Ultras must be absolutely astounding. My main concerns are with the lack of auto on/off switch and lack of phase adjustment (0-180) with the Samson amp (as opposed to a built in amp). I'm trying to convince myself that it is no big deal. What can I say, I guess I'm too lazy. I need to just get up, turn it on and leave it on.

quote:

I'm just curious why you say not to put the SVS in the corner?

Yeah me too, almost evrything I have ever heard is to put a sub in a corner. or atleast make sure you test it there....

is it because these are so strong? From my last post earlier, I am considering the SVS20-39 sub. Just kind of figured it would go in the corner behind my KLF-20. You know hide it from my 9month old son.

Matt

------------------

"The Legends Continue!"

Craig I prefer the more even bass of a sub placed close to a wall.I have tried many subs and owm a good many and all sound best overall away from corners.

All my subs are along the wall,close to corners but not in corners.SVS,Sunfire and others say it clear,when a sub is corner loaded it will have the most output.Its correct.

Its just that along side the wall the subs have a more even response.By even I mean even when I move the bass is there.Corner loading may be add a few good dB's in one spot and in another the bass is weak.

For the record I own there subs...

Sunfire Junior(HT)

Sunfire Mark II(HT)

Sunfire Sugnature(HT)

Carver Knight Shadow(HT)

Revel B15(HT)

Aerial Acoustics SW12(music system)

Velodyne HGS-18(new addition! Smile.gif )(HT)

Klipsch KSW12(computer)

Klispch KSW15(computer)

You may say "TheEAR(s) is crazy" and you would be right,I am crazy.belive me the HT impact is SUN like LOL The bass is so efortless so deep it can be scary.

Oh and I tried these at home...

REL Q200E

REL Q100

Paradigm PS800

Paradigm PS1000

Paradigm PW2200

Paradigm Servo-15

SVS Ultras(2 subs,I used my Carver TFM-75 to power them)

Klipsch LF-10

Polk Audio 650

Polk Audio(dont even remember the model?!)

Velodyne HGS-10

Velodyne HGS-12

HSU VTF10

HSU cylinder TN(damn I dont even remember the model!)

M&K 700

M&K 100

M&K 350 THX

and some lesser "subs"...

many other in soundrooms

Whew,that is some serious sub woofing.

All worked best along the wall,IMO alongside the wall gives best even bass.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

>>>From the SVS website on the SVS Ultra sub: "Expect twice the performance of the standard twin 20-39PC package performance down low (a whopping 7.5dBs at 20Hz!)." So from this it seems that one SVS Ultra plays as good as four standard 20-39 subs. Is this true?<<<

No. It appears as if the website wording is a little confusing. We're trying to say a CS_Ultra PACKAGE(dual woofs/S1000) will give you about 7.5dB more clean output down low(in the 16-30hz range).

So...a single CS_U would have about the same clean lowend output as twin 20-39s(PC or CS).

>>> With as good as the 20-39 subs seem to be themselves, the Ultras must be absolutely astounding. My main concerns are with the lack of auto on/off switch and lack of phase adjustment (0-180) with the Samson amp (as opposed to a built in amp). I'm trying to convince myself that it is no big deal. What can I say, I guess I'm too lazy. I need to just get up, turn it on and leave it on.<<<

You can always go 0/180 phase by reversing the wires going to the binding post of the sub. Continuous can't hurt...but I think a simple 0/180 adjustment usually gets you 99% of the way *home*.

I have X-10 remote off/on stuff for most of my HT...its easy to setup and cheap.

TV

X10 rocks!!! It is really cool too :-) You can get a basic home automation starter kit for ~$50 and then a heavy duty appliance module for another $20 or so.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R Main)

Heresys (L/R Surrounds)

RC-3

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

HT Room now X10 Controlled

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC