Ridiculous, but serious low bass

Klipschguy

My wife went to the store yesterday and happened to buy some Frankenberry cerial for the kids. Anyway, the cerial came with a free Halloween effects CD, and my daughter ripped it off the box and said "Dad, put this on your stereo!!" I obliged.

Anyway, I put on one of the spooky sound effects tracks. There was some serious, LOW bass content, especially some borderline infrasonic gutteral sound that sounded like an alligator mating call. My woofers were about to jump out of their boxes. My daughter paid my system a good compliment when she exclaimed "Dad! The whole floor is shaking!!!" Indeed it was.

Ridiculous regards,

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 10-14-2001 at 04:44 PM

Go to : http://theimaginaryworld.com/cbarch.html

Mention cereal box music and I just have to relate. Let me tell you about the Archies and Super Sugar Crisps. Prior to that time the dismal music at my house suffered from the Technicolor sound of Hollywood's big musicals. South Pacific, My Fair Lady and the Sound of Music reigned on our good stereo (the one that had a separate speaker off the side and could play five black analogue discs at once).

And then I was saved. Saved by a cardboard box with a funny black target etched on the back. Super Sugar Crisp. I am certain of the name. For this was the brand that saved me. I ate the cereal as fast as the threat of corporeal punishment would allow. I am not even sure if we were allowed to eat sugary cereal every day. Not because it wasn't good for us, but because it was so expensive. So it may have taken weeks to clean that box out, but I do remember cleaning it out and carefully cutting the small record off the back.

What I heard was more than just music. It was an event. Ours was a house where the kids did not have radios or music of their own. The sound of the Archies singing "ah, honey, honey, sugar, sugar, you are my candy girl and you got me wanting you" brought my brothers and sisters down the stairs in a rush. The basement family room instantly transformed into a dance hall and the celebration was on. For here was music that prepubescent teenagers and budding siblings could listen and dance to. Here was music for us. It was an epiphany for the Flood family children.

I found out that other kids knew about fun music. That many, if not most, of the other kids had their own radios. And those radios had stations just for kids. Stations that played our music. Songs that filled us and moved us, educated us and gave us words to live by.

Shortly after my coming into the musical age, I began selling Christmas cards along my paper route to save up for a radio and a friend of the family blessed me with my new religion. The religion of discovery. She gave me some albums for which she had no taste. These precious gems opened up my ears to the greater world of music, the world beyond the narrow teachings of the nuns and the radicalism of thoughts beyond the borders of my school, city and state.

For the distasteful discs she benevolently discarded upon a thirsty 10 year old were the kind of controversial creations that stir men's souls. She left priceless classics like The Door's Waiting for the Sun, The Ballad of the Green Berets, and yes, even the initial album of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young was too extreme for her middle stream sensibilities.

Her careless wastes were the first jewels of my audio journey. A travel that has brought me here; one that began with "Sugar, Sugar" on a cereal box.

Is this a great country, or what!

------------------

horns & subs; lights out & tubes glowing

This message has been edited by Colin on 10-15-2001 at 03:17 PM

Thanks Dean,

I just laughed my head off when I read your comment: "this could be the future, official Klipsch web site test CD." Could a joint General Mills, Klipsch venture be on the horizon? Imagine the mighty Klipschorns coming with a Gold Reference Official Frankenberry Test CD.

LOL.

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 10-15-2001 at 08:15 PM

I can agree with Colin in principle, at least in some ways.

The parents home stereo was a nice introduction to music. Perhaps the same type of 1960's set up. A G.E. unit with FM stereo, a changer, and movable wing type speakers.

I still listen to some of the parent's tunes on CD. I would by no means make light of the nature of the music. It would have been nice, in retrospect, if the parents grooved to their own favorite music, perhaps saying, I really like this, maybe you can too.

A gold mine for me was when the college radio station was throwing away the classical collection. Naturally I glomed on to them. It renewed my interest in the classics. Now lifelong.

I note that there is more potential for generational overlap these days in the long endurance of so called classic rock, classical, and jazz. I don't quite get all of the latter, but I can appreciate it. Same might be said of country western.

Thinking about it, rock in the late 60's and 70's were not the cup of tea for parents. It created a bit of a generation gap. Too bad.

Whatever the circumstances, it is heartening to read that different generations can share an interest in music.

Regards,

Gil

Gil brings up a good point. Growing up in the 60's and 70's brought about a huge change in music. I can remember we had a console stereo w/TV in it and thought it was the greatest! Smile.gif My Mom really liked the Platters and the Beach Boys whereas my Dad listened to a lot of Opera and Classical. He also happened to love the Moody Blues, Simon and Garfunkel, CSN&Y and Neil Diamond. I am a huge fan of all 4 due to my Dad's listening habits and am very thankful. My musical tastes have changed over the years and I now lean towards folk rock and jazz. But there will always be a soft spot for the music that was playing in our house when I was growing up.

I can remember hanging out at the Malt Shop in the early 70's and hearing Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky", Vanity Fair's "Hitching a Ride", Hamilton, Joe, Frank and Reynold's "Don't Pull your Love" and Don Mclean's "American Pie". Those songs started me on my way to musical bliss. The first time I heard Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water", I knew Rock and Roll was going to be in my blood forever. When Grand Funk Railroad did "We're an American Band", I knew this was going to be an obsession for me and it has lasted the better part of 30 years. I think I played BTO's "Not Fragile" every day after school for an entire year! Biggrin.gif

To me, music stirs the soul! And well recorded music is just icing on the cake. Like most of you, I can sit in front of my big old horns (to paraphrase Colin) and listen all day to the music I love. I can get goosebumps from hearing stuff thet really moves me (Soundtrack to Dances with Wolves by John Barry) and feel really blessed to be able to get lost inside it. I think I would feel really empty inside if music were not a part of my life. I'm sure many of you feel the same way...

Long live Klipsch,

Mike

Thanks for your post Mike, and reminding me of another great artist. John Barry.

I had a funny experience. I was listening to soundtracks over many decades. I liked, James Bond, liked, A Lion in Winter, Born Free, Dances with Wolves (Sleeping with Foxes) etc,

The same might be said of Beethoveen, the intricacises of Bach, and many others.

But there is a larger issue.

People who like music tend to be open to new music even outside the initial experience. I think we're seeing this in the thread.

Everyone doesn't have to like everything first time around. Takes some listening.

I'm pretty much a hard core engineer and don't put much stock in psychobable. None the less, there is some great merit to music in helping us think more rationally in objective ways an also in subjective ways.

I'll go out on a limb. In some of this. Like in a recent popular movie, "I hear people thinking."

Same with you?

Gil