Well...you'all really have been busy,lookin good.I just thought I'd

mention when you get to the tape/bed part you can buy a powder type

mud.You can get it at HD etc..and it comes in 20/45/90/120 minute

drying time.Just put as much as needed in a 5gal bucket,mix with water

to normal mud consistancy.This is just like drywall compound except you

can tape/bed finish in one day if you need to.Anywho disregard if you

already know or have a few days to wait on mud to dry.Keep up the good

work.

Thanks Fish for the suggestion. I have seen the stuff but it never clicked. I am going to go by Lowes on the way home and pick some of it up. I like saving time especially since I am in my 4th month of this project. I really can't wait to finish. Even though I say this weekend for completion it probably be the following week since I don't know if my acoustic fabric will get here by this weekend...will see

scooter

Hi Scooter - Looks nice, and is very similar to what I plan to do. I'll be building a false wall across the front of my HT room to mount a 110x60 perforated screen behind which I can place my Academy and Forte center speakers (using Forte for multi-channel music, Academy for video music). I also may be placing screen panels at the ends to cover my Chorus speakers (with room for future KHorns). I'll be interested in seeing how you build those doors for your LaScala's.

With the width of the screen, I may just put the Chorus at each side of the screen, behind the screen itself. I'll have to play with that to see if there's enough separation, and if that works well for music also.

Will you be using GOM fabric for the doors?

Also, do you find that having the speakers facing straight out works better than toeing them in?

Doug

Well...you'all really have been busy,lookin good.I just thought I'd mention when you get to the tape/bed part you can buy a powder type mud.You can get it at HD etc..and it comes in 20/45/90/120 minute drying time.Just put as much as needed in a 5gal bucket,mix with water to normal mud consistancy.This is just like drywall compound except you can tape/bed finish in one day if you need to.Anywho disregard if you already know or have a few days to wait on mud to dry.Keep up the good work.

Stage looks awesome - very impressive with a great sense of style. Love the curves etc. Does the pic deceive or is the stage not connected to the ceiling?Are you running power into the stage?

BTW, the taping mud, Fish is referring to, has several benefits (Just wrapping up an 18 month kitchen expansion /living room dining room remodel and have been using this mud). According to several of the drywall contractors I talked to, it is better than the premixed with wall movement thereby reducing the chance of cracks - also forms a stonger joint. The downside - IT DOES SETUP QUICK - I recommend using the 90 or 45 . It requires very clean containers - any residue left WILL impact a new batch causing it to cure quicker - NOT GOOD. As it starts to set - you can work it with the trowel to smooth it out which is good because it is MUCH harder to sand once cured.

Best of luck it looks great!

Doug Asked

"Also, do you find that having the speakers facing straight out works better than toeing them in?"

Currently my screen is 106" diag but will be replaced by a 60"x120" diy screen and out of this size I will end up with a screen around 130"diag.

If you look close the riser the La Scalas will sit on are toed in the front 20 degrees, perfect for my listening pleasure.

Mark,

I have power behind the stage for lighting and subs. The bottom of the stage is floating and not connected to the wall. However, the top is connected to the ceiling as is the screen frame. I thought about having the whole stage completly floating but in the end I compromised because of stability issues.

Also behinde the stage I have used about 200 sqft of R19 insulation to help cut down on vibrations.

scooter

Scooter......my wife asked me to send you a message. She said to tell you that SHE HATES YOU!!!! [;)]

After seeing these pictures, I started looking at my stage design and she walked in on me thinking out loud. I told her about your design and she says, "Jeezus Tom, we just got this room finished and you're already thinking about changing something!!?? I'm about to kick your butt and this scooter guy will be next!!" LOL.......

Seriously though, it looks very, very nice scooter. I really wanted to do a curved front edge on my stage, but just didn't know how to make it happen. In hindsight, if I had designed the stage such that the arc of the front was greater (i.e. larger radius), then bending a thin sheet of wood would've been possible.

What did you use for the front face of the stage? And what do you plan to use to cover the stage flooring?

BTW, check out the black marine grade carpet at Lowe's. That's what I used for my front wall.

I humbly bow to your work sir.

Tom

LOL...Your so funny Tom

I like your HT so don't even go there.

Here is what I did to get the arch. I first made a basic box (riser)12'w x 3'd using 2x10x12 boards and 1" MDF. Then in the front I started dead center and came out 12" and from there left to right I went to a 11", 10", 8", 6", and then a 4" all have an 8 degree cut so the bend would be easy. For the bottom curve I used 1/4" Luan wood 11" high. Started in the middle and just bent it around, very easy bend. The bottom is being carpeted in a rock gray, very nice.

For the top curve I did the same thing except I used 1/4" thick sheetrock, it also bends pretty good. To finish the edges I used flexible plastic thingies that allowas you to do a curve on sheetrock.

I'll post some pics of where I am with the stage tonight. I'm about 75% done not counting painting and carpet.

scooter