Spectrum Analyzer Results & Jeff's Take on the US Tax System!

meagain

Quick question. I unscrewed the bass bin door but it seems pretty stuck on there. I see a bit of almost what might be a black gasket? I don't want to hurt anything. Should I gently try to pry it off? I'd love to see what's inside but don't want to ruin anything. The wires obviously connect to this door and I assume more wires are on the inside of it. Advice?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question. I unscrewed the bass bin door but it seems pretty stuck on there. I see a bit of almost what might be a black gasket? I don't want to hurt anything. Should I gently try to pry it off? I'd love to see what's inside but don't want to ruin anything. The wires obviously connect to this door and I assume more wires are on the inside of it. Advice?

Gasket does get sticky with time - be gentle and pry.

Darn. All those screws undone. I guess I'll just assume everything's fine in there.

All the wires are done perfectly. My only gripe is the right speaker wire connections. I don't approve at all how he hooked them up. Also he didn't tighten them all down like I would have. IDK if what I see is enough to make the right one messed up.

He's insisting on mono'ing one speaker with one crossover and testing it again for a before/after comp. Can't hurt I guess. Might be interesting. Will test the left one first.

Edit: Mark - you think I should open the door then? It'll be ok?

Darn. All those screws undone. I guess I'll just assume everything's fine in there.

All the wires are done perfectly. My only gripe is the right speaker wire connections. I don't approve at all how he hooked them up. Also he didn't tighten them all down like I would have. IDK if what I see is enough to make the right one messed up.

He's insisting on mono'ing one speaker with one crossover and testing it again for a before/after comp. Can't hurt I guess. Might be interesting. Will test the left one first.

Edit: Mark - you think I should open the door then? It'll be ok?

Yes, it's okay, but not necessary - unless you wanna look inside just because.

:) I did it. Very very cool. Woofer looks brand new. Guess it should for being sealed up like that in it's on sarcophagus(sp). The rim of the woofer said k33? And the main part said k33 e. Not sure what that means. These sure were kept nice all these years.

Going to put in the new x-overs now & take a pick of the old for kicks and post it.

Meg....Give the door a good pull you wont hurt anything. If that wonte help a butter knife slipped between gasket and bass bin will help unseal the door. Dont snag your finger nails. Its rare but some times some one at the factory gets sloppy..But like i said its rare. Check every thing else FIRST..

http://www.studioprojects.com/pdf/b1.pdf

The frequency response shown is greatly smoothed, I'm sure. Also, a directional mic such as the B1 will roll off much more steeply than shown when used for distance micing, due to the techniques used to render the capsule directional. The inaccuracy is only shown to be worse when you look at the polar response. The frequency response is much different from the rear than the front.

Lots of good points and warnings in this thread, but I still wonder why anyone is poring over the results.

M, my comments were not jabs at all, maybe a bit matter-of-fact, but certainly not jabs. As Dean said, I do respect the effort but take the criticism of the methods as they were meant (in a constructive way) and realize their limitations.

Meg ....Good for you its nice to get familiar with every thing about the bass bin inside and out. ....What ever you do dont pull the woofer out. keep your sharp finger nails away from the paper woofer cone. Just look at the wireing & check polarity.....Red is + black is - Inside and outside of door.

Ben - I know & appreciate the criticism. Just thought it would be fun to see a before/after albeit flawed. We're hopeing to do a proper test with proper gear very soon.

Maron - Yes, as soon as I cracked the bass door, hubby yelled "don't touch the paper!". (I knew that [;)] )

Here's my old crossover for giggles.

post-20189-13819278800422_thumb.jpg