Spectrum Analyzer Results & Jeff's Take on the US Tax System!

meagain

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[:D] OK, mind you - this is just preliminary. Put new x-over in Left and I'm doing an A/B deal as equally as possible. But right now, it's..... SIGNIFICANT!

I'm listening to David Sylvian 'Secrets of the Beehive' Track: Orpheus. Beautiful album.

Darkly beautiful. Deep tones, etc.

New x-over speaker: Warm, richer, solid-er, 'come sit by the fire & have hot cocoa cuz it's all good' type of feel, bigger in a good way, comfy, deep. During a dead quiet 'hear a pin drop part' WAY less hiss.

Old x-over speaker: Tinny, shallower, detached in an atmosphere not mine, something's 'separate' about it, noisier, more sibilance, echo-y/hall-like/arena-ish, harsher, colder, uncomfy and foreign.

Switch to new x-over: tears welling up. Old: Trouble in River City.

I have to run downstairs & get hubby. He's exercising. (sigh)

I have to try something more lively, bright, with high end & lots of stuff. I'm thinking a good perky XTC - thinking 'Nonsuch'. They tend to be well recorded.

Disclaimer! I hesitate for now cuz my 2 speaks originally have different numbers (see first post) and not a good test - but rest assured I'll be switching over! Oh boy.

What timing! Excellent! Glad to hear it. Did you or did you not say they're both switched?

If you got all the difference in the world, congrats!

.......... and keep the amp and don't buy the EQ. $$$$$ [:D]

And try some Steely Dan off "Aja." I think you said you had it. Talk about sounding good through those speaks.... Reeeeeeeeeeeeeel Gooooooood!!!!

BTW: Now, we know who does all the work around there!

Hiss and sibilance are not created or amplified in a crossover. If they are present in the signal and one crossover passes them through and the other does not, that indicates those highs and other highs are not making through the crossover.

Bob Crites

[:D] OK, mind you - this is just preliminary. Put new x-over in Left and I'm doing an A/B deal as equally as possible. But right now, it's..... SIGNIFICANT!

I'm listening to David Sylvian 'Secrets of the Beehive' Track: Orpheus. Beautiful album.

Darkly beautiful. Deep tones, etc.

New x-over speaker: Warm, richer, solid-er, 'come sit by the fire & have hot cocoa cuz it's all good' type of feel, bigger in a good way, comfy, deep. During a dead quiet 'hear a pin drop part' WAY less hiss.

Old x-over speaker: Tinny, shallower, detached in an atmosphere not mine, something's 'separate' about it, noisier, more sibilance, echo-y/hall-like/arena-ish, harsher, colder, uncomfy and foreign.

Switch to new x-over: tears welling up. Old: Trouble in River City.

I have to run downstairs & get hubby. He's exercising. (sigh)

I have to try something more lively, bright, with high end & lots of stuff. I'm thinking a good perky XTC - thinking 'Nonsuch'. They tend to be well recorded.

Disclaimer! I hesitate for now cuz my 2 speaks originally have different numbers (see first post) and not a good test - but rest assured I'll be switching over! Oh boy.

XTC - TRY Apples and Venus Vol 1 or 2 - both are excellent!!!! and as they say....you go girl!

The hiss on this recording is still there. Just lessened to me. Course it might be just the right speaker. Hubby listened to the same stuff I did and he's not getting it. He's also complaining that we aren't doing a fast enough a/b test. It's mere seconds.

Now he's going to rip some CD's into his laptop and set something up to do a 'better' a/b.

I thought it sounded alot! better and can't fathom how he doesn't hear it. He kept asking me to describe it and I refused so I didn't taint his judgement. He finally said it was richer sounding. We're going to move the xover to the other speaker.

"Less hiss and less sibilance in the rebuilt one would make me want to test the caps that Rick put in that one."

Bob, If we had more time, I'd tell you the tale of "Jack and the Magic Capacitor". Since we don't I'll summorize it with "Fee fie fo fum, these capacitors smell YUM!!!"[:D]

Rick