HT project 97.35% complete

Tom Adams

This is looking towards the back of the room. There's a media rack over in the back corner that's just begging to be filled. The projector is a Panasonic AE900U and we still need to do some work hiding the cables for a more "stealth" look. That big fat Audio Quest multicable bundle isn't very attractive. This projector (my first) is IMHO AWESOME! I had Audio-Video Warehouse do the installation (figuring they do this more than I) and the installer said that it was the nicest unit out of the box that he's installed. AVW does't sell this projector but instead carries Hitachi, Marantz, and Yamaha. The owner now plans to carry this projector based on his installer's comments about the image quality. Anyhow, I'm happier than a pig in sh*t with it. [:D]

post-4338-13819278931976_thumb.jpg

This is another shot from a seating perspective. That blue looking thing to the lower left is the box for a remote dimmer to control the rope lights under the toe kick of the stage. I'll have 3 IR dimmers (Luton Spacer System) that will be controlled via a Harmony 880 that AVW is programming for me. Push one button and it'll be lights, camera, action! [Y]

The screen (a Carada 100" diag) will get "framed" by some custom made curtains and hopefully that'll be next month.

post-4338-1381927893735_thumb.jpg

Lastly, the business end of things. From top to bottom: Mitsubishi digital S-VHS VCR, Denon 3910, B&K Ref. 50 S2, Belkin power conditioner/surge protector, Parasound Halo A23, Parasound Halo A52.

Oh...speakers are Cornwalls (vert. horn) for R&L mains, Heresy I's for surround, Heresy II for center channel (with custom made slant riser), and the weak link in the system.....a KSW-15 (so I can relate scooter [;)] ).

post-4338-1381927894159_thumb.jpg

Tom,

That room looks awesome! I really like the molding and wide chair rails, adds a real touch of class. Is that a heater in the back up top? That's one thing I need to add as it can get a bit chilly in the basement sometimes. Your colors are alo really close to what I used in my HT.

Great job!

Now the fun starts as you get to decorate and bring it to life.

scooter

So really you're like 60% done, lol

As far as hiding the cables going to your projector...I usually run them up the pipe that the projector is hanging from. You might need to temporarily detach the mounting bracket at the top to get your fat wire through. Is the mounting bracket in the cieling, or visible from the outside?

That really looks great Tom... even at 97%. The finishing

looks very meticulous, without any overlooked corners. The

seating will really push it over the top.

That blue looking thing to the lower left is

the box for a remote dimmer to control the rope lights under the toe

kick of the stage. I'll have 3 IR dimmers (Luton Spacer System)

Three dimmers? Where will the other 2 be?

I was wondering about those "Spacer" dimmers... how well the

capture IR signals. My room entrance (and lighting swithches) are

over 15' behind my seating area... so the only way I can controlling

several "zones" from my chair would be to install a "remote master

controller SPS-5WCR" up front like you seem to be doing and a series of

multiganged dimmers out back..

I'm wiring so now is the time to plan ahead... so I'm curious...

ROb

Thanks for the kind words guys. It's been a really long haul (almost 2 years), but we feel that taking our time planning, buying things (cash) a little at a time, and asking a lot of questions helped make the room truly ours. And for the record - this forum has been an invaluable source of info.

DrWho - That's an excellent idea!! Thanks!! [Y] It will require me having to "cap off" the electrical box in the ceiling that the cable presently comes through, but that shouldn't be a problem. And I know there's plenty of cable slack.

Scooter - That box thing you see is called a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim. In a nutshell, it's a compact self-contained heat pump. You can get more info here: http://www.mrslim.com/Products/Category.asp?ProductCategoryID=7

The thing works like a champ. My unit is 15,000 BTU's and it'll flat cool or heat my 15' x 28' room in no time.

Formica - From the info I've gotten from Lutron, the dimmer at the front of the room and the two dimmers at the back of the room can be controlled from one remote as long as the remote has sufficient IR "scatter". To accomplish what I want, I'll be installing an IR repeater system so that the dimmers and projector and A/V equipment all get triggered. Hope that makes sense. Oh - and the guy I spoke to at Lutron said that the codes for the IR dimmers can be obtained from Remote Central.com

Tom

... the dimmer at the front of the room and the

two dimmers at the back of the room can be controlled from one remote as long as the remote has sufficient IR "scatter". To accomplish what I want, I'll be installing an IR repeater system

That's the piece of the puzzle I was missing.... but I'm not sure

if I should thank you or hate you, as I now have one more thing to shop

for. [:P]

While on the subject, are you going for a wired IR extender... and

where will you place the rear emitter (for those lights)?

ROb

... the dimmer at the front of the room and the two dimmers at the back of the room can be controlled from one remote as long as the remote has sufficient IR "scatter". To accomplish what I want, I'll be installing an IR repeater system

That's the piece of the puzzle I was missing.... but I'm not sure if I should thank you or hate you, as I now have one more thing to shop for. [:P]

While on the subject, are you going for a wired IR extender... and where will you place the rear emitter (for those lights)?

ROb

I know what you mean.....I've hated a few folks on this forum too. LOL...[;)] [:P] [:)]

I think the plan is to use a wired IR system. When the cabling was run (during house construction) for the speakers, we ran a cable for the center channel that had 4 conductors. The thought was that just in case we decided to do a wired IR system, that we could use one of the conductors for the IR eye. So what I think will happen is that there will be an IR eye just below the screen which will transmitt the signal to the emmitters in the rack, the projector (an Audio Quest multi-cable was pulled to the projector), and the dimmers in the back. The dimmer in the front will get its signal directly from the remote which will be pointed at the screen anyhow.

I'm getting my dimmers from these guys: www.lightsonbroadway.net They're the cheapest at $58.50/dimmer (SPS-600) and free shipping.

Hope this helps.......

you spend more money. BUWHAHAHAHA.........[6]

Tom

Tom

Room looks great, you have done a very nice job. What is the offcial name of the top/blue/gray color. I like it.

Are you ready for this????

It's Laura Ashley Chimney Sweep gray and it's an eggshell finish. [:)]

Oh - and thanks for the kind words. FWIW, I've been tempted all week to call in sick and spend a whole day watching the entire 'Band Of Brothers' series. [:)]

Tom

Tom,

I just stumbled into the Architectural section by accident and I'm glad I did!!! What a SWEET room. Your description of it when you were over a few weeks ago didn't do it justice.

Looking at where you have the Cornwalls and the Heresy center, it is just visually perfect. You should be getting a lot of bass reinforcement from those corners. I'm not sure why you would think it is lacking at all. Have you checked the bass response around the room while running a tone sweep?

Can't wait to come over for a movie!

Chris