Updgrading receiver (Yamaha to Denon). What will I notice?

atomicskiier01

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I haven't. There is a long story why I have two subs. The bottom line was when I put the RSW -15 behind me without the RSW 12 in front, the sound was directional. Adding the RSW-12 really balanced it out and sounds incredible. They are positioned at right angles of each other (one on side wall facing in, the other on the rear wall): The pics are in the photo section.

TDKAmerica...how do you like that 4802? it must crush..one day i'll have one...Monty

My Denon AVR-4802-R THX Ultra II receiver is awesome. I've owned it for over 2 years and have never had a problem with it. It allows you to have 2 sets of side surrounds which is a cool feature for speaker aficionados. I run my "A" surround, RF-3's for multichannel audio and add my "B" surround RS-7's for DVD movies in a quasi-9.2 scenario. [:o]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, guys, I'm about to remodel my family room and will be upgrading to separates. I've bought a Sunfire 7x200 amp and will be ordering a Sunfire TGIV soon as well.

I'll be selling my very clean and beloved Denon AVR-4800 which includes original packaging, owners manual, remote control, etc.

Checking Ebay, they've gone as high as $600 for really clean ones (mine is), but seem to average around $375.

If anyone is interested in buying mine, please let me know. I'll let it go for $350, buyer pays the shipping.

Best regards,

Chris

Just got an email from another forum member. Sounds like $325 is the current price on the forum, so I'll adjust mine down a bit to match.

I won't be selling this until we actually gut the room (which won't be too long from now) but I was just curious if I need to start thinking about Ebay.

BTW, also to go is the Synergy line KSW-12 which I'll let go for $175 plus shipping. I'll be upgrading to either a Danley or the new 12d due out in March.

Thanks, guys --

Chris

That is a great reciever. Actually one of the only reciever that actual produces more power than what it is rated at.

As for the yamaha to denon differnce I don't think it is worth the money. I have ran many differnt receivers over the years with RF3II's. You best option is to get a seperate amp and hook that up. That is a night and day differnce. Even if it is only for the front two speakers. It frees so much more juice up for the rest. If your yamaha has pre-outs get a amp. You will never look back and you will never thank me so much. It is that big of a differnce even at lower volumes.

The crossover setting is something you have to adjust for your room. Every room has a little differnt need. I feed everything to mine, No cross over setting. I have also set them at 40 and it sounded real good that way as well. But I am running some real big ss amps for the main and I pick up a lot more bass that way.

That is a great reciever. Actually one of the only reciever that actual produces more power than what it is rated at.

As for the yamaha to denon differnce I don't think it is worth the money. I have ran many differnt receivers over the years with RF3II's. You best option is to get a seperate amp and hook that up. That is a night and day differnce. Even if it is only for the front two speakers. It frees so much more juice up for the rest. If your yamaha has pre-outs get a amp. You will never look back and you will never thank me so much. It is that big of a differnce even at lower volumes.

The crossover setting is something you have to adjust for your room. Every room has a little differnt need. I feed everything to mine, No cross over setting. I have also set them at 40 and it sounded real good that way as well. But I am running some real big ss amps for the main and I pick up a lot more bass that way.

agreed, nice post

That is a great reciever. Actually one

of the only reciever that actual produces more power than what it is

rated at.

As for the yamaha to denon differnce I don't think it

is worth the money. I have ran many differnt receivers over the

years with RF3II's. You best option is to get a seperate amp and

hook that up. That is a night and day differnce. Even if it

is only for the front two speakers. It frees so much more juice

up for the rest. If your yamaha has pre-outs get a amp. You

will never look back and you will never thank me so much. It is

that big of a differnce even at lower volumes.

The crossover

setting is something you have to adjust for your room. Every room

has a little differnt need. I feed everything to mine, No cross

over setting. I have also set them at 40 and it sounded real good

that way as well. But I am running some real big ss amps for the

main and I pick up a lot more bass that way.

Thanks for the tips, and I was just thinking about this the other

day. It sounds like the amp will really make a huge

difference. Can you guys point me in the right direction as I

know nothing about amplifiers? My Yamaha has pre-outs and I will

be running 7.1.

Sounds like I need to do some investigating, even though I probably

couldn't afford something like this right now. Thanks for the tips!!!

My receiver is rated at 110 x 7, I believe, so would a 125 x 7

amplifier make a huge difference simply becuase the signal would be

amplified much better than my receiver does, or would I need to jump up

to something like 200 x 7 to get that night and day difference?

travisc wrote the following post at 01-09-2006 5:36 PM:

"oh and the 40hz crossover is too low, it has been recomended to go one octave above your speakers abilities. Set at 80. remember that a crossover is gradualy sloping and your speakers will be going below 80hz.

buy two used crown amps for your front end use your yamaha to run the rears, extra money use towards a second sub. Thats the direction I would go"

I agree. A great powerful amp will do more to liven up the speakers than anything else IMO.