Heresies or RB series for small system?

rplace

I have been kicking around the idea of throwing together a small system at work. I am fortunate in that I do 90% of my consulting work for one company and every employee/consultant gets their own office. This just seems like a good place to listen to music since I spend so much of my time there.

Source would be all digital (CDs and computer files). Volume would be pretty low as not to disturb "the neighbors" but from time to time when a project is due a few of us work pretty late so cranking the tunes is not out of the question.

I have an older decent preamp/tuner laying around doing nothing. I picked up a Sonic Impact t-amp on a lark. What I am lacking is speakers. Naturally I was thinking heritage and naturally the size leads to heresies. However I have never head anything in the reference line...and would like to.

Anybody out there have an opinion on some of the bookshelf reference speakers compared to heresies?

I think the Heresy sounds sweet. But if you end up wanting a pair of RB 35s, I have a pair that is practically new purchased last summer from an authorized dealer.

Someone is liable to bash my head in but here it goes. I just put together a "small" system for 2 channel listening for practically the same use as you just described. I was in Tweeter and they are selling Polk T90 for $350 a pair. They are the Euro version of the Monitor 60. Now, I LOVE Klipsch ok, but the price point being what it was, I had to give them a listen. I listened in Tweeter and said, ok, WTH, I'll take 'em. I set them up in the computer room with an Adcom GFA 545 II, Carver pre-amp and an old Technics CD changer and I must say I'm impressed. I was so impressed that I'm now wondering what they are going to sound like with a really nice source. From what I gathered over on the Polk forum, these speakers do very well on tubes as well. For what you looking to do, I would consider them. They can be found at Tweeter.com and the shipping is free.

So I branched out a little!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can get a great deal, especially from a forum member, that's awesome. On purely acoustic grounds, however, let me weigh in on the side of the RB-75. Those are truly awesome bookshelf speakers. They produce more bass than the RB-35s, but more importantly they have the professional 1.75" tweater that the RF-7s use, which gives them a much smoother high end.

Ihave only heard old Hereseys (which were themselves nice), so I can't really compare A/B, but the RB-75s are the best bookshelf speakers I've heard apart form B&Ks high end stuff.

Whichever way you go, good luck and enjoy!

This really is going to be a budget system and RB-75s are out of the question. I have plenty of high quality listening to do on my khorns and Forte IIs. I was thinking RB-25 or even smaller (RB-5, RB-15??) not really sure of the numbers/specs with out looking as I am not well versed in the reference line. That is a good part of my interest in considering RB over Heresy....not having heard any of them personally my curiosity is up.

Who is close to Baltimore with RF-7s? I would really like to hear a good 2 channel system with those.

rplace,

You would be getting a great speaker, and a good deal with ws RB35's! They would make a

super small system really sing! They will provide great sound, and not take up the space that

a pair of Heresys would! The 35's will give you the sound and power you need !

I have a pair of RB 15's that are quite impressive for what is there. I have not used them in a 2 Ch setting as you describe, they were just used as temp surrounds for a while. But I must admit for a small speaker they did pretty well. I am probably going to set them up in my garage eventually if my Maw in Law does not lay claim to them for ambiance speakers for her living room. I once made the offer to her and she has yet to act. Anyway my point is the small Reference are quite nice especially for a rig as you propose. IMO Heresy's would be overkill just like RB 75's would be.

I would vote against using the heresies as a nearfield, low level speaker...they sound disconnected and lifeless in that kind of situation. Remember that thread about colter and his dahlquists sounding better than heresies and KG4's in his office?

If you wanted to stick with klipsch then I'd go with the RB lineup and I wouldn't go any smaller than the 35...especially if you listen to any music with bass in it. But I've always felt that the RB lineup does better with more mid-field listening (like greater than 6-10 feet away).

If your situation allows this then great, if not then I would seriously recommend looking into the promedia lineup. When listening at near field, I would describe the promedias as sounding very much like the Chorus II at far field (I was able to do a direct AB comparison). The only problem is you really can't blast the crap out of the promedias (then again, the RB series doesn't sound too pleasant at loud volumes either).

I know this is complete blasphemy, but you might consider looking into an old pair of 1970's Marantz bookshelf speakers. The ones I'm thinking of have a hexagon shaped aluminum trim around the big woofer and are usually 2 and 3 way designs. I have a pair of the matching floorstanding 940's. But pretty much anything with a direct radiator is probably going to sound better at nearfield (especially if you're going for something more on the cheap side).