From LaScala to Quartets??

sunprairie

Ok, here's crazy one. I scored a beautiful set of 1990, OO, Quartets at a second hand store yesterday. Wasn't in the market, but the price was just to good and they're immaculate. I'm running LaScala mains, Heresy Center, Quartet surrounds, and RC-7 rear right now and got thinking, since this system is mismatched and I'm not really happy with the dialog @ center, maybe I should buy one more set of Quartets and run them all the way around. They really are a nice little speaker. I would then sell my LaScala's, Heresy, RC-7, and buy another set and have money left over for more toys. How badly would I miss the LaScalas versus having a completely matched system??

Can't give you any direct advice since I have not had any of the speakers you currently have except Heresy.

I did however use Chorus/Forte/Chorus as my front 3 and really really liked it. I would expect similar delight with Quartet/Quartet/Quartet up front since C/F/Q are all in the same family. All the better if you had them for surrounds as well, epically if you are into multichannel music over movies. Can't tell from your post if you picked up a 2nd set of Qs yesterday or if you only have one.

I would think LaScala mains with a heresy center would be a decent match timbre wise. What don't you like about the Heresy center? I would also expect LS mains with Heresies for every other speaker would be a killer sounding system.

This will sound blasphemous to many here, but try a Quartet as your

center.between the LaScalas. My original set up was Fortes front

and rear with a Quartet at center. Wanting to experience other heritage

speakers (caused solely by reading this forum), I bought a pair of

Belles (nearly identical voice as LSs) last fall, and of course

put them in as the front L&R. I am doing the reverse of your plan,

from Forte/Quartet to classic heritage. Not having Heresys nor

any capability to put anything larger over my TV such as a Cornwall, I

have left the Quartet where it is for now. I am surprised at how well

it blends with the Belles, for both movies as well as music, and that

includes some DD 5.1 mixes from DVD-As and DualDiscs. I do not notice

any timbre shift when sounds pan left to center to right. The Q will

have more bass extension than a Heresy, so it may serve you

better as a center. I took the riser off, and while still

larger (~50 lbs) than most dedicated center speakers, I managed to get

it on top of my RPTV. The hardest part was removing the badge

from the grill so I could center it in the horizontal mode. I

don't know what set up I will end up with, as I am convinced that the

Forte/Quartet combination is among the best HT set ups available, short

of a massive Heritage HT all around which would not be possible for

many rooms. But, I do like those Belles, and because they are no longer

made, I will keep them for a while at least. It is worth experimenting

a little, just don't throw your back out lifting the Q to your

TV. Also, keep in mind that if you go to an all Q system, you could end up

wanting the rare and costly Academy center.

Timbre match on the Heresy to the LaScala is very good, but we struggle with dialog at center. Maybe the Heresy needs to have some work done to it, like upgraded crossover? I should mention it's a Heresy II. I did pick up a second set of Q's yesterday so I now have two very nice sets.

I know it's blasphemous, but just wanted some outside opinions. If I had room for another LaScala @ center, I think I'd resolve my dialog issues, but alas, short of room for that. I've got my Heresy standing vertically over my RPTV rather than horizontal and I like the sound dispersion better. It would be no problem to put a Q in that position. My thoughts are that 6 Q's would make a nice solid all around HT without the restrictions of size. My listening is about 90% movies or concert DVD and maybe 10% music listening. I actually bought the Q's with the intention of selling them, but after hooking them up to a reciever in another room and spending the evening listening to music, and it's going to be hard to let them go.

Neither option is really bad. Six Quartets would make a very fine home theater. I think redoing the caps in your Heresys would improve your center channel experience with it, but then you still have the surround issue to deal with if you want to get really matched. I think if I were in your shoes I'd get the third set of Quartets, sell the RC-7, and move the La Scalas someplace for music.

How do you have your Heresy atop the TV, tweeter on top or woofer on top? Try flipping it and see what you think if you have not already done that. I would suspect it would sound best with the tweeter down (speaker upside down)

EDIT: I agree with Olorin about getting another set of Qs and move the LS to another location then dump the rest.

Haven't totally made up my mind yet, but I'm running OO 89' LaScalas with Bob C.'s new AA/A crossovers. Had the crossovers in since October. I'll let everyone know hear when I and if I pull the pin on them. By the way, I live in ND, so shipping is always a consideration would love to sell them to someone that would pick them up. They are a beautiful set sonically as well as visually.

I'm sorry the speaker type says:

LS BLS-WAL (Walnut I assume.)

Before you start swapping and selling speakers, especially the La Scalas! (Man are you crazy?) maybe you should look at the rest of your system. The Heresy should deliver very clear, precise dialogue. If it doesn't, then there's something wrong somewhere. Maybe your speaker is faulty or more likely the rest of your system, or even your room and speaker placement needs some work. What is the setting of your processor? Maybe you need to upgrade your receiver first...

I may either have a speaker problem or processor setting issue. I don't know. I am running a McIntosh MHT 200 reciever and believe that it's a very good piece of equipment, but may have some settings that are causing these issues. It just seems that no matter how many times I reset my speaker levels with an SPL, the LaScalas have a tendency to overun the center. I've run an RC-7 at center, had a set of Chorus II and ran 1 at center, and have always wanted to try the Academy, but have not had success in purchasing one for what I would like to pay for one. I'm crossing @ 80hz in the processor and have tried other settings as well and noticed subtle differences, but not overwhelmingly better or worse. I may also be struggling with a room issue. The room is 16 deep from RPTV to back wall and about 22' side to side, however one side has a wall and the other side is totally open into an office area and dining area that is about the same size. I'm thinking of building a wall on the one open end. I'm not sure that I'm explaining things well enough on the dialog. I'm not sure that clarity is as much the problem as the center being overun and maybe this is due to the schematics of the room itself. I previously ran a Denon 4802 before the McIntosh and dealt with the same issues. I'm just tired of having people over to watch a movie and hear, wow, great sound, but I had a hard time hearing the speaking voices. Should I be thinking of running my center hotter than the other speakers, but then what is the purpose of the SPL measurements. I have never run a level disc, but only pink noise from my receivers, maybe I need to be going farther on my level settings.

I've never leveled mine by any method other than listening and deciding what I like. Interestingly enough, I always end up within a db or two of the efficiency difference between the two speakers. I don't know the numbers right off the top of my head, but why don't you try something quick and dirty like setting the Scalas to (say) -4 and the Heresy to +2/3 and see what you think?

I run Heresys for my sides and rears with my Khorn mains. Not a problem. The Quartet is a great speaker.

Dialing in the different DB's is no real problem with Heritage.

96 to 104 no problem. Just get a rat shack DB meter and run test

tones. On my Lexicon it takes 5 mins to set up my whole system.

JM

Ok, here's crazy one. I scored a beautiful set of 1990, OO, Quartets at a second hand store yesterday. Wasn't in the market, but the price was just to good and they're immaculate. I'm running LaScala mains, Heresy Center, Quartet surrounds, and RC-7 rear right now and got thinking, since this system is mismatched and I'm not really happy with the dialog @ center, maybe I should buy one more set of Quartets and run them all the way around. They really are a nice little speaker. I would then sell my LaScala's, Heresy, RC-7, and buy another set and have money left over for more toys. How badly would I miss the LaScalas versus having a completely matched system??

I had Quartets at one time,nice set of speakers sound a little better than forte ,but if your selling the lascalas you might be sorry later.i woudnt sell lascalas to replace Quartets.