Klipsch Recommendations?

tubenube

I'm seeking a more efficient speaker for my Decware Select SET amp/Conrad Johnson preamp (w/ Ah Tjoeb CD & Oracle TT as sources) combo. As I research the possibilities (based on budget/space) I seem to be getting 'Klipsch fever'. Vintage Klipsch that is...

The living/listening room is about 12X24 so unfortunately Klipschorns & Belles are simply too physically big (and expensive) so I'm limited to a LaScala, Cornwall, Heresy sized footprint.

What would the Klipsch experts recommend for a 12X20 room in a small condo with neighbors to each side? I listen to mostly jazz, classical & female vocalists with some 'lite' Rock & Roll thrown in for good measure(Beatles, Lyle Lovett, Paul Simon, etc.). OK, sometimes I get into a Techno mood too Smile.gif

and if anyone just happens to have the aforementioned recommended speakers for sale I'd certainly would like to discuss possibly acquiring them (I live in Austin TX).

thanks!

This message has been edited by tubenube on 10-16-2001 at 05:01 PM

boy, that was quick - welcome, I think that you will love jazz on tubes and big old horns!

you are in good company here: mobile is here, Tom Brennan too -

did you check the Klipsch product page for their classics?

Also, you should be aware that some of the insane posters in this asylum troll through ebay ads looking for Klipsch deals, every once in awhile they will post a notice here if something looks good, so you may want to keep an eye on the activity here with the link for Today's Active Topics. A quick click on that link will show you if anybody has posted a topic about a hot deal -

the first thing the posters here will ask if is you have heard any of the Klipsch Reference series?

but I would also ask; have you heard any of the classic big old horns?

are you using the long wall or the short wall as your "front" wall?

do you have a sub?

what tubes does the DEC SET use-how much power are we talking?

do you have stands?

are you planning on HT or multi-channel sound soon, or in the near future?

what if, after you buy the speakers, you find that they need a crossover upgrade - is that in the budget?

------------------

HORNS & subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!

Thanks for the response.

No, I haven't heard any of the new 'reference' speakers. I considered them but I can't help but think Klipsch faces the same market pressures as other (speaker) manufacturers, e.g. I might be wrong but if they are anything like JBL I'd rather recone my L-100's than replace them with their new models.

Currently I'm using the 'short' wall behind my 2 chan gear (speakers 'firing' down the long dimension). I have a (Dahlquist 400w 12") sub but it's currently used in my HT system which is on the opposite end of the room, the other 'short' wall. The speakers I'm looking for now will be purely dedicated to 2 channel audio (see system description above).

The DEC SET amp puts out a decent 5 w/chann using a 5U4 tube rectifier and 6N1P input tubes. It's a FAST amp, well respected for its fidelity among the SET community. There is the possibility I will add another and monoblock the pair. You can read about the Zen SET amp here:

http://www.decware.com/se84cs.htm

I don't have any stands per se. I have heard it helps to 'tilt' them back a bit to get the long waves up off the floor (true?). I can do that easily (or obtain up some 'riser' stands if necessary). By the same token, if I can improve their sound appreciably by upgrading Xovers I will of course do so (eventually). That is, my budget is 'restrained' only by the initial investment (and not what I might want/require later down the line).

First, I'd note that a 12 X 24 room is not too small for Belles or HKorns - several of the posters here use them in MUCH smaller rooms than that. If you mean they won't fit in the room the way the room is furnished, that's a different story, but the room itself is plenty large enough.

Also, note that the La Scala and Cornwall are not really any smaller than the Belle, so if she won't fit, neither will they. Of the "Heritage" line, only the Heresy is significantly smaller.

What are you using with the Decware amp now?

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray: Yep, I was referring to their physical size. However you are indeed correct (and I've just discovered via the Klipsch product info web pages) in that the Cornwalls/LaScalas aren't that much physically smaller than Khorns or Belles. Unfortunately (for me) they are apparently at least 2X in price. They ARE beautiful tho, compared to the typical 'box speaker' look of cornwalls or the 'industrial stage' look of LaScalas. Check these out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1285576044

Another thing I have to consider (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that as corner only horns, Khorns & Belles resonating the walls would probably not please my condo neighbors. I'm already in 'trouble' after adding a 400w sub to my HT system Wink.gif

Right now I'm using JBL L-100's. They're ALMOST there efficency-wise but alas, the JBL's need much more oomph to really sing than the poor lil Zen can crank out.

This message has been edited by tubenube on 10-18-2001 at 01:18 AM

Only the Klipsch Cornerhorn requires corner placement. Belles, La Scalas and Cornwalls work well out of the corner.

Most of the time, it is deep bass that will transmit through walls and disturb neighbors. Neither the Belle nor the La Scala offer much bass below 50 Hz, so you may have no problems with those. Cornwalls are likely to be more problematic.

Jeez, guy, if you're driving Century 100's with that Decware, and you're even halfway happy, you're gonna be jumping up and down with this HUGE grin on your face when you hook up ANYthing from the Klipsch Heritage line...

I'm surprized the Decware hasn't blown up. The L-100's may be (on paper) quite sensitive speakers, but they sucked a TON of amps in portions of the bass.

What color are your grills?

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Wellcome Tubenude,

As has been stated by others earlier, your room is not really too small for any of the Klipsch heritage speakers. I have a pair of K-horns in a similarly sized room and they sound awesome. I don't even have them tight in the corners, I have them angled out toward the listening position more (I did try to seal the bass bin with some 3/4" MDF).

------------------

Ed W

Ray: They WERE the brown foam grills until they started crumbling apart. Radio Shack used to carry some foam grill material that could almost be considered a direct replacement except it was black. Anyway, so now my JBL grills are black Wink.gif

Yep.. the poor lil Zen tries but just can't feed those 'black holes' the watts they need. So I quit trying and thus the search for some Klipsch. I knew better because for years the only thing that would make the JBL's happy was a (200 w/chan) Carver M400t. But boy do they sound nice if you have some good clean wattage.

Tuber-Nuber ... I've got pretty much all the Heritage line at home, save the LaScalas ... The Khorns are beautiful but HUGE ... and they WILL transmit bass waves into your neighbor's master bedroom (which is not bad if she's a babe and lives alone) ... The Belle is nice (those Ebay's are REALLY nice ... don't see the '60's vintages EVER ... if you can handle the price and shipping, go for it) but for your environment, I'd go Cornwalls. They are not as bass-oriented as the Belle or Khorn, but they sound nice. With the sub across the room, it will fill out nicely and the neighbors will be cool. That would be my choice ... you amp will love you for all the rest it gets!

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Tubenube,

If it helps any, I've got LaScalas in a much smaller room than yours. My room is only 10.5 feet wide and 21 long (if that sounds like a converted single-car garage, you're right) and they're on the narrow wall. My music tastes are very similar to yours - almost identical. I absolutely love my LaScalas! I had RB-5's and they're a fantastic speaker for the size. I've also got Heresy II's, which I love. But, neither is as open yet tight and percussive as the LaScalas. I got mine used for about a grand, but they can be had cheaper. DougDrake recently missed a pair in our local paper for much less!

If you like the LaScalas, then you'll love the Klipschorns. More bucks, but more bottom end.

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

Tubnube,

You would love the LaScalas. I'm still working on getting a pair. I currently have JBL 4311s (original fabric grills, from 1972), the 'Studio' version of the L-100s. They are only rated at 91db, and mine do quite well with big or little amps. The LS will take you were you want to be. Just think of them as headphones you sit between. Tubes are great, the "little city at night", and they help keep you warm in the winter!

Marvel

This message has been edited by Marvel on 10-18-2001 at 08:06 PM

I have La Scalas in a room even smaller than what Ross uses. It's not ideal, but I still get good sound. Heresy's are very nice speakers, but they are no match for either of the other speakers mentioned (Khorn, Belle, La Scala, Cornwall). If you don't have the corners (or the cash), then I would consider either the La Sclala or Cornwall. The Belle is supposed to be identical in performance to the La Scala, but in more of a "furniture-grade" finish. The La Scalas are easier to find and also significantly cheaper. My LS are finished and have the front grill, so they look very nice (not industrial by any means). I think they look pretty cool. So, if you can handle the size of the Cornwall or La Scala/Belle, then I would suggest you go for one of these. The La Scala may have the most imposing footprint. Both the Belle and Cornwall are wider, but neither are as deep. I personally prefer the La Scala SLIGHTLY over the Cornwall in all areas except for the deep bass. The Cornwall will go noticably deeper in bass than the LS/Belle. This of course is just my opinion.

Hi Tubenube

I've been using the little Decware se83cs with Cornwalls for a few months and I'm mostly happy with the combination (see "new cornwalls on the block" in tech questions back a few months). The amp cann't go to party level but then I can no longer reach that level either. At times I have thought a second decware amp would be good to try. I recommend you try this combination (decware and corns)very sweet, they work for me. If its not your cup of tea, then dump em. Then e-mail me if ya want to sell your amp.

Sprocket

Good to hear Sprocket.

Unfortunately I have no plans to part with my lil Zen Select (I'll just keep looking for the right speaker for it Wink.gif

Anyway, If I need party level volume I'll just crank up my JBL/Carver HT system. While I'm not satisfied with a 'girl with acoustic guitar' levels, I'm not looking for major SPL for my 2 chan system anyway (just pure fidelity at 'normal' listening).

Tubenube.

Fun times are ahead. Salivate!

I had Cornwalls 1, tweaked the hell out of them then bought a pair of la Scalas for chuckles and gloats...and kept the Scalas! "We live in the midrange"

I live in a detached house but I often marvel on stepping outside while Jimi or Ledzep are grooving as to how little tranfer of energy there is to the outside. Horns are transformers that couple to the air. You sit "in" the throat, your neighbours dont.

"A speaker is no good unless the cat can sleep in it" is an old horny saying. Cornwallers would have you fit a cat-flap!

I just heard the smaller Chorus II on my 2A3 amsp and they play great and do not take up a lot of room, you should have no trouble powering them, so I would add them to the list also ...

------------------

HORNS & subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!

If you're unable to go with the larger Klipsch Heritage series, I would not hesitate to use the Heresy. Two cautions though:

1. Use a sub with the Heresy. And not just any sub. Be sure you find a store that has several and is willing to let you take a sub home one at a time. I went through a couple different subs before finding one that sounded good with my Heresys.

2. Not sure what your used to with your current system speakers, but I have noticed that my Heresys (1981 vintage) also lack in extreme high end (only rated to 17Khz). I never noticed the lack of this extreme high end until I purchased a pair of B&W speakers (conservatively rated top end at 20Khz), and then only after I directly connected my CD player to the Receiver's digital input and added some super expensive speaker cables. Your use of the expensive high-end equipment makes me think that you may notice a shortfall there. Looking at the specs posted here on the website, I see the Heresy II is now rated at 20 Khz on top, but I haven't heard them to know if it is noticable.

A set of Chorus IIs or Forte IIs may be a good choice if you can find a good used pair.