• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm back.....

Okay, here's the verdict. [:(]

.......................................... Remarkable!!!!

Bob, did you set them up for A mode or AA mode?

The difference in the mids, and especially highs, is quite extreme. It's like I unloaded some wax from my ears. I'd swear that, as to the vocals, the soundstage has even changed. It is more centered and sort of over my head.

I'll have to get used to this (and I haven't cranked it, yet - not until BEC confirms the mode), but at low and moderate volumes it is a remarkable improvement. They make the crisp highs sound definitely in line with those 10-tweeter cone speakers.

Meagain, I'm not kidding.

If among your ailments are some low frequency (bass) issues, you still need to get BEC to re-cap them. The difference in mids and highs is very remarkable.

For starters, I can no longer turn it up as loud anymore. If I did, it would bleed my ears to death on the mids and highs. Oh, yeah! They sound good. Not harsh at all. I just think I've been missing the proper proportion between bass and mid/high and never knew it.

Here's an example from one tune I just HAD to plug in and hear right away. "The Cage" by Genesis on their Lamb Lies Down on Broadway album. Why is that song a reference to me? Not only is it one of my favorite tunes ever done, but the song is loaded with all kinds of high frequency, wicked little undertones - it really adds to the dark, sinister story that is told on the entire album.

The change in xovers really brings out the undertones well. They are so well-defined - even at higher volumes, where they used to sort of get lost and muddled.

I used to think it was just "that's what happens when it gets loud and you cover up the highs with loud, thumping bass." Well, I guess it still does that a little - but certainly alot less. And I heard more little wicked, dubbed-in effects that I never heard before. Too cool - if you're in to that kind of thing!

Anyway, you can be the judge. But I'd tell you go for it in a heartbeat. Might not solve all your problems, but the mids and highs will open up like you won't believe.

As I promised, Bob, a great big "Thank you." [:D]

P.S. My Corns, Bob. What about my Corns?

"The Cage" by Genesis on their Lamb Lies Down on Broadway album.

Hey didn't I correctly guess the lyrics to that tune over in your other thread? Congrats on the new crossovers, glad you to hear that you hear dramatic improvement. Your horns must have been kind of bass heavy prior to the new crossovers.

Glad to hear that you did not get overly bright. With as much loss in the old caps as you had, it is a testament to Bob's caps that you hear the positive aspects (detail, air) of more tweeter energy and not the negative ones (annoying bright).

I may need to try some of those caps on the path to different crossover designs.

I was not as impressed with recapping my stock designs with the Daytons or Jantzens. My room may have already been on the edge of bright , and those caps surely pushed it over the edge. Now it's L-pads, different caps, or different design....

Jeff:

""The Cage" by Genesis on their Lamb Lies Down on Broadway album. "

What an old favorite of mine! I have to ask, do names like 'Yes' 'King Crimson' and 'Gentle Giant' also ring a bell? or.........perhaps a little more obscure, 'Brand X' ? Phil Collins does some really amazing drumming with Brand X, as well as vocals too, of course.

I bet Bob's crossovers are great. Hearing your description makes me want to add the 2uf GE oil cap I have on hand, but have to tear out of another network. I should just build the crazy 3 position tweeter filter switch I've been talking about forever!

Sounds like you're having fun, and as Rick once said to me, fun is what it's all about.

Erik

Done, Bob. I'll get them to you pretty soon.

In the meantime, a few more little reviews.

"Something Coming On" on Blood, Sweat & Tears' 3rd album. The brush on the snare is so much more crisp - it actually sounds like a snare. And the tamborine sounds almost like a bunch of little bells - so crisp. If this is "bright," I like bright.

The Who's "Music Must Change." Wow! Roger Daltry's vocals get every little grit and grain coming from deep down in his throat. (Please don't make a play on this one!). And the "claps" smack in your face much better.

I really need to listen to my entire collection again, but I don't have enough time. It sure will be fun as I go. I've been missing alot.

Okay, everyone, I was wr... wr..... wro..... OKAY, I WAS WRONG, AND I ADMIT IT. So, there!

Jeff:

""The Cage" by Genesis on their Lamb Lies Down on Broadway album. "

What an old favorite of mine! I have to ask, do names like 'Yes' 'King Crimson' and 'Gentle Giant' also ring a bell? or.........perhaps a little more obscure, 'Brand X' ? Phil Collins does some really amazing drumming with Brand X, as well as vocals too, of course.

I bet Bob's crossovers are great. Hearing your description makes me want to add the 2uf GE oil cap I have on hand, but have to tear out of another network. I should just build the crazy 3 position tweeter filter switch I've been talking about forever!

Sounds like you're having fun, and as Rick once said to me, fun is what it's all about.

Erik

As a matter of fact, Erik, Yes is going on next. My favorite of theirs is Album, followed by Fragile. I don't have any of King Crimson. You'd have to tell me some names of their tunes, and I'm sure I'd recognize them right away. It might even make me go out and buy their greatest if they have one. I don't believe I can claim any familiarity with Gentle Giant or Brand 'X'. You'd have to tell me more about them.

And right after Yes will be "Return of the Giant Hogweed" - another one of my favorites by Genesis.

Interesting. Jeff - you still had the bass right? And the highs weren't in your face or overpowering? It's good you are saying they aren't 'bright'. That would be bad.

Jeff - Were you drinking tonight or anything I should know about? You sure about all this?

I swear it all! No drugs. No drinking. I honestly saw the box and asked myself "If these don't make a difference, how am I going to put it politely?" Glad we're not going there.

Now, if these are too bright, I like too bright. There's nothing more I can say about that for now. Definitely, some of those loud highs get in my face. I think it was intended that way, because it's all in the right spots. Just so crisp!

Yep. All the bass is there - and then, a little more. I think the areas where the bass crosses into the mid are more pronounced and punchy.

Now, for more of my favorite tunes.....

"Return of the Giant Hogweed" on Genesis' Nursery Crime. That tune always had catchy fuzz effects throughout it. The fuzz is now "double-layered" deep - too cool! And I don't believe I ever really heard that tamborine before.

"Perpetual Change" on Yes's Album. Oh, what a beautiful song (I can't even say "tune" on this one). Just so beautiful - tears, man..... tears. [:'(] I gotta stop, now!

Really, Meagain. As down as I was on the idea, I confess all my sins, and I'm as sober as I can be, while still being so happy with the low-cost fixer. Not a tweak - a fixer.