I need some e-bay 101, please help

customsteve01

If any of you remember I have been looking for a pair of "beater" La Scala's for out in the barn. well I think I may have found a pair.

I do not have really any experiance with e-bay. I have only bought 2 items off e-bay ever, and I pretty much feel I got ripped off both times. There is a pair of speakers that I really want that are close to me.

I have not bidded yet and there is about 1 day 20 hours remaining. I want to know how to bid. Can't you put in a max and it will auto bid for you? I think what I need is someone to pretty much walk me thru this.

I also wanted to ask the seller a couple of questions but e-bay wont let me bacause I don't have any feedback????? I would like to know if the origanal drivers are still insalled and what cross over is installed.

I have asked some of you questions over e-mail and pm and 3dzapper believes they have "A networks".

Ok people its time to help out a buddy.

If any of you are also looking at these lets talk and find out who wants them more so we don't start a bidding war between us.

Steve

Steve,

Those look like they'll fit the bill! Sniping (bidding in the last few seconds of the auction) is how I usually bid, but not everyone is comfortable doing that. If you bid your maximum now, yes, eBay automatically raises your bid to only a minimum amount over the next highest bid. Just remember: It only matters who's the high bidder AFTER the auction closes. In some auctions, a lot of folks snipe. If I were to give advice to you at this point, I'd say to bid in the last minute, and bid your maximum. This is important: eBay will ask you to confirm your bid and possibly sign-in again, so save time for that. The first "Place Bid" button on the auction page takes you to the confirmation page. When you click THAT button, you've placed your bid. Oh, make sure your clock is sync'ed with eBay.

EDIT: The second page is where you put in the amount of your bid. Click "Continue," and you go to the "Confirm Bid" page. Click that, and you've bid. I suggest you try it now, to see for yourself how it works (just don't hit the "Confirm Bid" button).

ok, problem 2. I do not think i will be able to be at a computer when the auction closes. Can I just put in the max that I am willing to pay and let it ride, and hope for the best?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but like I said earlier I felt burned by the other items I bought and am really nervous about bidding on anything.

So if I get this right, I put in the max I want to spend and if the auction ends and I am the person with the highest amount is that what I have to pay or do I pay 5 dollars over the highest amount at the end?? did that make any sence?

Steve

Steve,

Join esnipe.com. Your first few are free. You type in the max you'll pay and it puts in your bid with 6 seconds (or whatever you choose) to go in the auction. Nothing to lose.

If you need help, call me in the morning and I'll walk you through it.

(301) 980-4074

- Gary

Steve,

Is there any chance you could go hear these speakers before bidding? I caution you against bidding much higher than the current price of $375 without checking them out first. The seller says these were used in a disco, so you can bet some of the drivers have been blown before. In my experience, most club owners will replace the drivers, especially K-33 woofers, with a cheaper alternative. If you add the price of new K-33s (shipped) to the current price, you're looking at over $600 for the speakers.

Also, even when someone tells you the tweeters are working fine, it's not unusual to find them to be blown when you get there. You're looking at $50 to $200 to repair or replace a pair of K-77s, so be careful not to bid too high without personally inspecting these speakers first.

Good luck, Rick.

I am with Gary on sniping. I use

Auctionsniper.com

LIke the one Gary uses, the first several snipes are free. This one will import your watch list from ebay for you, let you group several auctions together. Say you are interested in buying product X. and there are 20 of them listed on Ebay. You don't care which one you get, you just want one. This site will let you group them together, set a max price for each one, bid on each one until you win an auction and then will cancel the rest of the auctions so you get ONE of what you wanted.

Another advantage of using a sniping service is that you can change your mind anytime you like up until the bid goes in. Say you decide you are willing to pay $200 for product X and you think about it and really think that it is only worth $150. If you bid $200 on Ebay, you are stuck, with the service, you change your bid amount and no more than $150 will be spent. If you decide at the last minute that you don't want product X you can cancel all bids but if you bid through Ebay, you are again stuck. They are well worth the few cents they charge to snipe for you.

The seller has responded to my question. Here's what he said:

"I've checked the Tweet's and Mid's. They are K55V for the mid horn and K77 for the tweeters.

I am assuming the Low's are K33's. I've not pulled the bottom off to verify that as I have problems with my back. So... assuming that everything is original (which I believe it is) They should be the K33's. Cross-over is Klipsch Balancing Network Type AA. Also the labels on the back are intact but surprisingly reveal no serial number. They are however signed by the tech who tested them. The labels ARE original."

By the way, Cal Blacksmith's post about sniping is great. He gave a thorough description of what sounds like an excellent program. THANKS C.B.!!

Good luck, Rick.

thanks for the resposes guys. I think you have convinced me to use a snipe service. Now the only question is how much to put down.

Gary I will try and call you in the morning if thats ok. I'm guessing you will have to go back to work in the morning. I think I have the number in an old PM. If not I will shoot you an e-mail. I will be home tomorrow I don't have to go back to Houston till Wednesday. For some reson I thought the auction ended Wednesday not tomorrow.

there is really no way for me to check these out sence I can not contact the seller, pluse I would have arrange to see them before tomorrow afternoon. I guess I we weigh in what all yall said and come up with my max figure.

Maybe I will get lucky and get them for just alittle more than what they are right now.

Steve

He added the serial numbers, 16S410 and 16S411. Can someone find the S/N date sheet and tell me when these were made.

I wish Klipsch would post that list somewhere easy to find. Hint Hint Amy...[;)]
Or I guess when I find it I should download it on my computer.

Less than 7 hours to go and they are up to $406.00[:(][:|]

Steve