Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Jan. 16

thebes

Happy Martin Luther King's Day to everybody. A great day for a

great american, even if I did have to work. If you are so

inclined track down a copy of his "I Had a Dream" speech. It's

syncopated cadences of the hopes, fears and dreams of an entire people

ring out in a telling an inspiring call to justice that can't help but

raise goose bumps on your arms and a melanchology joy in your soul.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of

music as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp

etc.)

As usual I'll start it off with:

Lee Morgan, "The Sidewinder", lp, jazz. One of the most famous

album's from a famous icon of the jazz world. In discussing jazz

my unfamiliarity with the medium is telling for I completly lack the

descriptive powers necessary to describe what what I'm hearing in

translatable terms. All I can say is I like it a lot so give it a

whirl.

So what do you have to share this week.

I have another great CD to share. This one I also got for Christmas and I must say this one is another "must have" CD.

The CD was released just before Christmas and somehow my wife was able to get this one under the tree while the rest of the world was waiting for it to hit the store shelfs.

Amarantine - Enya
Audio CD - Released November 22, 2005

01 Less Than a Pearl
02 Amarantine
03 It's in the Rain
04 If I Could Be Where You Are
05 The River Sings
06 Long Long Journey
07 Sumiregusa
08 Someone Said Goodbye
09 A Moment Lost
10 Drifting
11 Amid the Falling Snow
12 Water Shows the Hidden Heart

Greg's pick: It's in the Rain

You can see the video for Amarantine by going to http://www.enya.com and clicking on the left hand side of the of the first page. More Enya video's are inside the site as well.

post-17133-13819279080616_thumb.jpg

Well since Thebes mentioned Ella Fitzgerald "Blues" last week I had to hear it. I went to my local CD store and he had to order it.

So I ended up with:

Ella Fitzgerald "Sings The George and Ira Gershwin Song Book". Music Arranged and Conducted by Nelson Riddle.

Wow she is smooth. I remember her on Ed Sullivan when I was a kid, but now that I'm as old as Ed was back then I can really appreciate this music.

It's a 4 disc set. The first 3 disc's are original and disc 4 is alternative takes, mono mix of songs on the other 3 disc's.

The sad part is I have had this since Friday and I have not heard it on my Khorns yet. I burned it to my iPod and have listened to it in the car driving to and from work or listening to it with headphones at work.

This weekend I will listen to this on my main system.

My CD store called me tonight and said Ella Sings the Blues came in today so I'll pick that up Friday.

Danny

B000003CAD.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000003CAD/qid=1137703978/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/103-6272827-9109453?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

Format : CD

Type : Ambient, uptempo, mild electronica

The Real One Player classifies it as Ambient Techno but it's not that hard club house music or that way out there funky techno. It has very soothing and sensual beats.

Or how about Jack Johnson's In Between Dreams.... This my fellow klipschers is an unbelievable CD.

B0007GAEVW.01._PE22_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007GAEVW/qid=1137711826/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-4590462-3425468?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

Easy soft accoustic music. Been on the pop radio stations. Kind of folk sounding but my goodness this is an awesom CD and listening to it on Klipsch is nothing less that pure bliss.

I have two recommendations this week:

Amelie' Soundtrack by Yann Tiersen. Delightful Francophilia, a treasury of layered, unusual instrumental textures and sounds. Really stands out on Klipsch heritage systems.

Tales From a Parallel Universe TV Miniseries soundtrack by Marty Simon. Steps way beyond the usual TV show synthesizer mill with some very inventive stuff. This music was written for the original miniseries, with the best music being in the first episode, "I Worship His Shadow." Not quite the pizzazz and funk of a feature movie soundtrack like "Fifth Element" but a great production nonetheless. Recording is transparently adequate. Apparently the composer is a one-trick pony with no other credits. Too bad.

Hi all.

Moon- Just want to throw in my two cents about the Jack Johnson

CD... One of the very best recording and mixing jobs that I've ever

heard. Can't get it out of my CD player.

My recomendation for the week is "Susie Arioli Swing Band

featuring Jordan Officer - Pennies from Heaven" Very cool swing

jazz... Old standards reworked in a new and delightful way. I

think ole Thebes would like this one.

Garth

My pick for this week:

For those of us that like to crank it up loud and do some serious headbanging....

Threshold - Hypothetical!

B00005ABLE.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is one awesome progressive metal CD by the British outfit Threshold! This is another well recorded album, with some serious, though-provoking lyrics. For those of you that like to watch a bit to much TV, check out track #2 - "Turn on, Tune in". These guys sure put together a nice tight package that is just incredible to experience on the Klipsch. Also, admittedly, that is one of the cooler album covers I've seen in awhile. It is hard to really describe the sound - I guess if you mix up Dream Theater with some Queensryche, and even throw in a bit of Supertramp for good measure (Especially track #7 - "Keep My Head" - I honostly thought it was a Supertramp cover, but think it is original).

Or how about Jack Johnson's In Between Dreams.... This my fellow klipschers is an unbelievable CD.

Easy soft accoustic music. Been on the pop radio stations. Kind of folk sounding but my goodness this is an awesom CD and listening to it on Klipsch is nothing less that pure bliss.

My reaction to Jack is "Van Morrison Wannabe" except Van Morrison is much better. I'll have to find a copy to audition, though, since there is no substitute for listening uninterrupted in one's own music lair.