RF 7 or RF 5

wstrickland1

OK, I knew this second system would get out of hand. So now I have a chance to buy NIB 7s for $1500 or NIB 5s for $1100, both from a local authorized dealer. I already have RS 7s and a RC 7 for this system powered by a Pioneer VSX 1015. What should I do? I know the 7s are power hungry. The Pioneer has the ability to use the 6th and 7th channel to bi-amp the mains. Would this help with the power requirements. Willy, can I have the Carver back?

I really enjoy the RF5's with the RS7s and am just getting the RC7 to replace the RC35 I was using. With the 5's you would have the same size woofers all around. I think the RF5 has always been overlooked as the RF7's are only a little more money. However, the 7's have always been criticized for the midrange due to dual 10". The RF5's have a VERY sweet midrange and when I compared the two felt the only "loss" in going with the 5's over the 7's was a small amount of low bass. The RF5 imaging and detail more than made up for it and I do find it interesting that NEW top of the line Reference IV's use 8" woofers. My theory is that using 3 - 8" woofers allowed Klipsch to get the midrange issue resolved AND with a change in cabinet design and third woofer - actually improve the already great bass that the RF7's had.

I run the RF5s with both vintage Mac tubes AND SS HT - and they just shine in both applications. The soundstage is awesome. If I could I'd buy more RF5's for a second system - I'd do so in a heartbeat. The 7's are great but the 5's are more accurate to my ear.

I would suggest spending the extra $400 dollars and get the RF-7s. I

used to use RF-5s as mains (now delegated to rear surrounds) until I

upgraded to RF-7s. The RF-5 is a good speaker, but the IMO RF-7 blows

it out of the water.

OK, I knew this second system would get out of hand. So now I have a chance to buy NIB 7s for $1500 or NIB 5s for $1100, both from a local authorized dealer. I already have RS 7s and a RC 7 for this system powered by a Pioneer VSX 1015. What should I do? I know the 7s are power hungry. The Pioneer has the ability to use the 6th and 7th channel to bi-amp the mains. Would this help with the power requirements. Willy, can I have the Carver back?

Should I post a link to the " Need Suggestions " thread Billy ? [8-)]

It really comes down to money and space.If you want to spend the money

and have a good size room the 7's are great.If you want to spend less

and have a mid/smaller area the 5's do a great job also.So,if money is

not the issue and you got the room I'd get 7's,tighter budget,the 5's

sound pretty good too.

I haven't had much time listening to RF-7's, but I would go so far as

to claim the RF-3II's sound better...it all comes down to that midrange

issue. Do you have the opportunity to do some comparison listening? I

think you'll find it a most subjective issue.

I would like to see some blind ABX testing though...I would anticipate

a bias towards the RF-7's when not blind due to the fact that they are

the biggest and most expensive (so one naturally expects them to sound

better).

I've never had the chance to do a side by side comparison though so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

OK I'd have to say get the 7's. I have heard the two side by side and IMO the 7's are easily the better of the 2. IMO the entire RF serices is thin in the mids but the 7's to me sounded the best of the line, fuller and more dynamic. It also comes down to what you drive them with as well..

Should I post a link to the " Need Suggestions " thread Billy ? [8-)]

a post as to whether you should give me the Carver back? Nah, I don't think I need it. I listened to them at Frawleys today with an HK 45 watt receiver and I thought they were great. I think they will be fine playing the likes of the young and the restless, Dora the Explorer and Pie Pie (as my daughter calls Popeye)........and I'm gettin the 7s......thats right Willy, I will have a complete set of shiny coned speakers, at least they will have a black dustcap on all the woofers.