1960 k-horns vs. 1972 k-horns

funkyhambone

I stand behind my comments made in your other thread. My knowledge is limited, though. As I remember, Klipsch says the KHorn was virtually unchanged since its original design in 1946, so.......

How different could they really be?

I still think it would be cool to have a pair of 50-year-old kick-butt speakers - there's just something about 50 years old that breaks past a curve of "antiqueness." Remember, this would be before ALL classic rock as we know it. Back then, we barely had "Candystore Rock" coming on the scene. It's hard to believe that there were such great home speakers back then, as speakers like that were "ahead of their time" (excepting jazz and symphony).

Pretty different actually. The 1960 version won't have the K-400 horn. It also uses a 16 ohm tweeter and a network with crossover points of 500 and 5000 as opposed to 400 and 6000. I suspect the old squawker doesn't go as low. I would go with the 72's.

i knew there was quite a bit of difference. i was concerned that the components of that age might be lacking. i am going to listen to them tomorrow where i guess that will be the only thing that matters no matter what is inside. i have listened to many a khorn but nothing that early. it should be interesting. thanks for the info.

There will be some difference,s but slight in the bass bin woofers. the top will vastly change the sound depending on drivers used. ....That being said the bass bin units before 1960 will be the most trouble some. The woofers were specially treated to achieve a low compliance free air resonence. Those units woofers may have dried out (outer corrigations) shifting free air resonence back (upwards) These should be exchanged to newer K33E woofers. The chemical used on the early outer surround is not that easy to get ahold of or easy to apply with out leaching into the rest of paper cone.

Bob, you are right. The wood midhorn(the k5 until mid '63) and tweeter had a pronounced rolloff starting between 15 to 17 khz and above. The freq response charts support this falloff, to the point that most Khorn owners in St. Louis stick their noses up at the "historical" Khorns as museum pieces.

The advantage the pre '63 Ks would offer is the lack of the screechy tweeter, due to the falloff. I feel either is a great speaker, but the '72s would be marketable to a larger number of people.