Power Cord

mdbrien

Certainly there is a very real difference in cost the user ends up paying.

In terms of sound quality: None!

There are so many other tweaks that a user can perform that will have real consequeces (e.g., careful speaker placement, moderate or more extensive room treatment, getting better recorded music, etc).

Good Luck,

-Tom

I won't spend money on powercords but I like quality no matter what part of the system it connects. I have friends that work at hospitals and I work at one and when a fancy piece of medical equipment goes to the scrap heap I try to grab the big shielded power cords. I won't tell you it makes a difference but they sure look nice.

What Seti is talking about is a Belden 13 amp 125v grey Hospital grade plug. (they will have a green dot on the male end,...the end that pulgs into the wall)

Will it sound different? No doubt this power cord will not sound different than the cord supplied with your gear,...but it also will not sound any different than the cord some poor ignorant soul paid a grand for! (See the thread on speaker wire) Perhaps the only greater scam there is in audio than megabuck speaker wire and interconnects is in power cords. With speaker wire and interconnects there are a few guidelines to follow for a given application, but for power cords the only guideline is to have one that is not damaged and look for 13amp/125volt. (which it will say on the new packaging of a Belden Hospital grade power cord) If the cord is not new just look for the "Green Dot" which is "Hospital grade."

Going to the Belden Hospital Grade power cord is strictly for durability and I have bought six or eight foot Belden Hospital grade cords for between 12 and 15 dollars new! They are VERY heavy duty and are sure to outlast most anything you can throw at it.

Regards,

If you really want to do something on the power supply side obtain a power conditioner capable of serving all of your components. A power conditioner provides a consistent level of power for your equipment whereas line power can and often does vary (regardless of which cord it traverses). Obviously when the power fails so will your equipment but did you ever wonder what happens to your sound reproduction when a low power brown out occurs? A good power conditioner will take the line electricity, massage it and redeliver it to your components in a consistent and constant manner...no power fluctuations.