Another HD DVD shocker

Larry1

Original article here

The Advanced Access Content System (AACS) is now saying all digital TV's released before/about mid 2005 will be impacted by hardware makers required to block some high-def signals from being sent from HD-DVD players to displays over analog connections. For early adopters you won't get to play 1920 x 1080 resolution, but watch a downconverted 960 x 540 signal. Ouch!

So, given all the copyright shenanigans surrounding the issue, how many early adopters are changing their minds about being early adopters?

Quite a number of my friends. There a lot of folk out there seriously thinking about buying a

expensive projector or RPT that supports 1080P to replace their older HT system but are worried about

compatibility with digital inputs such as HDMI supporting 1080P and when universal HD-DVD players will arrive.

I, for one, am not the least bit interested in going out and buying a new HD-DVD player, much less a HD-DVD player, AND a Blu-Ray Player. And normally, I'd be first in line for this. Hell, I paid over $1000 for a OTA Hi Def tuner and D-VHS a few years ago. It just goes to show you, they need to get their act(s) together.

This time I will wait...

Wait for prices to come down...

Wait for format winner...

Wait for them to make up their minds on technology...

I do wonder if there is any HT owners working for these companies....makes ya wonder....because they have no idea about the Market....and are just doing what the Studios want...

If the studios do not like it then they do not have to produce DVD for the Format....

Argggggggggggggggggg

I wish I felt like protesting would bring about change.

I think that's what people who will be waiting to spend their money will be accomplishing. It would be interesting if BOTH formats died on the vine. Unlikely, but not inconceivable given the repugnant state of things right now.

There is always that possiblilty that both formats will fade away when the new holographc HVT discs are introduced in 2007. These discs have 300 gig capacity and the followup HVX discs have over a 1000 gigs capacity. So Bluray and HD-DVD appear to be temporary interim formats.

JJK

There is always that possiblilty that both formats will fade away when the new holographc HVT discs are introduced in 2007. These discs have 300 gig capacity and the followup HVX discs have over a 1000 gigs capacity. So Bluray and HD-DVD appear to be temporary interim formats.

JJK

Hey speaking of the not too distant future, lets not forget about the "new" 4K SXRD projectors (4094 x 2160 resolution) which make 1080P look like SD. You would need your new holographic HVT media to handle this! [:D]

Can you imagine a home theater screen that is 27 feet wide, 16:9 screen where each pixel is only about the size of the letter "e" in liberty on a quarter!!! I hope all you high resolution people are salivating for this for your home. [6]

What is interesting about this is that the flag (called ICT) that triggers the downrezzing does not have to be used by the studios. So in fact if a studio does not care (or put another way supports the current installed base of analog only HDTV's) you will get HD over the component outputs. Part of the deal is that all movies that use the ICT flag must be clearly labeled. This will allow us to vote with our dollars.

Another interesting part of the spec is that while the player does have to downrez the HD signal if ICT is present, it can then turn around and upscale it back to 1080i or 720p. This feature was needed to support all the TV's that only support one timing on their HD input. Go figure.

EDIT: Let me add that since ICT is part of AACS that it affects both Hi-Def DVD formats. HD-DVD as mentioned in the thread title and Blu-Ray as well. The poster could have meant HD DVD to encompass both formats but I wanted to make that clear.

Laters,

Jeff

EDIT: Let me add that since ICT is part of AACS that it affects both Hi-Def DVD formats. HD-DVD as mentioned in the thread title and Blu-Ray as well. The poster could have meant HD DVD to encompass both formats but I wanted to make that clear.

Laters,

Jeff

That was the intent (both formats). Yeah I too like the part where you down convert from 1080P to 960 x 540 and then upscale back to 720P.