new tubes, amp noisier than before

tgourlie

So I think I can close the book on this. Today I hooked up the New Mac C2200 with the Mac MC2102, with a Mac MCD201. .............. .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I GET THE SAME NOISE!!!!! (and that was with Canton speakers, not close to the sensitivity as mine)

Does everyone's amp have this noise floor? It sounds like even with $14,800 worth of Mac equipment, it still buzzes.

Couldn't you tap into the output of that noise, take it down to line level, phase shift it out of phase and run that into the input. Then you would technically get a silent output.

"So I think I can close the book on this. Today I hooked up the New Mac C2200 with the Mac MC2102, with a Mac MCD201. .............. .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I GET THE SAME NOISE!!!!! (and that was with Canton speakers, not close to the sensitivity as mine)"

This might point to the possibility that the noise isn't on that particular stage of your system. I don't know if you have done this, but, after turning the amplifier off and letting is sit for a minute, unplug the inputs from your source/preamp. It's better to short the inputs altogether with shorting jacks, which you could make, but just check to see if the residual noise drops (or completely goes away) when a source isn't connected.

It may not be the amp.

Erik

"I have noticed that valve #1 on the preamp stage of the amp does not glow at all. No matter which tube I put into that socket. Hear is a simplified schematic of the amp."

This could be a problem. If you don't know how to check the wiring to confirm a working heater supply to that particular socket, have someone check it for you.

Erik

When I hooked up the Mac equipment, I was not at my house. I just

wanted to see if other amps, in other places, made a noise that was

similar to mine.

Thanks for all the help on this forum. Turns out I was being

really picky. [:|] I figure changing the output tubes would

affect this noise as well. Right now I have the GE6550A's.

As long as they still musically sound they way they do, I will hang on

to them.

TG

P.S. check out yo-yo ma, Edgar Meyer, Mark O'Connor: Appalachian Journey. (new post in "music/DVD)

1b sounds great.

Ditto on the question. Born2RockU had a lot of noise in his when he took his Power Conditioner out of the line. Although I don't have the noise issue and know nothing about Power Conditioners, I did get to see one in action, and it really did work.

I am surprised no one else recommended a power conditioner sooner. I thought some of you guys were experts.

kind regards

Wait a second. [:)]

You mean you had a humming noise on your system, at YOUR house, and couldn't figure it out.

Then, you went to someone else's house and heard different equipment make a similar noise.

And so.....now everything's OK????

Just want to be sure. [:D]

I never mentioned a power conditioner because 99% of the time with some care and patience the noise can be eliminated without a conditioner. I good portion of the time the reason a power conditioner quiets the noise on a system is that the user ends up plugging the entire system in a common location (the conditioner) and this is the real reason it makes a difference.

Craig

The noise is not that loud. I cannot hear it at the listening

position, unless I really listen for it. If I have my ear at the

horn I can hear it clearly. The same as the mac equipment.

The speakers I had the mac hooked up to we 88db sensitivity, I

thought the noise would have been the same volume if I hooked up my

speakers to the Mac.