Newbie question

Ilike10cc

First, why do you think these didn't sell? http://cgi.ebay.com/KLIPSCH-LA-SCALA-Speakers-Great-Sounding-Pair_W0QQitemZ5856698337QQcategoryZ61378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

How old do you think they are?

Are Khorns that much better than La Sala?

What is the best year for both and an average price for both from their respective "best" years?

I believe they are 1981. I was watching this auction (not to buy), and I thought someone would come in at the last minute to get it for the start price. Start price maybe a bit high especially when one considers a buyer has to pay sales tax which would be about ?? $85 bucks right there? Who knows. I thought they looked pretty nice.

Are you the seller?

I'm not the seller, but I thought about buying them and have exchanged emails with the seller. But reading all the posts in here about how you need a subwoofer with the La Salas, maybe it would be worth waiting on some Khorns to show up somewhere. Which raises another question, would a good subwoofer with the La Salas sound as good a Khorns?

"First, why do you think these didn't sell?"

Shipping cost, finish, price. Who knows.

"How old do you think they are?"

"Are Khorns that much better than La Sala?"

Khorns are are usually regarded as having better bass, but placement is

more critical. I guess how much better depends heavily on your personal

taste and the kind of music you listen to.

"What is the best year for both and an average price for both from their respective "best" years?"

Don't think there's a specific year that stands out. I like early to

mid 70's models, but that's my subjective opinion. Someone here bought

a pair of black LaScalas a year or two ago that were drop dead

gorgeous. Same goes for late model Khorns. Myself, I'd consider the

cost and condition ahead of the model year.

Price is harder. I've seen speakers sit on Audiogon for 2 months, then

sell for $500 more than the asking price when the seller listed them on

eBay. I don't track the average prices, but someone here may. You can

look at the completed eBay auctions to get an idea, but eBay is known

for some pretty wild price swings. Audiogon has a bluebook, but it's

subscription only (I believe).

P.S. I'll resist the urge to make sport of that account name:

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/music0_name.html

I'm not the seller, but I thought about buying them and have exchanged emails with the seller. But reading all the posts in here about how you need a subwoofer with the La Salas, maybe it would be worth waiting on some Khorns to show up somewhere. Which raises another question, would a good subwoofer with the La Salas sound as good a Khorns?

There are also a lot of posts that say you don't need a subwoofer with LaScalas. My LaScalas rock sans subwoofer. I've tried them both ways and at least with rock, they sounded better to me without a sub.

There are also a lot of posts that say you don't need a subwoofer with LaScalas. My LaScalas rock sans subwoofer. I've tried them both ways and at least with rock, they sounded better to me without a sub.

Another Urban Legend....

Unless you are a huge pipe organ listener; bass shy is an uninformed misnomer for LaScalas. Well set up corner placment gets all sorts of bass

Local sale only.

Seller does not even commit to be respnsible for packaging.

I would pay $ 1100 in Michigan

Those look like beautiful LaScalas worth every bit of $1100+ as a final sale. The high starting bid is a perception problem, not a good strategy.

Plus, what everyone else said, tax, local only, etc.

One comment, don't be shy about the performance of LaScalas with subs. Yes, subs are recommended but not absolutely necessary. But the big advantage is that you have total flexibility with regard to placement. I run 2 subs + LaScalas and it's very very good. There are threads here where notable forum members express opinions that there are performance advantages over Khorns (Las + subs). They are worth searching and reading.

Whoever gets this fine looking pair of LaScalas eventually will be very happy.

They're nice. If I didn't have KHorns, I would have paid that much for decent-looking LaScalas like that. If money is not an issue, get KHorns so you won't have to read all those "bass-lacking" threads in agony and disbelief. [;)]

I think LaScalas are plenty good, and I do not fall into the camp that says they can't do bass. But I have to say, at least I don't have to suffer thread after thread telling me how my speakers suck.

Kind of funny nobody spends their time bashing a far inferior speaker made by Klipsch - like the (well I won't go there). I guess you can call it "Schattenfreude!" [:P]