SS amps, integrated vs seperate.

RTTR

This is something I have been wondering for a long time. Basically what the thread says, how much of a difference do you actaully get running a seperate amp and pre-amp over the same product in an integrated form?

Such as seperates line the NAD C272 amp + C162 pre-amp compared to the integrated NAD C372

One thing I do notice, just taking NAD into consideration again, buying

the C272 and C162 seperatelly the price tag would be $1300, but for

basically the same thing the C373 is $900, do the seperates use better

components?

strikethrough.gif

removeformat.gif

separator.horizontal.gif

justifyleft.gif

justifyright.gif

justifycenter.gif

justifyfull.gif

separator.horizontal.gif

bulletedlist.gif

numberedlist.gif

separator.horizontal.gif

createlink.gif

unlink.gif

insertimage.gif

separator.horizontal.gif

netspell.gif

toolbar.horizontal.end.gif

interesting question...I have had several integrateds and have enjoyed them but some of the "others" have stated that integrateds are bad and you should only have "true" separates...integrateds are sometimes treated as the red headed stepchild so to speak...It would seem that integrateds are just that...the amp and pre integrated together but they most times weigh less than the two together (perhaps the second case accounts for this?) but I wonder...I will be very interested in the responses here.

Bill

As with all things audio, there are poorly implemented examples of integrated amps, and poorly implemented seperates, just as there are outstanding examples of both. As far as lousy amps, I'm sure forum members here can list their personal experiences with many seperates. I could list one or two of my own experiences with amps that I couldn't wait to get rid of, but I'd rather not offend or start a flame war.

I'm the proud owner of an integrated amp, in my main system, that I wouldn't trade for anything.

The reason most high end systems are separates, or components is that

the more you can isolate the signal path the better the channel

separation which will result in better imaging.

With Integrated, somehting is shared. Some electrical components, power supplies, ground points.

Think Separates, think channel isolation.

JM