Surprised from the bass

Jeff Matthews

Yesterday, I threw on ELP's "Brain Salad Surgery" CD. I let the first couple of songs rip. Song 2 is "Tocatta." I haven't played that track in a few years, and that was before I had my KHorns.

That song has some low lows, and the bass really surprised me. I was on the second floor, and you could feel the floor shaking with sustained bass notes. It kind of scared me a little that I might blow the speakers. But I knew I wouldn't because I've had it plenty louder before on other songs.

Anyway, that song, for now, will be a good bass reference song for me.

I have heard (in the never-ending LaScala bashing threads) reference to some songs that go real low because of pipe organs and tympani drums. I assume these are symphonies. What music was being referenced? Anyone have some song names and CD titles?

Does a decent copy of Brain Salad Surgery exist? I have yet to hear a good mastering of this. In my usage and systems, BSS is the "sibilance" test, as the recording brings the "hash" to the fore in all but the best tweaked systems.

"Tocatta" hits really hard - and then the sweet sounds of "Still You Turn Me On" make for one of my favorite pair of tunes to test out Klipsch. Nice way to see what your speakers can do....

As for low bass tests, I would think electronic stuff would be a good way to push the envelope - pipe organ works good too. None are really "my genre", so I'll leave specifics to others.

Does a decent copy of Brain Salad Surgery exist? I have yet to hear a good mastering of this. In my usage and systems, BSS is the "sibilance" test, as the recording brings the "hash" to the fore in all but the best tweaked systems.

"Tocatta" hits really hard - and then the sweet sounds of "Still You Turn Me On" make for one of my favorite pair of tunes to test out Klipsch. Nice way to see what your speakers can do....

As for low bass tests, I would think electronic stuff would be a good way to push the envelope - pipe organ works good too. None are really "my genre", so I'll leave specifics to others.

It has been so long I don't know. My best friend had a copy of the british import on the manticore label that sounded good at the time....

I don't like to copy and distribute due to piracy issues, but I found one for you. $8.97 from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000033TE/104-9188295-1779958?v=glance&n=5174

Thanks Jeff. back in our youth when we made tapes and shared them with friends, was it piracy? I have seen web sites still devoted to this. Just wondering. I will probably get the cd and continue my search for the elusive vinyl.

I don't like to copy and distribute due to piracy issues, but I found one for you. $8.97 from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000033TE/104-9188295-1779958?v=glance&n=5174

Thanks Jeff. back in our youth when we made tapes and shared them with friends, was it piracy? I have seen web sites still devoted to this. Just wondering. I will probably get the cd and continue my search for the elusive vinyl.

Actually, it was, and we didn't know.... Good thing there's these things called "statutes of limitations."

Also, I didn't know you wanted vinyl. I have no vinyl at all. Nor do I have any clue where you could still buy the stuff (new). I'd fear buying used because who knows whose skips and pops you might inherit.

I remember the first copy of Brain Salad Surgery I bought was on vinyl. It was also my first ELP. Remember Safeway grocery stores? I bought it there on a Sunday at noon sharp. I found the album at 11:45 or so and had to wait 'til noon because of the "Blue Laws." Remember the old "Blue Laws?"

I have the DVD-Audio version of Brain Salad Surgery in 5.1 Surround .

You oughta buy this one.

It smokes the two channel version.

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - BRAIN SALAD.. - DVD AUDIO -NEW!

s.gif

$15.49

Buy It Now

Like..... does this have video? [:o] I'd love to see an ELP concert video - a good one. I saw Asia on HBO years ago, and Carl Palmer was just fun to watch - and that was with Asia. Imagine seeing him on a concert video with ELP.

I have the DVD-Audio version of Brain Salad Surgery in 5.1 Surround .

You oughta buy this one.

It smokes the two channel version.

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - BRAIN SALAD.. - DVD AUDIO -NEW!

s.gif

$15.49

Buy It Now

Like..... does this have video? [:o] I'd love to see an ELP concert video - a good one. I saw Asia on HBO years ago, and Carl Palmer was just fun to watch - and that was with Asia. Imagine seeing him on a concert video with ELP.

Yes, there is some video on the DVD...hidden in the extra's file. All DVD-Audio's come w/ lyric's too.

And this 5.1 surround DVD also has a 2-channel mix,... for you none surround fellows.

An INCREDIBLE remastered quality ! DVD-Audio is the only one to buy !

I have the vinyl too and there is no comparison.

Don't spend your money on anything other than the DVD-Audio of this recording.

You'll have to trust me on this one.

Low notes:

Jeff,

A 4 string bass (electric or acoustic) goes down to about 40Hz. Large pipe organs go down to 32Hz or 16z depending on the nature of the lowest ranks of pipes.

There are plenty of recordings of the Saint-Saens Symphony #3 ("The Organ Symphony). The 1st and 4th movements of that symphony are the loudest, but the second and third contain many examples of very strong and clear notes below 40Hz. Depending on the organ involved, there are plent of either 32Hz or 16Hz notes (the "low C). I have only heard these notes (or more correctly probably "felt" these notes) in my systems when using a subwoofer.

If you have the opportunity to attend a live concert of a large pipe organ, you can get a feel for what these really low notes are like.

Not very many other instruments go lower than 40Hz. There are synthesizers, bass drum, 5-string bass.

Leo

Last DVD-A we bought was Porcupine Tree 'Deadwing'. Very cool.

Jeff - How many people have to tell you do try this? You can start with your khorns & corns.

I'm going to try 'Fragile'. My expectations are high.

Craig - Do you know of any handy-dandy dvd-a links for lists of availability?

Jeff - How many people have to tell you do try this? You can start with your khorns & corns.

I've never even heard of Porcupine Tree. As to Primus, the only name I can recall is "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver." [:P]

MeAgain:

NO immediate links for DVD-Audio.

I always use my search engines and just go on the fly, when I have the the budget.

Just type in DVD-Audio.