I need your help re:speaker wire for my k-horns.

Dmitry

Electrician will put them through the walls as soon as I buy.

It will feed music from a Scott 299 brought back to life by Senor 3dzapper.

I'm not big on expensive cables. What's a good dyi cable for K-horns, and what's a good commercially-available cable?

Thanks.

I got the cable - it's the Monster Cable XP-CI in-wall rated 100 ft. spool at Best Buy's for $80.

My next question is at what hight should the cables exit the wall to attach to the K-Horns? At the height of the terminals on the speaker body?

500 ft 12 gauge copper $60 at Home Depot. I choose to spend money on things other than wire. The electrons don't know the difference. Why spoil them? The electrons have to to flow through steel chasssis and terminals, copper voice coils, etc., irrespective of what you use instead of zip cord as speaker cables.

The oxidation thing is way over worried about. I still have lots of zip

cord gage and quality wire that is over 25 years old and still works

as good as the day it was made. I know it is in good shape because it

has clear insulation and you can clearly see that it is not oxidized.

There is no reason to spend big bucks on wire. If you are really

worried about it, leave an extra foot or so at each end and after 20

years or so, cut the end off and give yourself "fresh" wire. Designer

wire is a HUGE waste of money.

I got the cable - it's the Monster Cable XP-CI in-wall rated 100 ft. spool at Best Buy's for $80.

My next question is at what hight should the cables exit the wall to attach to the K-Horns? At the height of the terminals on the speaker body?

$15 worth of 16 gage wire for $80. No excessive profit there.

This all very enlightening stuff. However, I needed an in-wall rated wire, so the electrician would do everything up to code, the way it should be. So that's the wire I got.

My question still stands - at what hight should the cables exit the wall to attach to the K-Horns? At the height of the terminals on the speaker body or a bit lower?

If I was doing the job, I would have the wire come out of the wall in boxes, installed at the height of the rest of the outlets in the room. This way, if you ever move the Khorns, or sell the house, a blank cover will go over the outlet boxes and will blend into the room.

EDIT: Also I would run the wire in flex conduit for ease of replacement or upgrades at a future date. Of course I would wire the whole house in flex conduit instead of that crappy romex. But that is just the old school electrician in me.

Okay, I think I see the question. It is good anticipation of a potental problem. I might not be getting all the issues though.

The spec on the website for the current K-Horn shows it is 50.75 inches tall.

The top, home plate piece is most probably 0.75 inch MDF. The older ones used ply, but still the same thickness.

The front baffle for the mid and tweeter is 10 inches tall the time I measured one at a friend's place. The terminals are on a crossover board which itself is 0.75 tall, sitting in the bottom of the 10 inch tall chamber. It is recessed

I don't know the set up on the newest K-Horn. Part of the back may be closed off by a board. None the less, I'd think the window is the same as can be inferred from the above and the input terminal is at that height..

So you can see how this all measures up. A set of terminals on some sort of wall plate should be between 50 and 40 inches above the floor. 45 inches will put it in the middle and give you some room for variations. It may be safer to go an inch or two lower because of the following.

Let me also state that there may well be some variation between the current K-Horn with what I think is a thinner "collar" between the bass bin and the upper cabinet (0.75 ?), the classis collar on the B style which is 1 inch (?) and the classic C style which does not have any collar.

K-Horn owners can give more precise information from first hand experience.

The problem is that people like to seal off the bass bin in the back with weather strip and thus running the feed wire up from floor could get in the way. Therefore getting the wall terminal square in the middle of the upper cabinet is a good idea.

On the other hand, drooping feed wire could be a problem too. You'll have to get the K-Horn very close to the wall and make all the hookup with a short lengtht , then push the cabinet into place. If the wire sags, it could get in the way. Perhaps a long thick rubber band could be rigged to take up the slack. Or maybe a thread to hold up the loop of feed wire as you push the cabinet back.

I may be wrong about what you're trying to accomplish. Take all my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Best,

Gil